Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2007 4:57:13 AM EDT
i want to eliminate some coyotes (about 15) that come out in my yard every  night..i have dropped a few that came around in the day...i see them eyeing my horse and my barrel horse isnt going to be food...who makes and where can i buy the least expensive true night vision scope that can be mounted on my ar? thanks barry
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 5:04:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 5:24:37 AM EDT
[#2]
I have used some low and medium quality commercial night vision stuff working with a Private Investigation firm, and my experiences were very similar to stated above.  We had a HEAVY DUTY IR spotlight, and even then, we could maybe see out to 100 yards, and that was with the medium quality stuff.  

Night vision is definitely HIGH on the "cool factor", but if your budget just won't allow for the higher quality stuff, then I suggest a different approach if possible.

Purchase a few of the solar powered lights, either the landscaping type or the motion sensing spotlight type.  You do NOT want bright, you just want a little light.

Set them up in the areas you've seen the coyotes and leave them.  The coyotes will possibly be scared off at first, but after a while they'll get used to them and ignore them completely.

Use a low power, large objective optic (great excuse for an ACOG) and a weapon mounted 6v or 9v light (depending on hunting regs) that is known for having a tight beam and a good throw.  I don't know if a red filter is a good idea or not to keep from scaring them if you need your bright light.

You should be able to see farther and more clearly with this type of rig than any Gen1+ or cheaper Gen2 stuff and be more successful at ridding yourself of the yotes.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 5:56:14 AM EDT
[#3]
hunting in my area is not a problem....where i live i can shoot off my deck into the woods... my next door neighbor has 150 acres and i can shoot on his land at any time. he has crops so harvesting deer can be done year round with a stamp..when one is shot the stamp is filled out describing the deer size wight aprox age etc. and a new stamp is sent out.... coyotes are all over my area and have killed many of small pets this summer....like i said i have blasted a few with my savage 112bt 308 and my les baer ar this past year....now the pups from last season are full grown and hungry...
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 6:55:06 AM EDT
[#4]
We had a bit of a problem last year like this, went with a good red dot and a two man fire team using a 3million candlepower spotlight. Two nights later, coyote problem in our valley taken care of. (47 taken on 450 acres or so) only moved position twice each night. This may or may not be a legal or acceptable practice where you live. But, where I am at, I know all the farmers for miles, and no one had a problem with it. Coyotes don't have much in the way of "rights" here, although they do have a trapping season, which is regulated. But you can blast them year round. I am not about just killing them for fun, but once they reached a critical mass, something had to be done.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 7:03:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top