Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2008 7:49:23 PM EDT
Sabre Defence 16" middy on a CMT receiver with a Troy 10" lite rail & Young's NM BCG
PRI Gasbuster charging handle

sitting on top of

a 2 stage RRA lower with LMT's SOPMOD for a stock?

Troy BUIS & ACOG to follow
Am I missing anything?

Comments? Suggestions?
Also, I'm planning on throwing a Gemmy Halo on the business end as well.

Pointers on blowback, alternate length setup (no sbr for now, want accuracy first) etc?
Thanks ahead of time for input!
Seth
Link Posted: 5/23/2008 8:10:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I like my middy the best. I like  the Magpul CTR stock myself.
Link Posted: 5/23/2008 8:28:37 PM EDT
[#2]
From appearance I'm assuming the LMT is slightly heavier & I'm hoping that will balance out the moderator a little better...
Link Posted: 5/23/2008 8:39:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Have you felt the CTR on a gun?  If  you havent you might try to before you make your decision.  It also locks nice and tight.  LMT builds nice stuff also. Both are good.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2008 2:33:33 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Sabre Defence 16" middy on a CMT receiver with a Troy 10" lite rail & Young's NM BCG

sitting on top of

a 2 stage RRA lower with LMT's SOPMOD for a stock?

Troy BUIS & ACOG to follow
Am I missing anything?

Comments? Suggestions?
Also, I'm planning on throwing a Gemmy Halo on the business end as well.

Pointers on blowback, alternate length setup (no sbr for now, want accuracy first) etc?
Seth

Seth,
I think you have some good choices going for ya.

I've had a LMT SOPMOD stock they are nice, but unless your building a longe range setup I'm not sure it's the best choice. Take another look at Magpul's CTR Stock; if you go with that stick to the Milspec over the commerical. I've also had the PRI gas buster charging handle. Again they are nice however they are not 100% For the money your paying for that you could purchase at least three NHMTG Mags and upgrade them with CMMG SS followers and springs.

I like everything else especially going with the Sabre Middy Barrel.

These are only opinions. Keep us posted on this build.

Nevadasun
Link Posted: 5/24/2008 5:26:41 AM EDT
[#5]
I never wen't crazy over the CRT until I tried it!  I have a few of them now.  I removed a SOPMOD on my 14.5 LMT MRP CQB and put the CRT on her.  I thought the balance would be bothersome.  Not at all.  I also put one on my 6.8spc plinker and my NOVESKE.  The desert tan color works well w/ other manufacturers stuff as well.  The LMT SOPMOD tan was way off!!  

Link Posted: 5/24/2008 6:12:54 AM EDT
[#6]
First off, what are you wanting to end up with? What you described sounds like a REECE\Recon type build? Is that what you want?

Quoted:

Troy doesn't make a "lite" rail. Did you mean DD? I hope so because I would not recommend a Troy rail just because I think they are too heavy and fat IMO. I would also recomend skipping the Young NM BCG just because it's a lot of extra money for no real benefit. Just get a BCM or LMT M16 BCG. As far as the stock, grip, optic. That's all kind of personal. I'm not a fan of the SOPMOD stock or ACOG's but a lot of people love them. You can always get them and if you find they don't work for you as you hoped, you can always sell them and try something else. Good luck

Seth
Link Posted: 5/24/2008 8:17:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes, sorry about that. I meant a Daniel Defense Lite rail...

I am also substituting the chrome BCG with a standard one from RRA, though I do like the finish of the Young group. The cost is not worth it though, IMHO.

I want something balanced for offhand shots out to 200+ yards & am considering the ACOG for those beyond that. I like the Aimpoint but I'm afraid it won't suit my needs past 200 or so (What is the practical range of an Aimpoint? Anyone?) I'd think with a 4 moa dot 200 yard hits could be consistent but not nearly as much as a 4x...

Looking @ the CTR a little harder also. Skipping the gas buster until I transfer the Halo.

Now I just need to see if my dealer has the RRA 2 stage kit in yet & we'll get this badboy started.

I'll be ordering my upper after the holiday, will keep this updated.

Seth
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:11:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:18:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I am now torn between the Timney drop in & RRA's NM setup. I know they are like night & day difference... I prefer a single stage, nice & crisp with no takeup.

However... This rifle could conceivably keep the nightstand company.

CTR stock. MIAD grip. FUG on the front.

Aside from the obvious price difference, I'm also torn between the M3 & the 4x from Trijicon.

Again, night & day. 1 rifle. :)

What is the typical setup for an M3 or other 1x red dot system, what yardage do you zero it at? Also how about those BUIS, where are they typically zeroed at?

Forgive my ignorance, if only I didn't have asthma perhaps the AF could have taught me these things....

Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:40:58 PM EDT
[#10]

i would say go for the timney, after i installed one in a build gun for a friend i think it'll give my ChipMc trigger a run. i'm going to try one in my SPR. i've never liked two stage triggers for some reason, don't know, just me i guess.

the TA31F has been the best choice i've made in optics, the second was picking up a TA01. you'll never go wrong with an ACOG.

Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:48:58 PM EDT
[#11]
What is your opinion of the TA01 & why such a price difference between the two?
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 4:15:38 PM EDT
[#12]
the 01 is a great scope for several reasons....

The concept is simple; a durable scope with a reticle that
illuminates in low light situations. And the best part is that it
doesn’t require batteries. Over 25 years later, the original ACOG
stands the test of time and remains one of our most popular items.
ACOG 4x32 Scope with Full Line Red Illumination features black
crosshairs during daytime and tritium illuminates reticle at night.
The reticle ranges out to 800 meters for 5.56 (.223 cal).

i like the 01 for general shooting and it's much better for poping groundhogs and other critters. for an all around scope the 01 is a better choice.

the 31 has the fiberoptic rod and comes with the flat top mount (pos) so trijicon charges an extra leg for the added features. it's also more of a combat optic, perfect for shooting men zombies. the BAC that trijicon talks about helps with CQB and moving targets. i've been able to take a running fox at 80yds while i was on the move with both eyes open.

i'm just saying that a good quality AR and some proper glass will go a long way to make shooting fun and well....easy.

my DD 10" lite rail is sitting on the computer desk looking at me......
the LaRue gas block should be here by weeks end!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top