Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/14/2008 9:32:46 PM EDT
I know foam cases are a no-no, but what about the soft gun cases? The ones with the mag pouches on the outside and the soft/felt-like cloth on the inside? Is this the same corrosion chamber as a foam gun-case, or are these ok to store the rifle in for a while (few months between shooting outings, ect.)?
Link Posted: 1/14/2008 9:53:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I use a VCI plastic bag inside the soft case.
works great.

www.polygunbag.com/gunbags.html
Link Posted: 1/14/2008 10:05:29 PM EDT
[#2]
WOrth it, will be buying some!
Link Posted: 1/14/2008 11:15:20 PM EDT
[#3]
height=8
corrosion chamber as a foam gun-case

hadnt heard that.

glad i put that desiccant in there.

maybe i should rethink my storage method?
Link Posted: 1/15/2008 2:22:36 AM EDT
[#4]
I really dont think it will rust as long as the rifle is in the house stored in a soft case.  Just think of all the guns in a gun shop that sit on the shelves and in storge with no issues.  I think it is just hype similar to global warming.
Link Posted: 1/15/2008 2:24:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Really like the Galati XT cases.  Great all around.  
Link Posted: 1/15/2008 3:29:48 AM EDT
[#6]
The soft gun cases and foam lined hard gun cases are far worse than open storage.  The open cells of the fabrics act as wicks and suck away the lube from the gun's metal.  That is what causes the corrosion.  You can use freezer paper as a shield on the foam cases and those poly bags will work in both soft and foam lined hard cases.
Link Posted: 1/15/2008 1:07:04 PM EDT
[#7]
try those ones too:

www.zcorrproducts.com/
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 11:23:43 AM EDT
[#8]
height=8
Quoted:
I know foam cases are a no-no, but what about the soft gun cases? The ones with the mag pouches on the outside and the soft/felt-like cloth on the inside? Is this the same corrosion chamber as a foam gun-case, or are these ok to store the rifle in for a while (few months between shooting outings, ect.)?

Long-term case storage is easier if it's a quality bag using closed cell foam (i.e. Blackhawk, Eagle, etc.), and you use a rechargeable dessicant cartridge (found at most outdoor stores like Gander Mountain).  For extra insurance, wipe the weapon down inside and out occasionally with a light coat of oil or CLP.  Although I've never used them, the plastic VCI storage bags are a great idea.

If need be, put the cartridge in a polyester (doesn't wick moisture like cotton) sock to keep it from scratching up the gun's finish.  Needless to say, especially in humid areas, make sure you keep the dessicant "charged" regularly.  

Before I got my safe, I used this method for years without any issues.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 11:38:05 AM EDT
[#9]
I wouldnt put any gun into any kind of closed case for long term storage, allthough the treated plastic bags look pretty good. A nice coat of breakfree inside and out will get the job done.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top