Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/5/2007 11:56:37 AM EDT
I have been using assorted parked bolt carriers for ever.  They work great but I HATE CLEANING THEM!

I really want to start using the Young Mfg Chrome Carriers in all my AR's

PROS:  EASY to clean, less friction!, less wear on upper.

CONS:?????????

I have "heard" that chrome bolt carriers can chip/flake and cause problems with the rifle.  I think this is BS but I want to know if there is any truth to it.  Has anyone had experience with this before?  Not opinions!

Also, What about TIN carriers from DPMS?   What is "ION Bond" from MSTN?  What about Chromed Bolts?????
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 12:07:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I have also been thinking of getting a chrome bca, mainly because they look cool as hell and the few benifits like cleaning and stuff.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 12:21:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I have one and it is nice. I use it with my m4/spr suppressor because it is easy to clean. I have not had any issues with it.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 12:27:23 PM EDT
[#3]
This has been discussed before. Functionally, they aren't magic. A good standard BCG works just fine. However, chrome has a lower coefficient of friction, and is easy to keep clean. Plus, they do look snazzy. Apart from the extra cost, they are win/win.

I have a Young chromed M16 carrier with a CMT bolt/key. Works great, cleans in a niffy...

Link Posted: 12/5/2007 12:32:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Ive built two retros with chromed bolts. they do clean easier. just make sure it was done by a reputable company because if it's not nitrogen relived the metal is embrittled and can fail more easily. this is because of nitrogen(I think it's nitrogen could be hydrogen) ending up in the plated metal during plating.

the only wear issue is one that the army found out about. essentially if you are working in a sandy environment and not taking propercare of your weapons maintnance the chrome being harder than the steel will force most of the abrassive effects of grit in the reciever to act on the aluminum rather than the steel carrier and aluminum receiver at the ratios they do when the bolt is unchromed.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 12:35:38 PM EDT
[#5]
If you can get past the gold color of Titanium Nitride, I think you would find it to be pretty much the best. Think about why they coat drill bits with it instead of chrome-plating them.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 12:44:44 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Ive built two retros with chromed bolts. they do clean easier. just make sure it was done by a reputable company because if it's not nitrogen relived the metal is embrittled and can fail more easily. this is because of nitrogen(I think it's nitrogen could be hydrogen) ending up in the plated metal during plating.

the only wear issue is one that the army found out about. essentially if you are working in a sandy environment and not taking propercare of your weapons maintnance the chrome being harder than the steel will force most of the abrassive effects of grit in the reciever to act on the aluminum rather than the steel carrier and aluminum receiver at the ratios they do when the bolt is unchromed.

That is a VERY good point and the type of info I was looking for.  I heard they were tested and rejected by the military.  I don't think it is enough to sway my decision but i like to have all of the facts.  I suppose sand in there will wear the receiver with a steel bolt also.

I like hearing other opinions before making a change, even if I have already thought it through

EDIT: I think i would only buy from Young Mfg. as far as quality issues.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 1:33:35 PM EDT
[#7]
I am personally going to be getting some bolt carriers ION Bond coated through MSTN.

From everything I have read...IONBonds coating sounds awesome.  Harder than chrome, slicker, and easier to clean...just not as pretty.  I believe there is a thread started by MSTN in the new AR products forum.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 1:36:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I am personally going to be getting some bolt carriers ION Bond coated through MSTN.

From everything I have read...IONBonds coating sounds awesome.  Harder than chrome, slicker, and easier to clean...just not as pretty.  I believe there is a thread started by MSTN in the new AR products forum.
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 12:44:45 AM EDT
[#9]
I just got one of mine done in Chrome from IonBond and I love it! It cleans up real nice and my rifle seems to have a smoother feel to it during recoil. I need to take some pics of it but I can't seem to get to a camera...
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top