Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/1/2008 9:30:46 PM EDT
I was perusing the plethora of AR accessories, and ran across the black jack buffer, Linky what they claim makes sense, but since I couldn’t find any claims to substantiate it anywhere else I can’t be sure.

Have any of you used them, does it give a notable improvement?

Thanks.

Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:50:43 AM EDT
[#1]
snake oil my friend, just stick to the factory buffer.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 5:55:30 AM EDT
[#2]
The theory is nice but the original buffer "should" just be lightly kissing the back of the buffer tube anyway.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 7:16:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Well on something like an AK which was not designed to have any kind of soft buffer adding a buffer can make a difference.  An AR already has a buffer tip of the right durometer.  If you want reduced recoil you should use a heavier buffer if you have a normal DI rifle.  If you want more than that you should get a recoil reducing buffer like the MGI or Enidine.  Past that you need a stronger recoil spring like the Tubb flat spring (extra power) or the MGI 2X power spring.  Taking a design and adding a softer durometer polymer cap in place of the current one wont have much of an effect, if any.  Put your money toward a product that ACTUALLY has noticeable improvements.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 12:52:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I didn’t think it would make a whole lot of difference; I’m shying away from enedine and anything hydraulic or pneumatic, I want it to work 100% of the time.
I read several reviews where people’s hydraulic and pneumatic buffers failed after a few hundred rounds.

I’ve seen the MGI rate reducing buffer, I know if reduces cyclic rates, does it reduce recoil too?

And as far as the stronger springs go would I actually notice any difference?
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 1:06:23 PM EDT
[#5]
IMO springs make a huge difference in felt recoil.  The Enidine and MGI are about the same in reduced felt and cyclic rate... the MGI is a hair better in DI rifles.

You do know that Enidine buffers are used in the M249 and M240 dont you?  They are used in a large number of other military applications as well.  You are not any more likely to have an issue with the Enidine than any other part of your rifle.  If it was not a defective part (any part of anything you buy has a chance of being defective) it wont give out on you for the lifetime of your rifle.  This is not an Oly Arms pneumatic buffer... its an Enidine, please dont group them together.  To me, someone saying they wont run one becasue of reliability reasons makes about as much sense as someone saying they wont run shocks in their car for reliability reasons.

My rifle has a substantial improvement with the Enidine and extra power Wolff spring combo.  I am getting a Tubb flat wire extra power spring to see if I can reduce it even further.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:15:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Maybe so but I still don’t trust it. The only reason I got an AR over an AK type rifle is because the bolt stays open after the last shot and it’s much easier to reload an AR.
If I had the money I’d’ve got a Sig or a gas piston AR.
The AR has enough little parts as it is IMO.

Anyway that out of the wayhave
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 11:31:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes my rifle is a LWRC and it comes with an H2 buffer and the heavier springs as standard.  Earlier versions had a regular carbine spring and H buffer and thats what I ran previously.  I have tried all various permutations as well as 9mm buffer and MGI buffer.  The last thing I want to try is the Tubb spring which someone else has already used successfully.  I think the Tubb plus Enidine will be all I can do before I loose reliability with underpowered ammo like Wolf.  I am not willing to accept any decrease in reliability.  The MGI 2X spring with the Enidine or MGI buffer would probably work with 5.56 loads but I want it to lock back on weak ammo.

The best way to trust an Enidine buffer is to just buy one and use it.  Since it wont fail you you have nothing to loose but your misconceptions.    MGI used to even offer to refund your money if you didnt like the MGI buffer after 30 days or so.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top