Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/2/2008 9:28:20 PM EDT
Hey all, this isn't an AR-only question, but figured I'd ask here given everyone's experience.  Please move if you know of a better home for it- but only after some good replies ;)

I'm a minimally-invasive type of shooter. Meaning, I like shooting with as little distraction of my natural senses as possible. So, for example, I love electronic muffs and sought a light, low-profile pair.

Similarly, I hate colored glasses or anything that "warps" my vision.

I had purchased some off the rack plastic glasses when I first got my gear. Problem is, they have that safety glass design (www.alligata.co.uk/media/gbu0/prodsm/safety-glasses.jpg) and so are nearly impossible to use with earmuffs, owing to the thick plastic on the sides.

What I need are a good pair with thin oakley-style sides (www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=195741)

I know it's not a major issue, but anyone have suggestions for something relatively cheap, very clear/non-distorted, comfortable, and just good overall?

Available on midway would be an added plus, since I've got an order pending anyway.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 9:42:55 PM EDT
[#1]
When it comes to my eyes I spare no expense; after all you only have one set.

I've been using Oakley M-Frames since day 1 and they're the best IMO.  On duty I use Oakley XXs.   Considering they'll last a long time if taken cared of, the price is not bad at all.  
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 10:06:28 PM EDT
[#2]
May be a bit outside my price range.  Any others?
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 10:17:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 12:08:55 AM EDT
[#4]
http://www.revisioneyewear.com/
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 12:30:50 AM EDT
[#5]
ESS Eyeshields. Fantastic value for money and they work.

I've had multiple sets over the years (they keep upgrading the design and, of course, I just have to get the new ones) and they've always been spot on.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 1:01:04 AM EDT
[#6]
check these out! I love them!!!   And this is a really good price.

www.coopersafety.com/item/100813/Wiley-X-PT-1-with-Clear-Lenses.aspx
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 5:08:30 AM EDT
[#7]
I use the WileyX RomerII a little up there in price but real nice. No distortion and 3 different lense types (clear,smoke,amber) I think they came in around 80$ or so.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:55:05 AM EDT
[#8]
We use these at work, so I use them for shooting. They are very comfortable (all day wear) They come in a variety of different shades/colored lenses. But since you asked for clear lenses- they do make them in clear. They have all the safety ratings. As far as the price, you can't beat them IMO.
Here is a link to a website that sells them, I just did a search(not endorsing the website). But this is a typical price.
Ztek
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:25:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks guys. The only thing is I'm looking to buy something a bit cheaper so I can stock up on 3 pairs or so for people who come with me. Don't mean to be getting picky here, but any other suggestions below $30? I guess my quality/price point here is "really good disposable"

Oh, and sbninja, though those are indeed cheap, they have a thick side which is bad for earmuffs.   But thanks!
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:37:56 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Thanks guys. The only thing is I'm looking to buy something a bit cheaper so I can stock up on 3 pairs or so for people who come with me. Don't mean to be getting picky here, but any other suggestions below $30? I guess my quality/price point here is "really good disposable"

Oh, and sbninja, though those are indeed cheap, they have a thick side which is bad for earmuffs.   But thanks!

I bought a few of the generic clear sets from Home Depot.  They're ANSI Z87 rated and cheap, $10 or less.  They are very comfortable, simple, and don't distort my view. I bought them as a backup and for taking others to the range.

ETA:
These are the ones:
www.aosafety.com/diy/eye_detail.cfm?con_prod_num=90525&con_family_id=146&con_platform_id=7
They are made by AO Safety and work well with earmuffs.  
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:41:06 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Actually the picture might be deceiving. The side/arms are not thick, they lay flat, I use them with ear muffs - and they work fine. IMO for the price, order a pair, and try it yourself if you dont like them you are only out a couple of bucks

The lenses are clear. Like you, I don't see the need to pay a lot of 'extra'money for safety glasses. You will just be paying for a hyped up name. the high dollar "safety" glasses are NOT any safer than other safety glasses. Just get what fits best, and has ANSI ratings.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:39:58 AM EDT
[#12]
While the standard Oakley M Frames are $100+ plus shipping or tax if you get tem locally you can buy the  SI version with subdued gunmetal Oakley logo (vs the silver commercial one) for $64.99 on Ebay plus $5 shipping.  In fact you can find a pair with a "buy it now" RIGHT NOW and order at your leisure.  There is bidding on a pair with the dark AND clear lenses AND a hard case for $55 with 8 hours left to bid.

I was picky about the lens shape so I bought at full price... if you are not picky about lens shape they are not too expensive and easy to find the SI version on Ebay (this is the govt. issue version sold at a discount to mil, le, and fire fighters).  That $55 kit cost me over $200 at a retail Oakley store.

I have cheaper glasses for other people but I have Oakley M Frames for myself... perhaps you should consider doing the same.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:50:02 AM EDT
[#13]
For those older folks that have to wear bi-focals. It's getting about time for some new glasses and wondered what anyone else does for shotting glasses?
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 1:34:15 PM EDT
[#14]
+1 on that brother

Quoted:
When it comes to my eyes I spare no expense; after all you only have one set.

I've been using Oakley M-Frames since day 1 and they're the best IMO.  On duty I use Oakley XXs.   Considering they'll last a long time if taken cared of, the price is not bad at all.  
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 2:20:33 PM EDT
[#15]
shooting glasses should be made of glass or quality made(poured)plastics. The lens shape that is preffered is flat, not rounded like safety glasses, or the majority of innexpensive "shooting" glasses out there. The reason for flat lenses is that when you have youre head down and are aiming you usually are looking through the upper edge of the lense, and rounded and cheap makes for a distorted sight picture. I noticed that with cheap plastic safety glasses my shots are many inches higher than when I wear real, flat lensed glass, shooting glasses.

So I guess anything will work to keep flying debris out of youre eyes, but not all shooting glasses are alike. And as far as what brand mine are I have no clue because my dad gave them too me and he has had them for many years.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top