Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/20/2008 8:56:41 AM EDT
besides carrying in a vehicle, or use with body armour, or keeping the size shorter for transport. what's the benifit of a home use/back yard M4 with a colapsible stock ?
I'm leary about  movement / slop and don't see the need for $100 high end  adj stock.
Other than the coolness factor?.
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 9:00:56 AM EDT
[#1]
I think you'll find with any good retractable stock there will be little to no movement/slop.  The magpul CTR is a very respectable retractable, while the Magpul PRS is a very respectable Stationary.
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 9:09:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, I'll look at the magpull site.
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 9:10:52 AM EDT
[#3]
One benefit is that you can adjust the length of pull for younger shooters and shooters with shorter arms.  I am using the Magpul CTR and there is no movement.
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 9:28:57 AM EDT
[#4]
I like it shorter than most fixed stocks offer.
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 9:30:34 AM EDT
[#5]
I like my retractable stock for several reasons. (I use a Choate on my SBR)
1) I'm 6', but I shoot an AR w/ a short stock.  I keep mine 1 notch short of fully collapsed.
2) My son (6 yo) can shoot it w/ the 22 conversion kit.  I collapse it all the way for him.
3) It fits in a shorter case w/ the stock fully collapsed, which takes up less space in the car & makes it easier to get in/out of the vehicle w/ it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 10:26:57 AM EDT
[#6]
You can adjust your eye relief for scopes when using different positions.
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 11:00:44 AM EDT
[#7]
height=8
Quoted:
I like it shorter than most fixed stocks offer.

So do I, and I finally sacked up and ordered a retractable stock yesterday.
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 11:02:40 AM EDT
[#8]
I like the feel of a fixed but I like the utility of a retractable.  It's nice to be able to put it where you want.  If you're not wearing a bunch of stuff, you may want it out a little more than if you're wearing a heavy coat and a pack.  Or guys wear the armor.

If a fixed fits you, then stick with it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 11:25:22 AM EDT
[#9]
You dont have to chicken wing a shorter stock and can use a propper stance when shooting on the move.
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 11:28:22 AM EDT
[#10]
For short eye relief scopes like the 4x32 ACOGs, or scopes with too much eye relief and can't be mounted further forward, adjustable LOP is appreciated.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top