Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2008 7:52:20 AM EDT
Ok I studied almost every model AR and they all seem to be the same with some a little different, like chrome barrels or steel, the twist and so own.Here is my ? I will be making my first AR buy and I would like to know everybody's advice on what to buy and why. I know everybody's advice will be different , so come with it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 8:01:04 AM EDT
[#1]
First thing you should buy is an airsoft AR. That way after you buy all the really cool,
cheap accessories that everyone said not to buy and you realize it really is junk you will
have a use for it all when you replace it with good quality parts.

Thats not really directed at you, just at the normal trend on here. All in fun.

Get what you would feel comfortable with after research that will fit your needs, not
what a bunch of internet commandos tell you that you need.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 8:04:51 AM EDT
[#2]
I recommend a carbine. light, fast, accurate, and fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 8:06:13 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Ok I studied almost every model AR and they all seem to be the same with some a little different, like chrome barrels or steel, the twist and so own.Here is my ? I will be making my first AR buy and I would like to know everybody's advice on what to buy and why. I know everybody's advice will be different , so come with it.

Sounds like you're purposely trying to stir up a mess for fun.  

Don't.

What did you learn when studying the brands, models and features?  It would be easier to answer your question if you stated your own conclusions first and asked how other peoples' conclusions compared.  If you've done your research, there really are only a few conclusions.

1.) In general you get what you pay for.  

2.) Value is measured in direct relation to usage.

3.) Accuracy can be had affordably, and so can reliability.  Getting both will cost you a lot more.  How much do you want to spend?  
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 8:11:49 AM EDT
[#4]
LMT,Colt, Noveske

I myself like Carbine / M4`s  with 14.5 and 14.7 Barrels Only

Because they are short , Lite and Fast

I also like AR15 RIFLES LIKE  SPR/SDM  18inch & 20inch MAX

# 1 RULE IS KISS
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 8:13:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Look DM, FMJ said KISS!

Give me the pic!
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 8:15:11 AM EDT
[#6]
You need to be more specific.  What will it be used for?  Hunting, plinking, home defense, competition, etc...
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 8:20:26 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Look DM, FMJ said KISS!

Give me the pic!

You got it

Link Posted: 4/17/2008 8:29:59 AM EDT
[#8]
KISS

Link Posted: 4/17/2008 8:32:50 AM EDT
[#9]
KISS old shool tactical

Link Posted: 4/17/2008 8:44:15 AM EDT
[#10]
S&W has a nice product with a good range of price options, if you buy one before the end of the month there is a 100.00 rebate. Kinda nice if there is a store near you that stocks them.

There could be a significant wait if you order one from some of these places... so if your into instant gratification you should go to the local gun store pick out what you can afford.

Or buy some parts and build one!
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 8:51:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Shut-up Meg...
LMT build is what I would go with. Airsoft good too of course
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 8:54:05 AM EDT
[#12]
LMT
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 9:34:26 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Shut-up Meg...

I dont think anyone needs to be telling anyone to shut up on here, but LMT is a great choice.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 9:50:42 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
KISS old shool tactical

i24.photobucket.com/albums/c29/DM1975/smartass/retro-carbine.jpg

when looking you can have 2 out of 3
Quality
Inexpensive
Reliable

pick em' and go...
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 9:53:41 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
S&W has a nice product with a good range of price options, if you buy one before the end of the month there is a 100.00 rebate. Kinda nice if there is a store near you that stocks them.

There could be a significant wait if you order one from some of these places... so if your into instant gratification you should go to the local gun store pick out what you can afford.

Or buy some parts and build one!

+1
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 9:56:41 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Look DM, FMJ said KISS!

Give me the pic!

You got it

i24.photobucket.com/albums/c29/DM1975/smartass/Kiss-rifle.jpg

Functional, and fashionable!
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 10:20:59 AM EDT
[#17]
So is bailing wire or duct tape better to hold on leapers gear and mag lights to your
rifle? I used duct tape on the one above cause all the bailin wire I have is holdin up
my muffler and bumpers on my pickup.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 10:47:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Midlength, Length benifit of a carbine with operation benefits of a rifle. Best of both worlds. Removable carrying handle, unless your heart is set on irons forever

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6642

Make your decision on manufactures from that chart

I vote 1/7 twist, heavier bullets = more damage for the debatable underpowered 5.56

The gun will be the cheapest part of your shooting experience, so i would go colt. i hate to say it cause i own a bushmaster, but colts are superior in all categories (but cost)

I dunno if colt makes midlenghts, if not carbine. carbines are accurate past 5.56 effective range... imo rifle is near useless in 5.56 cal.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 3:37:36 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Shut-up Meg...

I dont think anyone needs to be telling anyone to shut up on here, but LMT is a great choice.

That would seem to be a "Family Guy" reference.  Pretty funny, I guess.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 3:41:40 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Midlength, Length benifit of a carbine with operation benefits of a rifle. Best of both worlds. Removable carrying handle, unless your heart is set on irons forever

www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6642

Make your decision on manufactures from that chart

I vote 1/7 twist, heavier bullets = more damage for the debatable underpowered 5.56

The gun will be the cheapest part of your shooting experience, so i would go colt. i hate to say it cause i own a bushmaster, but colts are superior in all categories (but cost)

I dunno if colt makes midlenghts, if not carbine. carbines are accurate past 5.56 effective range... imo rifle is near useless in 5.56 cal.

Who likes cold links?

You'll probably need some stuff on that chart explained to you.

You can also find the same chart in the general firearms section of the Armory part of this site.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 3:45:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Whatever you choose, go with a basic profile, no optics, no accessories, and just shoot a plain jane AR for a while. Get to know the rifle before customizing. You will be glad you did.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top