Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/2/2007 1:40:58 PM EDT
I'm toying with the idea of replacing the stock brake on my Postie M4 carbine. It has the type with the 3 slots on each side and is slightly larger in diameter than the military style. It's the pin on model and I'd like to replace it and the sight tower to their preban glory.

Has anyone done a side by side comparison sound and performance wise to the A3?

Suggestions or tips on removing the pinned on brake?

Yes, I'm considering sending it to a pro. TIA.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 2:12:07 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

just remove the pins that hold it in place

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 2:18:02 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I'm toying with the idea of replacing the stock brake on my Postie M4 carbine. It has the type with the 3 slots on each side and is slightly larger in diameter than the military style. It's the pin on model and I'd like to replace it and the sight tower to their preban glory.

Has anyone done a side by side comparison sound and performance wise to the A3?

Yes, I'm considering sending it to a pro. TIA.

i don't know what an A3 is, do you mean A2 birdcage? the brake is noticeably louder with more muzzle flash...

there are two spring pins holding the brake in place... drive them out and pull the brake off... there might be some carbon buildup sticking it to the barrel... just twist it a few times and it will pop off...

you will need to send the barrel out to be threaded. use ADCO firearms.

leave the FSB alone, your 16" barrel can't use a standard bayonet anyway. the colt FSB is taper pinned, F marked, and the proper carbine height. save your money.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 3:55:04 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

i don't know what an A3 is, do you mean A2 birdcage? the brake is noticeably louder with more muzzle flash...

there are two spring pins holding the brake in place... drive them out and pull the brake off...

Ya, my bad. Meant A2.

When you say louder and more flash which one do you mean? My original or the A2?

Do the pins drive out better from one side or the other like on an AK or does it matter?

Leaving the tower alone makes sense. Maybe I will just stop at the brake.

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 9:14:20 PM EDT
[#4]
The brake is louder. The pins on the brake come out from either side.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 4:26:25 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The brake is louder. The pins on the brake come out from either side.

Correct. Matter of fact, some people have had problems with those pins breaking and the MB coming off on it'own on those uppers.

Taking the brake off is an excellant idea. Sending the upper out to get the barrel threaded so you have your choice of muzzle devices to install is a very good idea. Trying to have the FSB replaced with one that has a bayonet lug is not very good idea at all. It will be hard to find a 'smith who can do it and do it right and even if you do, it's not going to be worth the $ they will charge you IMO.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 4:35:41 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
When you say louder and more flash which one do you mean? My original or the A2?
the colt miculek style comp

Do the pins drive out better from one side or the other like on an AK or does it matter?
negative. they are not tapered like the FSB pins. according to colt's part listing they are "spring pins", they aren't solid like a regular straight pin, and not hollow like a roll pin, they are tightly wound strips of thin metal. imagine a solid roll pin. if you use too small of a punch you will drive right through the pin. they suck.

good idea!

i have deneutered two colts... the first one i replaced the 16" barrel with a Colt 14.5" M4A1 barrel.... the second one i did exactly what you are doing... removed the MB and had it threaded for an A2 hider...
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 5:42:43 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
the colt miculek style comp

negative. they are not tapered like the FSB pins. according to colt's part listing they are "spring pins", they aren't solid like a regular straight pin, and not hollow like a roll pin, they are tightly wound strips of thin metal. imagine a solid roll pin. if you use too small of a punch you will drive right through the pin. they suck.

good idea!

i have deneutered two colts... the first one i replaced the 16" barrel with a Colt 14.5" M4A1 barrel.... the second one i did exactly what you are doing... removed the MB and had it threaded for an A2 hider...

Love 14.5

in 2001 I had my 16 cut down to 14.7 +FAKE Bird cage  Sold it
Replaced with a LMT 14.5+phantom
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top