Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/5/2007 7:53:38 AM EDT
Guys I am a newbie to ar15, but not to shooting.  I have been a member for a while now researching however i cant seem to find what I am looking for.
I have had the pleasure of shooting a few ARs full and simi auto and fell in love.
I am about to purchase an AR in the next month or 2.  I was considering 3 brands at 1st (bushmaster, RRA, Colt) what you get for the money rules bushmaster out.  
My brother is in Iraq and depends on the Colt M16 everyday, he loves it as does most all of the other guys I know down range.  I have plenty of reviews from guys in the field with colt.
However I do not know anyone with DEA or other agency who use the RRA.  I am curious as to how it performs in action and how do the guys who depend on RRA feel about it?
I can get a new RRA a few hundred less than the colt.  I am not in LE so i will be getting one for basic civilian use.  

thank you for any opinions and advice, I cant wait to get into the AR world.  
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 7:57:40 AM EDT
[#1]
I was told buy a good friend his Colt has never jamed if you clean it after every time you shoot it, and he shoots almost 100 rounds a week.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 8:00:47 AM EDT
[#2]
I have both. RRA makes a solid gun, for a couple hundred extra I'd get a Colt.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 8:01:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 8:06:36 AM EDT
[#4]
If you have a big enough budget get the COLT. You will never feel buyer's remorse.

The rifling twist is another concern. A 1/7 stoots just about anything you can stuff in the chamber. A 1/9 is topped out at 75 gr. on a warm day. If you are just plinking away 100 rds. per week, and not relying on it for protection, almost any quality AR will fit your bill.
However, if you want things like- resale value, collectability, highest quality materials, extensive factory testing, and grape Kool-Aide....get the COLT.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 8:07:29 AM EDT
[#5]
I have 2 RRAs and like both of them.  I may buy a Colt in the future but for my use now the RRA does just fine. Colts are not immune to defects nor is any other AR.  
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 8:08:54 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I was told buy a good friend his Colt has never jamed if you clean it after every time you shoot it, and he shoots almost 100 rounds a week.

It can go quite a bit more than 100....really.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 8:10:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 8:18:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Let's not go overboard.  Any quality AR is far more than a Sunday afternoon plinker.  The RRA survived the DEA's torture test which was no mean feat.  That being said, Colt is a little better quality for the reasons already mentioned.  
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 8:24:11 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm the type that would buy the RRA and use the extra money on ammo.

Colts are kick ass rifles, but so are others.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 8:30:56 AM EDT
[#10]

I tend to agree....
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 8:41:05 AM EDT
[#11]
There are lots of good brands. read this forum everyday and include some other brands in your consideration.  LMT and  Sabre Defense are two brands I have and I would not trade either for a brand new RRA.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 8:50:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Rock me ...........
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 8:55:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Like everyone above has pointed to, your decision will likely rest on how much you want to spend. Right now CMMG will sell you a "bargain bin" rifle on the EE for 625 with chrome lining. A new Colt 6920 will run almost exactly double that. You have a high probability of not having problems with a CMMG/RRA/Stag, but an even higher probability of of no problems with Colt. That said, if the Colt is going to leave you with no $ to buy ammo, I would think otherwise.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 9:09:05 AM EDT
[#14]
gentleman thank you for the responses.  I do love Kool-Aide!!!!
Price is a factor however for 2-300 more not that much.  I will do A LOT of weekend shooting, however i do my share and then some of coyote hunting which is where a new AR will serve most of its time.
I will need a removable flashsuppressor which i believe both the colt and rra come with, for a silencer most likely a gemtech, and i will fit with a nite scope.  I dont want to have to buy new barrels parts and pieces to fit with a silencer.  I also want one that will last, and not have to worry about ftj and other problems.
with the silencer and nite scope the extra $ would help ATF taxes and all that.  
Guys again thank you and i look forward to becoming part of the community.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 9:12:19 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It can go quite a bit more than 100....really.

I know it can and so does he, He just don't want to ware it down to quick.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 9:44:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Theyre both fine weapons. You wont be disapointed either way. If you wanna tinker with it in the future, I'd favor the RRA's as I just couldnt bring myself to modify a factory Colt and possibly loose some resale value.

RRA's + some toys or ammo

Colt for better resale or holding of it's value.

Either way, you win. And welcome to the disease
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 10:12:57 AM EDT
[#17]
You'll be spending thousands on this hobby, so a few years down the road, the extra $200 won't seem like much.

Get a Colt.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 10:15:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Who is "Colt?"
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 10:16:33 AM EDT
[#19]
+1

Quoted:
I'm the type that would buy the RRA and use the extra money on ammo.

Colts are kick ass rifles, but so are others.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 10:21:23 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Rock me ...........

Me too.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 10:30:49 AM EDT
[#21]
I prefer not going with the Mega, Gov't supplier type companies. I prefer things made where the companies' very near future depends on customer service for the end user.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 10:37:15 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I prefer not going with the Mega, Gov't supplier type companies. I prefer things made where the companies' very near future depends on customer service for the end user.

So you're a vulcan/hesse man?

Link Posted: 12/5/2007 10:45:06 AM EDT
[#23]
RBX,

I would take a hard look at the comparison chart in this link to M4CARBINE.NET

It will show you the differences. It's the best tool i have seen for knowing what you are really getting. This is not the same one seen on this site.

M4-AR15 manufacturer comparison chart.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 11:01:25 AM EDT
[#24]
When I was thinking about RR, I had to continually remind myself: $50 more for SS 1:8 twist, $50 for lighter profile...then again I don't really want SS, I want chrome...heck, might as well not get the RR.  Funny how things work, I ended up getting a used AR with an HBAR SS 1:8 barrel, and now I know why NOT to do that again.  Performs fine, but it's a heavy mo.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top