Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2008 6:10:21 PM EDT
i was thinking of buying a KAC rail system one of the ones that uses the original delta ring. but a man i know in the army explained a good point to me that after time while he was using his that it would actually distort the barrel and cause him and his fellow soldiers to have to resight there weapons so. im leaning more towards the free float way  does anyone have any experience and tips on how i can put one on myself??? ive read that it requires you to remove the flash hider.... unfortunately i cant do this as i am here in Kalifornia =/ if it is true does anyone know any other ways i can install a FF???? pics and installation procedures would be much appreciated
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:16:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Lots of existing threads about this topic.  Since you cannot remove the muzzle brake you'll need to select one of the free-float handguards that clamps to the standard barrel nut such as Troy makes.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:17:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Move from kali?

I have a non free float from kac and i love it, havnt distorted my barrel though Was cheap to, 225 with kac covers and grip, brand new
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:26:14 PM EDT
[#3]
hmmmm :( makes me sad i do plan to leave cali in a couple years cant stand it here no more but there has to be a way cant i remove the whole barrel and put the FF on like that ??? instead of taking off the flash hider and FSB???
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:07:24 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
hmmmm :( makes me sad i do plan to leave cali in a couple years cant stand it here no more but there has to be a way cant i remove the whole barrel and put the FF on like that ??? instead of taking off the flash hider and FSB???

You're obviously not familiar with freefloat handguards for the AR15.  Handguards like KAC and Larue use a proprietery barrel nut that must be installed in place of the standard barrel nut.  That barrel nut will not fit over the front sight or any available style of low profile gas block and the front sight base will not fit over the muzzle brake.  

As I've already said, if you want to use install a free float handguard you will need to use a style that clamps to the existing barrel nut, such as the Troy.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:11:15 PM EDT
[#5]
no im not familiar with many of the free float designs i was just thinking of ways around it if it was possible =/ guess not
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 12:17:52 AM EDT
[#6]
He just said it was possible TWICE.  Use a two piece design like is sold by Troy, Samson, MI etc.  That type requires cuttin goff the delta ring.  You could keep all your parts on the rifle and install a DD Omega.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 12:43:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Check out these links to see what these guys are talking about. I think you may get a better understanding if you read this info!

www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63

www.amronintl.com/tactical/products.cfm?id=5789

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top