Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/3/2008 6:57:40 PM EDT
I'm trying to find out who may have made this upper, and how old it may be.  The lack of the brass deflector, style of the sights (front is 5 detent pin style) and BCG suggest it's old.  No markings on the BCG.  Any idea what it might be worth as it sits? I shot it, runs out fine.   And no, it's not my upper, but I was considering trying to buy it.

Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:13:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Markings on the barrel?
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:18:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Is that a pinned flash hider or a 16" barrel with a slip over flash hider?
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:55:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Delta ring in new..not flat
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:59:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks like an 11.5" W/pinned f/s

M16 carrier might hint at some select-fire time through that barrel?
Not a big deal, but barrel could be more beat than you think...
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:14:30 PM EDT
[#5]
M16A1 upper, assembled with A2 port door, slip ring and forward assist.  The transition period, when parts from both version were in common circulation, was 1984-1990, or thereabouts.  It probably comes from that era.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:43:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Barrel looks really good, very strong rifling. The FH has no apparant pin, perhaps it's been glossed over, hard to tell.  Did they ever have them as a screw on?  Perhaps this was a shorty barrel that someone made compliant for rifle use.  No marks on the barrel at all, even under the handguards.   IIRC the lower was a Rock Island or something similar, definitely semi and not NFA.  Not Rock River, either.   1984-90...I didn't realize they still made them like this that late...thank you for the breakdown!
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 2:02:28 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
M16A1 upper, assembled with A2 port door, slip ring and forward assist.  The transition period, when parts from both version were in common circulation, was 1984-1990, or thereabouts.  It probably comes from that era.

Except that w/o forge mark, the upper is an early XM16E1 piece---if it's a Colt unit.  May have been an arsenal rebuild during the later period. The unmarked carrier would also possibly be an early Colt piece

Is the forward assist fully round, or does it have a flat milled on the inner side?  If full round, it was meant to be put on an M16A1.  If it has a flat milled onto it, and in fact is a Colt piece, it was a later job meant to go on an M16A2 lower.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 2:29:44 AM EDT
[#8]
It's round, size of a nickel, and has rings like a target.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top