Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/2/2007 9:43:56 AM EDT
After a tiring read of the BUSHY BASHING sessions I was convinced to stand by my Bushy (if it is good enough for Blackwater it is good enough for my SHTF gun) but it did convince me to look into getting a new auto BCM BCG and keeping my stock Bushmaster bcg as a backup.

My question is; I read in Boston's Gun Bible that if a gun has even one "full auto part" it needs class III certification by the Firearm Tocacao & Alchoholics department.

Wouldn't this apply if I got an auto bcg and put it in my Bushy?
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 9:54:42 AM EDT
[#1]
The answer is no.

Here is a 19 page thread on the discussion.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 9:57:13 AM EDT
[#2]
No, the FA BCG does not allow the weapon to become full auto by itself and because of this it is allowed to be used in non NFA/Class III weapons. There are some manufacturers including colt that ship their semi auto guns with FA BCGs. Buy it, shoot it, and be happy.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:00:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks Justice23 - what a long intense read.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:02:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:20:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Your good
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 12:28:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Bostons gun bible has a lot of mis information..its a decnet source but it is biased against the AR and firmly behind the M14..I own both and the AK...the books a bit outdated info wise and isnt 100% accurate.The only problem with FA parts being illegal is if your lower has any...upper its perfectly fine.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 12:45:51 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
but it did convince me to look into getting a new auto BCM BCG and keeping my stock Bushmaster bcg as a backup.

How is your current setup working for you now? If you have a properly staked key and it is not giving you any problems, buying a FA BC is a waste of money IMO. Many manufacturers, including Colt, produce the castrated BCGs. If you were putting together a build, why the hell not since they are essentially the same price, but if you already have a rifle that works, it makes no sense.

Unless someone can bring forth documentation proving that the extra weight does something, the only purpose for the bottom rear half is tripping the sear for correct timing. That said, it takes more manufacturing processes to make a politically correct BCG, so there is probably a financial incentive to produce normal ones. Although in todays gun control climate, there is even more financial incentive to stay out of the crosshairs of gun grabbers as to keep business open.

Not that I doubt myself, but if someone does produce documentation that FA BCs are more reliable and therefore "worth it", I apologize for this post and hope you still love me.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:23:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Good points P229SA,

If it ain't broke, don't fix it is a good philosophy. My Bushmaster has never let me down and the BCG is in new condition. I will wait a while and buy mags until they are banned then think about the BCG again.

Thanks

Falafull
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 10:13:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 10:17:41 AM EDT
[#10]
I added a BCM extractor upgrade kit to my BM BCG.Works for me.

When I build my next AR I will go with a BCM F/A BCG.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top