Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/12/2007 7:06:24 AM EDT
I'm going to order a few stripped lowers for myself but want to get one for my father as well. He's retired Military so I'm wanting to get Jon at Anvil arms to laser engrave something along the lines of my father's enlistment but don't want him to know about it. It's going to be a Christmas present.

I've never ordered or purchased a lower receiver so I'm not sure how to go about it. If it's going to be for my father, it should be registered TO him but I don't know how I'm going to do this if I'm the one buying it.

Any suggestions?

Dan
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 7:12:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Does he live in the same state as you?

If yes, when you order the lowers and do the 4473 at your FFL, it's a legal sale.  Then you simply sell or give the lower to your father, since private transfers to non-dealers are legal as long as you live in the same state.

If no, order the lower, do the 4473 in your name, wrap it up and let him open it at Christmas, but then have a local FFL in his state simply do a transfer from you to him, with him doing a new 4473.  My local FFL does transfers for $15.

My suggestion would be to include a lower parts kit as well if you can afford it.  Cool gift, I wish my dad was still alive so I could give him one.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 7:23:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Yep! he lives right down the road.

So I can just get it all done in my name then just give it to him as a gift with a "Bill of Sale" I guess?

Thanks for the quick response, I've been hesitating to order because I was unsure of the process or legalities.

I will probably have Anvil install the LPK on his and leave mine stripped since I plan on aftermarket triggers and stuff in my builds.

I spoke to Jon @ Anvil yesterday and he said his LPK's were very good quality.

Quoted:
Does he live in the same state as you?

If yes, when you order the lowers and do the 4473 at your FFL, it's a legal sale.  Then you simply sell or give the lower to your father, since private transfers to non-dealers are legal as long as you live in the same state.

If no, order the lower, do the 4473 in your name, wrap it up and let him open it at Christmas, but then have a local FFL in his state simply do a transfer from you to him, with him doing a new 4473.  My local FFL does transfers for $15.

My suggestion would be to include a lower parts kit as well if you can afford it.  Cool gift, I wish my dad was still alive so I could give him one.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 7:50:25 AM EDT
[#3]
You can do a bill of sale but it's not required.

It's prefectly fine to give a gift firearm to someone in your state if you know they could legally purchase one also.

The problem and question about is this for you has to do with the following type of example;  You go with a buddy who is a convicted felon, you two gun shop, you buy it and then walk out the door and he hands you the money for it and you give him the gun.  That's a big no no.

Edit;  When I said your state, I saw you were also from TX, some other states like NY or Michigan might have state laws against it but here in TX it's fine.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 8:09:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Cool, thanks guys.

Nope, he's not a felon. Never been arrested and just bought a handgun a few weeks ago so we're good to go.

Dan

Let the buying begin!!
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 8:12:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Now I just need to figure out if I want to use the Newer Air Force Logo or the original logo on the engraving.

Dan
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 8:25:12 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Now I just need to figure out if I want to use the Newer Air Force Logo or the original logo on the engraving.

Dan

I would go with all original at the time he was in.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 8:42:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Hmmm I'll have to be sly and get his opinion on which one he likes more. He enlisted in '69 and retired in '91

He was a DI at Lackland for a while but went to Bergstrom shortly after where he was in the Civil Engineering Squadron at Bergstrom. I thought the Prime Beef logo would be cool but I just called my mother and asked her and she said just stick with the AF logo.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dan

I would go with all original at the time he was in.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 10:20:09 AM EDT
[#8]
I've given a few lowers as gifts. They are some of the most inexpensive/expensive gifts that you can give. They only cost about $100 and yet can cost the person who you give it to hundreds of dollars to finish assembling the rifle. My buddy's wife is STILL pissed at me for giving him a lower for Christmas a couple years ago. He spent about $700 building it the way he wanted it.

Good Job !
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 10:29:08 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

[snip]

I will probably have Anvil install the LPK on his and leave mine stripped since I plan on aftermarket triggers and stuff in my builds.

I spoke to Jon @ Anvil yesterday and he said his LPK's were very good quality.

Good idea on getting it with the LPK installed.  It's one less thing he'd have to do.

Although, it could be a "bonding" thing for you guys to do a build together.  My dad would've just wanted me to do it, as he hated mechanical stuff.

I've heard Anvil's products are good stuff.

Quoted:

Dan

Can you post pics of the two logos you're considering?

Also, what type of AR are you looking to build him - a retro 20", a CAR-type, M4?  Retro 20" might be kinda cool, and they're quite affordable to build....
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 11:44:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, I pretty much plan on funding the build for him so after he gets the lower, we'll seeif we want to go retro like the M-16 he used to shoot or if he wants to fancy it up a bit with furniture, railed handguards etc etc.

I don't know if this will work but I believe this is the older AF logo:

and this would be the new style:

if they don't show up (I hotlinked them from google) I'll post them when I get home from work.

Link Posted: 10/12/2007 12:26:22 PM EDT
[#11]
The pictures display.

I really like the modern AF logo.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 12:31:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Though if you want to kid him a bit, here's the older "Hap Arnold" Army Air Corps insignia.

Link Posted: 10/12/2007 1:35:00 PM EDT
[#13]
You may want to give him his Command Insignia. (SAC,TAC ADC,etc)
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 1:44:38 PM EDT
[#14]
I really don't know what the hell he did in the Air Force though. He never talks about it much and I don't really remember. I know he was a DI at Lackland, he spent 2 years at a radar site in Alaska, he was in Civil Engineering at Bergstrom, I believe he has some SAC patches in storage etc etc

I'll have to dig around and go look at his old uniforms for any identifying stuff.

He's got tons of plaques and stuff but a lot of them say different things.

I'm no Military expert

Quoted:
You may want to give him his Command Insignia. (SAC,TAC ADC,etc)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top