BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2008 7:01:16 PM EDT
so i got my new rifle yesterday...
problem is that it wont take the magul p-mags
the reason is the front edge of the magwell wasnt beveled.
so i could do one of the following things.
1- i could bevel the mag well,problem with that is it would not have the anodizing anymore so possible corrosion.i think no to this
2- i could bevel the p-mags,problem is i want to be able to pick up any mag and shoot.
THIS IS WHAT I HAVE DECIDED TO DO
i will buy a new lower,making sure it fits the p-maG,i will then send it out for a jp installed trigger job,this way i can still shoot while waiting for lower to come back with the awesome trigger.
any suggestions for a good lower???

then i will build a 9mm conversion rifle,with the smith lower,hey the mag well wont matter then.
i think i will use an olympic upper.or since i live in a free state imay build it with the lauer 9mm suppressed upper. funny thing is i didnt much care for ar's till now.
SO GUYS WHAT DO YA THINK BOUT THAT IDEA????
Link Posted: 4/12/2008 7:05:28 PM EDT
[#1]
WHISKEY
TANGO
FOXTROT?

Link Posted: 4/12/2008 7:05:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Too confusing to read....

Send your lower back to SW....
Link Posted: 4/12/2008 7:07:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Shoot me a PM, I have the Word document from MagPul explaining the quick fix for that problem.
Link Posted: 4/12/2008 7:18:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/12/2008 7:19:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Call SW and have them email you a call tag, then send it in for repair.
Link Posted: 4/12/2008 7:33:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I KNOW MY FIRST POST WAS STUPID SO I EDITED IT DOWN BUT WHY THE BS FLAG.i was just sharing my thoughts and excitement
Link Posted: 4/12/2008 7:37:29 PM EDT
[#7]
just kiddin bro! i actually bought one today for cheap and it accepts the p-mags fine !!! i would def. call or send it in to get fixed! sorry about your misfortune ,hope it all works out!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/13/2008 4:53:44 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Best route to go. All reports seem to indicate about a week turn-around.
Link Posted: 4/13/2008 5:01:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/13/2008 5:29:38 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

+1 - Anything else would be pretty dumb
Link Posted: 4/13/2008 5:03:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Is this your 1sr AR?

I swear I coulnt get a pmag to fit into mine. Then next thing I know, it slide right in. I think I was canting the mag just a bit, like I would with an AK. Put the mag up to the mag well and try straight in, no angle.
Link Posted: 4/13/2008 5:25:39 PM EDT
[#12]
lets see a picture of your mag well - the problem area.

dv
Link Posted: 4/13/2008 6:07:57 PM EDT
[#13]
I had a SW MP15T had the Pmag issue, then it failed to feed failed to eject.  Turns out the gas tube was barely on.  Took it back and traded it in for a Rock River.  Couldnt be happier it accepts Pmags and go figure it will fire when I pull the trigger!  SW never again.  Best bet trade it in like I did.
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 10:52:05 AM EDT
[#14]
I sent my lower back S&W....haven't got it back yet.
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 11:32:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Same problem here.  You want it fixed but not to have downtime while the lower is gone.  Here is what I did.  Got a Stag lower receiver stripped for $100 and ordered a DPMS parts kit for $50 from midway.  Ordered a Magpul CTR buttstock kit for $155 from Global Tactical.  Once the buttstock is here I'll send my lower back to SW on thier dime with a shipping label.  No down time and I'll have another complete lower to build on when it's all said and done.
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 1:49:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Just get and use GI mags. There are many different brands and types out there. Why sweat over the poly P-mags? D&H, C-Prod, and many others are mil-spec and work fine.
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 1:51:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 9:36:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Thats pretty much what I'm planning to do. A complete lower, then send the Smith one back. Only problem is, then I'll have something else to suck up my money.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 6:37:11 PM EDT
[#19]
well i called smith today and they said it WAS NOT  a warranty issue as all lowers are only beveled on 3 sides and also they are mil spec and made for alum mags.so i will do what i originally intended,next time i buy i will pay more attention to the details,however this is my first ar and my last fully built,it just makes so much more sense to build your own.
SPIKES TACTICAL HERE I COME.the guy was really nice and even looked up my serial number to make sure i had not bought a demo.all in all it is what i expected and my pmag took 3 min to modify.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top