Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2008 9:57:58 AM EDT
I am currently in the market to buy myself a new rifle. I am trying to decide between a .223 and a .308 with an AR. I am trying to find pros and cons about the different cal. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

D
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 10:28:26 AM EDT
[#1]
I much prefer .308/7.62x51 for performance reasons to .223/5.46 (including range, knock-down power...).  However, give the high price of military ammo right now, "little" bullets (i.e. .223/5.56) would be the cheaper way to go unless you have a great deal of money to spend or reload extensively.  

ARs are typically cheaper than their .308 couterparts (FNs, M1-As/M-14s..), unless you're considering an AR-10 or similar variant.  

If you're primarily concerned about shooting longer distances then perhaps you migh consider getting a 20" or 24" model AR and a nice set of optics to give you the best down range performance.

PS

I purchased my first Armalite AR-15/M-15 a while back and it is an amazing rifle.  Don't be so quickly swayed by all of the Bushmaster zealots around here.

Link Posted: 1/21/2008 10:37:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Welcome!

Do you presently own a AR in 5.56? If you don't I would recommend that is the best place to get started with a 5.56. If you don't like the price of 5.56 ammo you really won't like the price of 7.62 ammo. After all this is the AR-15 forums.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 11:10:13 AM EDT
[#3]
As of now i own  a bolt action rem. 700  30-06 and the kick is a killer when shooting more then 45-50 rounds. I rented a bushmaster ar-15 that was somehow manufactured so it was around 20-21lbs  so i dont think it was a great comparison. I have about $1,900 that will be going to this gun either the cost of it by itself or with extra mags and such. for that price range other then bushmaster and colt anything in the AR range that you could suggest? Even if it was outside of the AR family.  I plan on using it for 200-500yds in general but if i had to go higher i would like it to still perform accuratly. Any suggestions?

D
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 11:16:58 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
As of now i own  a bolt action rem. 700  30-06 and the kick is a killer when shooting more then 45-50 rounds. I rented a bushmaster ar-15 that was somehow manufactured so it was around 20-21lbs  so i dont think it was a great comparison. I have about $1,900 that will be going to this gun either the cost of it by itself or with extra mags and such. for that price range other then bushmaster and colt anything in the AR range that you could suggest? Even if it was outside of the AR family.  I plan on using it for 200-500yds in general but if i had to go higher i would like it to still perform accuratly. Any suggestions?

D

With $1900 you can purchase about any manufacture of AR in existence. I would get a great AR-15 from a reputable manufacturer and use the rest for ammo and magazines. if you planning on getting one for long range you could spend more on the glass than you could on the rifle itself.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 11:19:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Given the economy right now there have been some awesome high end combat/safe queen on the Equipment Exchange, I think if you monitor that forum you will find what you decide upon.  Also if you go to the Hometown forums under your state, there is a link for weapons for sale in your state so you can do a Face to Face purchase.   The gun laws get pretty complex so check out the rest of the forums and enjoy the hunt.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 11:25:17 AM EDT
[#6]
alright thanks :) i will give that a try

D
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 12:22:43 PM EDT
[#7]
If you heart was really set on a .30 caliber, then you could pick-up an FN or M1-A variant and then spend the remaining cash on a little bit of ammo.  Otherwise, you can puchase a really nice AR, mags, and plenty of ammo.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top