Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/4/2008 6:15:14 PM EDT
i was shooting my old bushy m-4 on sunday, after about 200 shots my extractor broke!!!this gun is over 10 years old and i have  shot the hell out of it! im guessing the round count has to be well over 12000 to 15000 rounds and most of it was wolf.its fixed and she still works and shoots good.i need to starting adding more spare parts to my bug out bag..
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:17:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Post some pics for us all to see.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:46:45 PM EDT
[#2]
sorry i tossed the extractor!!!it was a clean break of the claw portion .so it couldnt hold the rim of  the case.that cracked  pice was still in side the  locking lugs. i needed to use the chamber brush to get it out .thank god that it wouldnt lock up or i would have had a kaboom!!!!
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:59:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Why do you sound surprised that a part broke on your rifle after it has been fired between 12 and 15 thousand times?
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:02:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't think he's surprised, just overusing exclamation marks.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:29:59 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
sorry i tossed the extractor!!!

Ahhhhh........ that’s too bad.

I asked about the pic, because it’s always nice to have examples on how parts fail. That way, others new to the AR have an idea on where to inspect their own parts.

Thanks for the info though.  
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:34:30 AM EDT
[#6]

extractors and gas rings are the only parts i replace on my high round-count firearms as preventative maintenence.

Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:40:37 AM EDT
[#7]
And imagine what could have happened if it left a round in the chaimber and you/somebody thought it was empty!!!!!!!.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:43:18 AM EDT
[#8]
12k to 15k? that is better then my extractor, on my 23k rifle my extractor failed at 9k.

I also shoot all wolf.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 6:31:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Just curious, anyone have an extractor break using brass ammo?

Broken extractor stories usually include, "I shoot Wolf".
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 7:09:11 AM EDT
[#10]
height=8
Quoted:

What's your point?  

If I can save over $100 per 1000 rounds using Wolf over brass, I think a $15 extractor every 5-10 thousand rounds is worth it.

Link Posted: 6/5/2008 1:54:38 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's your point?  

If I can save over $100 per 1000 rounds using Wolf over brass, I think a $15 extractor every 5-10 thousand rounds is worth it.

nah, he is just being a hero justifing spending double (or triple) for brass to save a $8 part.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top