Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/3/2007 9:44:50 PM EDT
My buddy wants to build a semi-precision oriented rig, and the above title and I'm doing the leg work for him.  I was thinking that a SPR/SAM-R/SDM-R esque styled rifle would be his best bet, though it wouldn't be a clone build.  He's asking me for a price list and websites where he can place orders for stuff, I was thinking the following for him...

Double Star Lower $95 (transfer is $20)
Double Star LPK $63 local buy and I'd do a trigger job on it for him
A2 buttstock $55 or there abouts off EE
CMT BCG and flat top upper combo $230

The barrel is the only question.  18" mid length or 20" rifle.  Is there really any reason to pick one over the other?  I know the velocity difference is minimal, and the major difference is about 2" less.  Being on a budget I figure he could probably find a 20" rifle barrel on the EE for fairly cheap.  He's just looking for a "precision" rig.  I was planning on building mine with a 20" HBAR 1x8 SS WOA barrel, but for him I was thinking a 20" HBAR chrome lined (I know it will decrease accuracy a bit, but he's 90% talk 10% skill and he wont notice the difference).  He doesn't reload and is a cheap SOB so a 1x9 or 1x7 would work for him.  Chances are he'll shoot nothing but Rem UMC 223 and WOLF 223.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 10:34:04 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
My buddy wants to build a semi-precision oriented rig, and the above title and I'm doing the leg work for him.  I was thinking that a SPR/SAM-R/SDM-R esque styled rifle would be his best bet, though it wouldn't be a clone build.  He's asking me for a price list and websites where he can place orders for stuff, I was thinking the following for him...

Double Star Lower $95 (transfer is $20)
Double Star LPK $63 local buy and I'd do a trigger job on it for him
A2 buttstock $55 or there abouts off EE
CMT BCG and flat top upper combo $230

The barrel is the only question.  18" mid length or 20" rifle.  Is there really any reason to pick one over the other?  I know the velocity difference is minimal, and the major difference is about 2" less.  Being on a budget I figure he could probably find a 20" rifle barrel on the EE for fairly cheap.  He's just looking for a "precision" rig.  I was planning on building mine with a 20" HBAR 1x8 SS WOA barrel, but for him I was thinking a 20" HBAR chrome lined (I know it will decrease accuracy a bit, but he's 90% talk 10% skill and he wont notice the difference).  He doesn't reload and is a cheap SOB so a 1x9 or 1x7 would work for him.  Chances are he'll shoot nothing but Rem UMC 223 and WOLF 223.

since its more for 'show' i guess than full accuracy potential, go w/ the 20"--save some cash, time, and such

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top