Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/2/2008 4:20:54 PM EDT
does anyone have pictures of thier A2 carry handle with optics or scope. if so, maybe a short discription of parts used would be helpful also. I love my A2 as it is (BUIS) but would like to see what others have done.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 4:54:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Mini ACOG would be a good choice.
Sorry, no pics.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 4:54:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Tac point, gooseneck of questionable lineage from a gun show, and a Burris xtreme tactical low ring.

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk136/4js_01/ar001.jpg
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 5:06:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Aimpoint M2 or M3 with an ARMS 16A mount.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 5:06:49 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Tac point, gooseneck of questionable lineage from a gun show, and a Burris xtreme tactical low ring.

i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk136/4js_01/ar001.jpg

That 6520 is sweet( if that's what it is) seems simple, well though out, and functional.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 5:07:39 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
does anyone have pictures of thier A2 carry handle with optics or scope. if so, maybe a short discription of parts used would be helpful also. I love my A2 as it is (BUIS) but would like to see what others have done.

I see a lot of guys with a2's run Reflexes on goose neck mounts
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 5:26:50 PM EDT
[#6]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

That 6520 is sweet( if that's what it is) seems simple, well though out, and functional.

It is a 6520, and thank you. It gets used a lot.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 5:38:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Aimpoint Micro on an ARMS #2 mount works for me:
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 5:45:28 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
i150.photobucket.com/albums/s95/MMcfpd/A2_w_Aimpoint.jpg

I have been thinking about this set-up.  I know many people are oposed to a dot sight on a cary handle, but it seems like the H-1 / micro dot would keep the dot fairly close to the same plane as the irons.  

How do you like your set-up MMcfpd?
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 5:49:41 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have been thinking about this set-up.  I know many people are oposed to a dot sight on a cary handle, but it seems like the H-1 / micro dot would keep the dot fairly close to the same plane as the irons.  

I like it a lot; enough so that I'm going to duplicate it on another rifle. The irons are right there just below the red dot, and, being a red dot, your cheek weld is not as critical as it is with a scope. I can recommend this setup without reservation.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 6:21:35 PM EDT
[#10]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

I like it a lot; enough so that I'm going to duplicate it on another rifle. The irons are right there just below the red dot, and, being a red dot, your cheek weld is not as critical as it is with a scope. I can recommend this setup without reservation.

Nice setup. I like that stock.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 7:04:34 PM EDT
[#11]
I tried out the ARMS 16A mount on an M16A1 with a M2.  Hated it.  The height-over bore makes close range shots impractical.  Inside of 15 yards it required floating the red dot over the targets head to hit the center of the head.  I am faster and more accurate with the A1 sights than I am with the chin weld ARMS set up at any range.  On a carbine with a collapsible stock it might work adequately for fast COM shots, but that's about it.  On a full length rifle with a fixed stock awkward is the best word I can think of to describe it.  If you're still interested after my glowing review check the EE, there are a couple posted there .

On my personal gun (LMT Defender 2000) I have used the M2 in a Larue LT-150 mount and it worked as expected.  I like it so much that a Micro T-1 just appeared at my house.  I am going to try out the Aimpoint gooseneck/QRP package on my work gun in the next week or two.  Personally I think the gooseneck mounts look ridiculous, but IMHO proper function is more important than appearance.

I'll update after a day at the range in a week or so and post pics of my work gun.  The fit & finish crowd is going to explode.  It is a 40 year old Colt M16A1 with uneven front sight ears, a gray/black/raw aluminum mismatched finish, and the lower and upper are the loosest I've ever seen.  Works like a champ and is more accurate than I am.

IMHO anything mounted on the carryhandle adds too much height over bore, a terrible chin weld, and this cancels out the advantages that optics offer over your irons.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 1:51:51 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

The mount base on the right is a copy of the base Jim Leatherwood designed for his auto ranging scope setup during the Viet Nam War. I've had one for over 25 years. As far as I'm concerned, it's the best base ever produced for the original type upper. Gives you support at the front end and extends the mounting surface significantly.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:33:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Bushnell Holosight mounted on a Surefire rail.

http://img373.imageshack.us/img373/3897/img0616em0.jpg
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 4:48:36 AM EDT
[#14]
RRA Tasc with leupold 3-9x

And this is with a cheapo BSA on a unknown carry handle mount that I use when I shoot .22lr through the TASC. For what its worth the BSA is good for .22 but not so much when useing .223 out to 100yrds
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 5:07:55 AM EDT
[#15]
No picts, but I'm running a TA-01 ACOG on my A2.

Irons for close range work, and the 4x is great at long range (200+ yards).

Av.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:47:49 PM EDT
[#16]
height=8
Quoted:
does ti seem to hold a zero and what mounting bracket do you use? I like the way it looks, clean and usable.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:57:02 PM EDT
[#17]
height=8
Quoted:
Bushnell Holosight mounted on a Surefire rail.

img373.imageshack.us/img373/3897/img0616em0.jpg
I love the looks of this set-up. can you still used the iron sights? what kind of distance can you reasonably shoot with it? and how about cost? is it reasonable? would you recommend it to a noob? thanks, ....
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:58:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Mini-ACOG?
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:08:38 PM EDT
[#19]
height=8
Quoted:
I tried out the ARMS 16A mount on an M16A1 with a M2.  Hated it.  The height-over bore makes close range shots impractical.  Inside of 15 yards it required floating the red dot over the targets head to hit the center of the head.  I am faster and more accurate with the A1 sights than I am with the chin weld ARMS set up at any range.  On a carbine with a collapsible stock it might work adequately for fast COM shots, but that's about it.  On a full length rifle with a fixed stock awkward is the best word I can think of to describe it.  If you're still interested after my glowing review check the EE, there are a couple posted there havethanksfor responding, please let me know how it works or you. i am very interested, thanks again...I'll update after a day at the range in a week or so and post pics of my work gun.  The fit & finish crowd is going to explode.  It is a 40 year old Colt M16A1 with uneven front sight ears, a gray/black/raw aluminum mismatched finish, and the lower and upper are the loosest I've ever seen.  Works like a champ and is more accurate than I am.

IMHO anything mounted on the carryhandle adds too much height over bore, a terrible chin weld, and this cancels out the advantages that optics offer over your irons.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top