Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/5/2007 5:09:21 PM EDT
OK, the time has come for me to add a AR-15 to my collection and I have a few question.

-Does it look like piston is going to become standard? If it is I will put off buying an Ar-15.

-Does the type of hand guard change whether or not the barrel is floating? Example: If I buy a gun with a "non-floating barrel" will it always be that way? Or does the type of hand guard decide that?    

-Am I better off getting 6.8?

- down the road can I change from 5.56 to 6.8 just by swaping out the uppers? Or do I need a "6.8 receiver?"

-What do you guys think of bushmaster and their O.R.C?

-I am open to any brand But, Olympic ( I hear their stuff is junk)

-Any suggestion or comments on the O.R.C or other guns would be greatly appreciated.

-I would like to go as cheap as possible without buying junk.

My preferences are M4 type/M4 receiver , Flat top, removable flash suppressor, bayonet lug, 203/flare launcher lug (ya, probably never going to get one but hay, I like to keep my options open)

-The only thing I am definite on is I want a Flat top.

Your Comrade In Arms,
The angry infidel
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 5:29:56 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
OK, the time has come for me to add a AR-15 to my collection and I have a few question.

-Does it look like piston is going to become standard? If it is I will put off buying an Ar-15.I don't see it happening soon, if ever.

-Does the type of hand guard change whether or not the barrel is floating? Example: If I buy a gun with a "non-floating barrel" will it always be that way? Or does the type of hand guard decide that?    Standard handguards are not free floating.  Many quadrail types are.  They can be changed with tools.

-Am I better off getting 6.8?
better off in what way?  I'd stick with 5.56
- down the road can I change from 5.56 to 6.8 just by swaping out the uppers? Or do I need a "6.8 receiver?"
simple upper switch
-What do you guys think of bushmaster and their O.R.C?

-Any suggestion or comments on the O.R.C or other guns would be greatly appreciated.

-I would like to go as cheap as possible without buying junk.
buy off the ARFCOM Equipment Exchange

My preferences are M4 type/M4 receiver , Flat top, removable flash suppressor, bayonet lug, 203/flare launcher lug (ya, probably never going to get one but hay, I like to keep my options open)

Your Comrade In Arms,
The angry infidel
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 5:38:56 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

-Does it look like piston is going to become standard? If it is I will put off buying an Ar-15. No

-Does the type of hand guard change whether or not the barrel is floating? yes Example: If I buy a gun with a "non-floating barrel" will it always be that way? No, you can change the handgaurd / rail so the barrel floats Or does the type of hand guard decide that?  Yes
-Am I better off getting 6.8? Stick with 5.56

- down the road can I change from 5.56 to 6.8 just by swaping out the uppers? Or do I need a "6.8 receiver?"  You can use the same lower but I think you will need different mags

-What do you guys think of bushmaster and their O.R.C? Bushy is fine, you will have more satisfaction building your own though

-I would like to go as cheap as possible without buying junk. Then you need to build it yourself

Your Comrade In Arms,
The angry infidel
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 5:47:10 PM EDT
[#3]
What is the ARFCOM Equipment Exchang? And What does building your own intail?
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 5:57:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 5:58:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 6:07:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Personally...and your mileage might vary, I'd stick to 5.56.  It's a NATO cartridge, surplus is still available, and you can chamber both .223 Rem and 5.56 MM in it.

I'd get a traditional AR, the pistons are nice...but with proper lubrication and maintenance, a regular AR will run and run and run.

6.8 is a great cartridge, and it was pointed out to us that it is not a simple upper swap today in armorer's school.  In reality, one needs a complete upper with new BCG, different magazines (although I hear 5.56 mags can be used, just not 100% reliable)...so it's not that easy.  The lower is the same, just differences in other parts.  Ammo is sort of hard to get unless you wanna shop on line or you have a forward thinking shop in your area.

The course I attended was S&W, and I own an M&P-15, they are tackdriving guns with a lot of great manufacturing features.  They are predominately LMT innards, with Troy flipups on those models...so quality there.  That said, I also have a CMMG with a DPMS lower that I put together, and it's a shooter too.  I'd avoid Olympic for QC issues, Rock River for long wait times, Bushie for QC (in my opinion, too many guns too fast...but again, my opinion), and Colt because you are paying for the Pony...that might get me banned for being blasphemous.  Stag makes a good product, DPMS, Armalite, LMT, LWRC, S&W, CMMG...you name 'em...they all shoot.

We have an ORC on the shelf, it's not anything you can't do with any other gun, and it does limit you by not having a front gas block with a Picatinny rail, it's just the block.

Good Luck to ya!
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 6:33:14 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I'd avoid... Rock River for long wait times

no shit! and for HBAR on everything but some CAR's

CMMG... where you get what you want, and nothing you don't
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top