Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/16/2008 7:50:24 PM EDT
Sorry for the new guy question, but I gotta make sure. Just put a lower together (first one) and I am not exactly as familiar with AR's as I would like to be and since this is a general question I thought it fit here better than the build it yourself section. my question is about the safety, is the safety suppose to be able to be engaged while the hammer is not cocked back on an AR15? or only when the hammer is back?

Thanks any responses are greatly appreciated.

Push
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 7:52:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Only when the rifle is cocked can the safety be engaged.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 7:53:01 PM EDT
[#2]
The safety can not be placed on SAFE unless the hammer is cocked.

ETA: If your unsure about the operation of your new rifle, go to the link below and down load an Operators Manual.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=7&t=349784
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 8:18:32 AM EDT
[#3]
It depends on what trigger you put in....factory mil spec parts no...I have a JARD two stage in my midrange rig...you can put the rig on safe with hammer down but the bolt will not cycle all the way thus cocking the hammer. I have to put it on fire then run as normal.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 10:54:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the responses guys, this is my first AR and I am putting it together myself and just wanted to make sure, answers are appreciated.

Push
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 11:58:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Do yourself a favor....take the upper off, manually cock the trigger and watch how the parts move / work. Switch the safety to "safe".....again watch the cam rotate and see what happens. Get to understand how the parts work, and what they actually do when you move them.

A solid comprehensive understanding of how the machine works will make you more efficient with it.

Also....dont dryfire the lower without the upper and BCG all connected.

What you observed is perfectly normal...welcome to the black rifle!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top