Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/2/2007 1:45:58 PM EDT
I'm about to start an AR pistol build soon, which will, as finances provide, will eventually be SBR'd. What I really want is a 5.56mm 12.5" barreled upper, and I could swear I've seen them before but I can only seem to find that in 6.8SPC. I don't have a problem w/ the 6.8, but I just don't want one right now.

I've narrowed it down to two options at this point:

1. Settle for an 11.5" and be off by one.
 2. Buy an M4- or CAR15-type  and have it shortened, recrowned, and rethreaded.*

I know option 1 is more practical, but I'm thinking of it as a last resort.

The 12.5" is what I want, but i can't seem to find it, so my my dilemma is this: Does anyone make a 12.5" in 5.56 and if so, who? If not, who do the wise ones here recommend to have such a thing made.

I appreciate in advance any and all information, links, suggestions, etc.

*By this, I mean M4/CAR upper alone. not a complete gun as of this time.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 1:47:24 PM EDT
[#1]

Why did you chose 12.5 ?   Is it arbitrary or do you have a specific reason?

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:51:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Sort of both: I really like the look of a 12.5" bbl under a free-floated 12.0-length handguard.

Also, a 12.5" seems like a good compromise between a 7" pistol and a 16" carbine, from a portability vs. ballistics standpoint.

ETA:Help me!
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:30:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Bump for assistance. Come on. I know the highly informed and opinionated folks here have something to say!
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:06:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 10:45:42 AM EDT
[#5]
lol the similarities are disturbing... my paperwork is in the works for my 12.5 sbr noveske or dennys both have 12.5" barrels  I havent decided what I am goin with yet... will see around tax time lol mines goin on a POF gen 3 lower

dennys

Link Posted: 12/3/2007 11:09:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:42:31 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Ya know there is a thread on 12.5" barrels in of all places the Uppers/Lowers/Barrels forum.

You know, I honestly never noticed that thread! I've just always gone straight to the AR Discussions thread. Thanks!

Now, at the risk of incurring everyones wrath, I have to say that I really prefer a 1/9" twist and that I don't think I'm worthy of a  ~$400 barrel such as those mentioned above.

Having said that, if it's worth doing then maybe I ought to do the damn thing right!

So, are those Denny's Operator barrels available as a complete upper? I couldn't seem to find that on the GTS site, and my building skills (as well as tool box) aren't quite up to assembling an upper just yet.

Again, I appreciate all the help with the links and whatnot.

I'm on a tight schedule these days and don't have a lot of time to spend looking around online. Most of what time I do have is spent right here with all you fine folks, who are so kind and gracious as to take time to research for others out of the kindness or their hearts.

/bud-lite-johnny/....and I love you, man!/bud-lite-johnny/

PS- I'll also be purchasing a Team Membership here very soon finally. This sort of site is absolutely worth the cost.

And thanks in advance again for all the help.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 2:49:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Bump for any additional info / ideas. Thanks.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top