BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/28/2007 2:47:04 AM EDT
I'm looking for technical information to help me decide on whether or not to purchase new a Bushmaster M4 Texas Edition for $830.00 or a Colt LE6920 for $1225.  I recently sold a Bushmaster XM15E2S with the heavy barrel and I couldnt shoot it to save my life.  I was issued a Colt by the Department I work for and it shoots great.  I also had no complaints about the Colts I used in the military.  I want to trick out the new rifle.  Obviously if I get the Bushy I will have more spare cash to throw around.  Anyone have facts on either to sway my decision one way or the other...?  Thanks for any help guys!  Happy Holidays...

Kevin
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 5:15:09 AM EDT
[#1]
i love my colt.  is it because its what i have... yup!! i have herd great things about other AR's, but i also hear alot more about LE6920's.  i say spend the extra,  in the long run, you would hav only spent it on something else  (its always easier to spend someone elses money)
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 7:26:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 7:32:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 7:34:05 AM EDT
[#4]
They are both great rifles.  I have shot owned many flavors of both and never been disappointed.  The 6920 is arguably the best factory carbine available.

Having said that, I would rather buy the Bushmaster and spend the extra $400 in accessories/ammo.

Link Posted: 11/28/2007 7:35:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Is this the Texas DPS rifle?  I believe that it has some additional upgrades beyond the standard Bushmaster model.  I don't know exactly what those are so hopefully someone who has one can explain.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 7:47:38 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I'm looking for technical information to help me decide on whether or not to purchase new a Bushmaster M4 Texas Edition for $830.00 or a Colt LE6920 for $1225.  I recently sold a Bushmaster XM15E2S with the heavy barrel and I couldnt shoot it to save my life.  I was issued a Colt by the Department I work for and it shoots great.  I also had no complaints about the Colts I used in the military.  I want to trick out the new rifle.  Obviously if I get the Bushy I will have more spare cash to throw around.  Anyone have facts on either to sway my decision one way or the other...?  Thanks for any help guys!  Happy Holidays...

Kevin

COLT  Ride that Pony !
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 8:36:45 AM EDT
[#7]
As a Bushmaster owner with no trouble

I would pick the Colt
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 8:39:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Definitely COLT
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 9:13:06 AM EDT
[#9]
As a Colt owner with no trouble for 36 years,

I would vote for the
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 9:28:12 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
What Colt will offer you:
1) Extended M4 FeedRamps (per the TDP).
2) Mil-Spec diameter receiver extension (saves some cash if you want to upgrade the stock to a VLTOR or LMT SOPMOD).
3) Has the proper 'F' front sight base (so you KNOW you won't need to order that 0.040" taller front sight post that some flattop Bushmaster's require).
4) Lifetime warrenty

5) 1/7 barrel twist (guarantees ability to shoot 75/77gr bullets)
6) M16 bolt carrier
7) proper carbine extractor spring and insert
8) H Buffer
9) higher resale value in the future
10) double shielded handguards
11) HPT/MPI tested barrel and bolt

Link Posted: 11/28/2007 10:06:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 10:09:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 10:10:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Is this going to be your only AR?
What's its intended use?
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 10:16:14 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Excellent point on the Extractor spring and the barrel twist.

i must be doing good if forest gives me a gold star for the day!
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 10:54:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Questions for which logic fails to persuade:

1. Straight or gay;

2. Blonde or brunette;

3. 9mm or .45 ACP;

4. Ford or Chevy;

5. Coors or Budweiser.

6. And add to that. . . .

7. Colt or BM.

Colt is my choice and my only AR alternative is LMT.

Link Posted: 11/28/2007 1:01:53 PM EDT
[#16]
As an owner of both brands, I recommend the Colt. There are many unseen differences, and there are a few that jump out. If your a 200 round per weekend recreational shooter, you would not notice many of them, but here are a few:
1. Bushy's standard (not F-marked) FSB often requires replacing the sight post with a taller one. (on your dime)
2. The Bushy FSBs are often canted, screwing up your zero.
3. Bushy sometimes poorly stakes the gas key, leading to failures.
4. Bushy's 1/9 twist limits the bullet selection you would have to choose from.
5. Colt hardens the FCG parts better.
6. Colt forges the receiver extension, Bushy uses extruded.
7. Colts BCG is from an M-16. (not a big deal)
8. Colt will have a higher resale value.
9. Colt's testing standards are higher than Bushy's.
10. Colt has a higher " Man that's cool" factor.

Link Posted: 11/28/2007 2:52:35 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
As an owner of both brands, I recommend the Colt. There are many unseen differences, and there are a few that jump out. If your a 200 round per weekend recreational shooter, you would not notice many of them, but here are a few:
1. Bushy's standard (not F-marked) FSB often requires replacing the sight post with a taller one. (on your dime)
2. The Bushy FSBs are often canted, screwing up your zero.
3. Bushy sometimes poorly stakes the gas key, leading to failures.
4. Bushy's 1/9 twist limits the bullet selection you would have to choose from.
5. Colt hardens the FCG parts better.
6. Colt forges the receiver extension, Bushy uses extruded.
7. Colts BCG is from an M-16. (not a big deal)
8. Colt will have a higher resale value.
9. Colt's testing standards are higher than Bushy's.
10. Colt has a higher " Man that's cool" factor.

i192.photobucket.com/albums/z96/M4builder/ColtBushy.jpg

I have both too. Now that I have tasted the "Cool-Aid" I like the Colt better. The Bushmaster is 100% reliable and looks great, but the Colt's hold a higher resale value and have the few "extra" touches that make them better in my mind.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 3:07:06 PM EDT
[#18]
As a 3 gun Bushmaster owner I pick Colt. Everytime I tried to save a few hundred I ended up being pissed off at Bushmaster. I have two M4 patrolman carbines and 1 piston gun. All 3 had to go back to the factory not once but multiple times to get the FSB straightened out as my rear sight was cranked all the way out and it wont hit paper. Sent both gas guns back 3 times each before they corrected the problem. The piston had a sloppy fit where everything rattled and was loose for a gun that cost double what I paid for each M4 patrolman I was quite ticked. It also kept jamming even with HK416 mags. They kept switching uppers ( 3 times) till one fit rock solid and then they finally tossed in a accuwedge. Each time I sent the guns in it was over 1-2 months wait time to get it back. I dont know if its my luck or what but I sent Bushy guns back a total of 9 times in the course of 2 years. Everyone I ve known that bought the Colts or 6920s have had zero problems. Some had minor finish scratches but mechanically wise- the guns were problem free.

This is why I vote for Colt as well. You get what you pay for I guess.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 3:10:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Looks like even BUSHMASTER owners know whats what
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 3:12:11 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Looks like even BUSHMASTER owners no whats what
Not only that, they "know" what's what.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 3:47:10 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

just bustin your chops.  i no i cant spill worthe a DamE
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 3:56:02 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

my bad
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 3:56:06 PM EDT
[#23]
if you are going to spend the cash, get the colt
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 11:24:40 PM EDT
[#24]
It is in fact the same TX DPS Rifle, just without the DPS markings.  Not sure of any differences, if any, when compared to a regular M4 Bushy.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 11:27:32 PM EDT
[#25]
It will be my only AR.  I'm a Cop so I'll be taking the rifle to work but its mine and I intend on having fun with it.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 11:32:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Thanks for all the great information and opinions.  Keep it coming and I'll keep ya'll posted!
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 11:51:19 PM EDT
[#27]
COLT  COLT  COLT  COLT COLT  COLT COLT  COLT  COLT  COLT COLT
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 2:43:26 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
As a 3 gun Bushmaster owner I pick Colt. Everytime I tried to save a few hundred I ended up being pissed off at Bushmaster. I have two M4 patrolman carbines and 1 piston gun. All 3 had to go back to the factory not once but multiple times to get the FSB straightened out as my rear sight was cranked all the way out and it wont hit paper.
SNIPPED FOR BREVITY

It is hard to believe that Bushmaster - the highest volume  AR15 maker - would continue to allow one of their products to go out with the FSB buggered up.
(Get a new Jig! ... or fire that moron down in "FSB attachment"

This has got to be one of the easiest manufacturing problems to fix, or so you would think. Other than this and some user-fixable features, BM has a good offering.

But since you are Five-O.............you are more likely to need that rifle than most.

Do not take a chance. .............

Get the Colt.

Link Posted: 11/29/2007 3:13:50 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
As a 3 gun Bushmaster owner I pick Colt. Everytime I tried to save a few hundred I ended up being pissed off at Bushmaster. I have two M4 patrolman carbines and 1 piston gun. All 3 had to go back to the factory not once but multiple times to get the FSB straightened out as my rear sight was cranked all the way out and it wont hit paper.
SNIPPED FOR BREVITY

It is hard to believe that Bushmaster - the highest volume  AR15 maker - would continue to allow one of their products to go out with the FSB buggered up.
(Get a new Jig! ... or fire that moron down in "FSB attachment"

This has got to be one of the easiest manufacturing problems to fix, or so you would think. Other than this and some user-fixable features, BM has a good offering.

But since you are Five-O.............you are more likely to need that rifle than most.

Do not take a chance. .............

Get the Colt.

So True

If you want to use a BUIS on a FLAT TOP BUSHMASTER
You have to Order a Taller post for FSB
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 3:26:41 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
It will be my only AR.  I'm a Cop so I'll be taking the rifle to work but its mine and I intend on having fun with it.

If its For POLICE WORK then the COLT is a MUST HAVE

I like the 6920

I like the Colt carbine  Flat Top with pencel barrel THE BEST

lower was stamp Tatical carbine

I got to check one out at my range
it was own by a LEO and had a AIMPOINT Magnifier 3x and a Grip Pod

main reason to check it out

It was VERY ACCURATE with the BLACK HILLS Blue box 75gr wich I gave him to try out
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 6:50:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Let this one die. It was gone over on 8 pages with Bushy Bashin'
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 6:57:41 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Colt.

If you're only going to have one, might as well get a Colt.

If it was a secondary gun (You already own a Colt) and a gun that would only be used for the range then I'd say get the Bushy.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 6:58:55 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Let it die why? Because the answers are not reinforcing your own perception?
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 7:03:01 AM EDT
[#34]
My Bushy has yet to fail me.My next AR will be a Sabre or LMT.

Atleast Colt makes a better AR then they make 1911's.

Link Posted: 11/29/2007 7:04:22 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

We're not bashing. These issues are factual flaws that Bushys have. If the OP is staking his life on this choice of weapon, he needs to know the whole truth. You may only plink & play with your AR, he has much more at risk than an embarrasing moment at the range if his weapon fails.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 9:08:31 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

You may have a point.

I remember 3 years ago, that it was Colt bashing on ar15.com.  Funny to see the tables reversed. . . .

Link Posted: 11/29/2007 10:19:17 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Kevin

neither.  build what you want and do it right from the ground up.  You'll end up saving money, even if you spend more than the cost of the bushy.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 10:36:46 AM EDT
[#38]
I own both. Colt is the choice. If you can afford Colt, that is the way to go.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 11:01:29 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Let it die why? Because the answers are not reinforcing your own perception?

OUCH
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 11:50:55 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
As a 3 gun Bushmaster owner I pick Colt. Everytime I tried to save a few hundred I ended up being pissed off at Bushmaster. I have two M4 patrolman carbines and 1 piston gun. All 3 had to go back to the factory not once but multiple times to get the FSB straightened out as my rear sight was cranked all the way out and it wont hit paper. Sent both gas guns back 3 times each before they corrected the problem. The piston had a sloppy fit where everything rattled and was loose for a gun that cost double what I paid for each M4 patrolman I was quite ticked. It also kept jamming even with HK416 mags. They kept switching uppers ( 3 times) till one fit rock solid and then they finally tossed in a accuwedge. Each time I sent the guns in it was over 1-2 months wait time to get it back. I dont know if its my luck or what but I sent Bushy guns back a total of 9 times in the course of 2 years. Everyone I ve known that bought the Colts or 6920s have had zero problems. Some had minor finish scratches but mechanically wise- the guns were problem free.

This is why I vote for Colt as well. You get what you pay for I guess.

Agreed. I dont own a Colt nor would I, IMHO I can build an AR for a lot cheaper to suit me, but if I were to buy a new AR out of the box it would be a Colt. Bushmaster has been fighting the same QC problems since I have been into ARs, only it seems to be getting worse

Colt has worse customer care than Bushy, but you probably wont need it as compared to Bushy. YMMV.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 1:27:37 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You may have a point.

I remember 3 years ago, that it was Colt bashing on ar15.com.  Funny to see the tables reversed. . . .

true  

in 2001 everyone like old bushy

but when Colt let go of the 6920 to CIVI`S  because the ban fell
then it  all started!!

Link Posted: 11/29/2007 1:53:40 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Definitely COLT

What he said +1
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 2:05:04 PM EDT
[#43]
just wondering but why cant you jsut raise the stock front sight post on the busht instead of buying a .040" taller one? dies the stock one not go that high?
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 2:09:09 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
just wondering but why cant you jsut raise the stock front sight post on the busht instead of buying a .040" taller one? dies the stock one not go that high?

the standard post is barely hanging on by the time it is high enough, you can even see daylight under it.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 2:11:31 PM EDT
[#45]
thank you.

so stock  the rifle should be shooting high then?

i know mine did when i first got it
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 2:16:02 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
thank you.

so stock  the rifle should be shooting high then?

i know mine did when i first got it

Not all of them shoot high, but most of them do. I eventually swapped all my Bushy barrels for CMMGs, that fixed all my issues.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 4:07:32 PM EDT
[#47]
height=8
Quoted:
Looks like even BUSHMASTER owners know whats what

I own 9 Bushmasters and 4 Colts. I always put the .40 front sight in all Bushy carbines and a factory Colt M16 bolt group and they run just as well as anything. Colt is a little better in quality but you do pay for it. Bushmaster does sell a hell of allot more AR's than anyone else so you will hear more about Bushy problems. Colts not perfect, I've had problems with them also. I feel pretty safe with either one. I have no problem going for the Bushmaster if the SHTF.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 5:43:48 PM EDT
[#48]
I'd be drinkin' the koolaid too, but ten-fifteen years ago, I would not be
saying that,  The good Col. has brought his product around so that it
mimics the military grade offerings quite closely.  The Colt quality is a
little better now too, although it was never "bad" in the old days.  My most
accurate AR is a Bushie, but my favorite is my LE6520.  When you think
about it, Colt should be the best, as they have been making this weapon
system since 1959.....building untold millions of 'em for our military and
more than a few others....and are the most sophisticated manufacturer of
AR's that will sell product commercially.   I know that if I was placing a large
commercial , or military order for AR's, I'd be up in Hartford in a second....
with some my own inspectors for sure, but I'd still be there.  There's  an
attention to detail in Colt AR's that says a lot about the overall product.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 11:47:56 AM EDT
[#49]
COLT
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 11:57:50 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Kevin.

What Colt will offer you:
1) Extended M4 FeedRamps (per the TDP).
2) Mil-Spec diameter receiver extension (saves some cash if you want to upgrade the stock to a VLTOR or LMT SOPMOD).
3) Has the proper 'F' front sight base (so you KNOW you won't need to order that 0.040" taller front sight post that some flattop Bushmaster's require).
4) Lifetime warrenty

What Bushy Offers You
1) Lower Price
2) 'Standard' sized fire control pins (makes it easier to get replacement parts/upgraded triggers).
3) Great customer service.
4) Plastic trigger guard

With the Colt you'll also be sure the bolt carrier is staked properly, the bolt has been proof load fired and tests, and it's been parkerized under the front sight base (things most hobbyists don't care about).
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top