Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/16/2008 10:18:57 PM EDT
If I already have an extra 5.56 lower, what do I need to to other than buy a 6.8 SPC upper.
I guess I would have to have 6.8 cal on the side but will the mag well transfer over without
a problem. Will I just be able to buy 25rds 6.8 mags and go to town.

Thanks in advanced for the help,
D
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 10:31:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I just built one using a LAR "multi-caliber" marked lower.  But you dont' have to take the 5.56 marking off your lower, as long as you own the gun and make sure you know it takes 6.8 cartridges.  All 6.8 barrels I have seen are marked "6.8spc" in a location that can be seen when the upper is in place on the rifle.  If you were going to have the firearm in a location where someone else might pick it up and try to fire some 5.56 thru it,  I would put a small piece of tape over the 5.56 and mark it 6.8.
As for the mag well, its the same.  All they did was make the internal portion of the mag wider by removing some grooves from the side of a 5.56 mag and changed the follower.  The 6.8spc 25 round mag is the same width and height externally as the 5.56 thirty round mag.
hope that helped....
be safe,
thomas
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 10:37:31 PM EDT
[#2]
BTW, you will love the 6.8 too.  I don't know what type lower youre putting on, but I built this one using an FN flat-top upper, an ER Shaw barrel, free floated it with a Yankee Hill lightweight float tube, and installed a Rock River two stage trigger.  After breaking it in and scoping it, it will shoot Sub-MOA, at times its all one ragged hole for five shots with Remington Match ammo...about 1/2 moa.  Will make a perfect treestand gun for deer.
have fun,
thomas
Link Posted: 4/19/2008 8:56:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Is there anyone producing 6.8 SPC-marked lowers that have good availability?
(that can be purchased as separate lowers, not as an entire gun)

I've had a hard time finding any.

Link Posted: 4/19/2008 9:19:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I haven't looked at them all but I do know that Bushy offers a 6.8 lower.  Though there are some out there that would turn their nose up at a Bushy.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top