Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/2/2008 11:10:27 PM EDT
Just out of curiosity, anyone know anything about how the Marine Corps SAM rifle has evolved in the past years (if at all)? The Wikipedia article is very useful, but from what I gather the information is a few years old. Has the SAM-R been changed at all? Maybe URX? ACOG?

Any information would be great.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:26:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Bump.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:11:47 AM EDT
[#2]
I can email some folks and ask, but I would not expect much change at all, and certainly not the use of the URX.  Some Marines may, possibly, temporarily (as the optic is part of the weapon) swapped out for a RCO, but I doubt it's common.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:22:05 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Just out of curiosity, anyone know anything about how the Marine Corps SAM rifle has evolved in the past years (if at all)? The Wikipedia article is very useful, but from what I gather the information is a few years old. Has the SAM-R been changed at all? Maybe URX? ACOG?

Are you familiar with the whole east coast/west coast thing about the SAM-R?
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:44:56 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you familiar with the whole east coast/west coast thing about the SAM-R?

Only what is given on the Wikipedia article. In fact, that is probably the extent of my knowledge of the SAM-R. I couldn't even find any more recent photos of the SAM-R. The Wiki photos look old, before the Marines switched to MARPAT.

Any info is good, thanks.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:01:09 AM EDT
[#5]
What's described in the wiki is the "east coast" SAM-R, which is the "official" SAM-R.  The guys at Pendleton were tired of waiting for the real one to be finalized and thought it was too heavy anyway.  The west coast version is much simpler, not much different than an M16A4 with an ACOG.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:09:29 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
What's described in the wiki is the "east coast" SAM-R, which is the "official" SAM-R.  The guys at Pendleton were tired of waiting for the real one to be finalized and thought it was too heavy anyway.  The west coast version is much simpler, not much different than an M16A4 with an ACOG.

I thought the West Coast version WAS a M16A4 with ACOG.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 10:21:05 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And a bipod.  I thought there was some other minor change but I could be mistaken.  
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 11:11:20 AM EDT
[#8]
The Marines are issuing Mk12 Mod1's now.  Don't know about the SAM-R though.  
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 11:47:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Wow, always thought that was an SF thing.

BTW, found another SAM rifle image here. Look like its got the KAC QD silencer on.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 12:14:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Yep, I was surprised as well.  A member of this board was issued one and posted pics:

Link Posted: 6/3/2008 12:45:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the pics. I guess Mark 12 is a Navy designation. What surprises me the most is that the SPR does not have a bayonet lug. I always thought the Marines really liked to keep the bayonet lug (and hence the KAC front sight/gasblock).

Any info on whether the SPR will be replacing the SAMRs, or is it some sort of concurrent deployment?
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 12:48:23 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Thanks for the pics. I guess Mark 12 is a Navy designation. What surprises me the most is that the SPR does not have a bayonet lug. I always thought the Marines really liked to keep the bayonet lug (and hence the KAC front sight/gasblock).

The SPR has an 18" barrel and a rifle length gas system which makes a bayonet lug pointless.  And that's not even considering whether the Ops Inc brake and collar will work with a bayonet.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 12:51:38 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And a bipod.  I thought there was some other minor change but I could be mistaken.  

Probably the Norton AMBI MAG-Catch and and  a ambi selector (they have been approved on Issue weapons by the MARINES, if requested by soldiers)
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 12:51:51 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The SPR has an 18" barrel and a rifle length gas system which makes a bayonet lug pointless.  And that's not even considering whether the Ops Inc brake and collar will work with a bayonet.

And hence my assumption that the Marines were avoiding the SPR just for that reason.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 12:54:16 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And hence my assumption that the Marines were avoiding the SPR just for that reason.

The M40 doesn't have a bayonet lug either...

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top