Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/10/2007 8:45:48 PM EDT
Trying to figure out how it works but I just don't get.  So someone smarter than me please explain it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:53:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:13:28 PM EDT
[#2]
If that was something you wanted to do, you would use a crows foot.

Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:14:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Why would you use a torque wrench on a flash hider?
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:25:03 PM EDT
[#4]
The torque wrench is used for the barrel nut. You use crush or peel washers to index the flash hider.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:27:54 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The torque wrench is used for the barrel nut. You use crush or peel washers to index the flash hider.

FH’s do have torque values, but it’s not really necessary.

Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:14:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Wow, I have never seen that.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 1:31:43 AM EDT
[#7]
I do it by feel, but you can definitely use too much force on the FH/Brake. Twisting the barrel is bad juju for accuracy.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 4:46:10 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I do it by feel, but you can definitely use too much force on the FH/Brake. Twisting the barrel is bad juju for accuracy.

That's how I do it. If I'm using a crush washer and I feel like it's going to take too much torque to get the FH properly aligned, I remove it, put it in the vice and "squeeze" it down a little then re-install and try it again. Repeat as necessary
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 6:34:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Because the specs for my supressor mount say within a certain range and I figure they don't just invent those specs for fun.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 6:53:20 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Because the specs for my supressor mount say within a certain range and I figure they don't just invent those specs for fun.

In your case, yes, I’d say torque was mandatory!

ETA: So where are you stumped in regards to torque?
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:19:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:46:23 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Remember the GI torque value include using the USGI Barrel wrench (which also has slots for the flash supressor and the rifle receiver extension).

Yep, that’s outlined above in my excerpt from the -23/P.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 9:04:04 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've got the AR 15 armorer's tool but the slots are just a tad too small to fit on the edges of the supressor mount.  I'm stumped at trying to figure out exactly what attaches to the torque wrench to fit on the supressor mount to tighten it down properly.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 9:57:49 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've got the AR 15 armorer's tool but the slots are just a tad too small to fit on the edges of the supressor mount.  I'm stumped at trying to figure out exactly what attaches to the torque wrench to fit on the supressor mount to tighten it down properly.

Some armorer’s wrenches can be a tight fit when slipping over the FH. My DPMS wrench is a tight fit due to the paint on the tool. If your armorer’s wrench absolutely won’t fit, then try the appropriate sized crow’s foot adapter as pictured above. SEAR’s should have the individual crow’s feet for sale.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 9:59:59 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Some armorer’s wrenches can be a tight fit when slipping over the FH. My DPMS wrench is a tight fit due to the paint on the tool. If your armorer’s wrench absolutely won’t fit, then try the appropriate sized crow’s foot adapter as pictured above. SEAR’s should have the individual crow’s feet for sale.

Now that makes sense

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:20:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:23:41 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

FH’s do have torque values, but it’s not really necessary.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/Metroliner/FHTorque.jpg

15-20ft lbs!!!  That's not that much.
I wish whoever installed the Flash suppressor on my RRA 20" HBar knew this.  The tightened that thing down way to tight in order to crush the washer for a proper index.  It ended up distorting the threads enough to make removal very tough.  I had to use a wrench the entire time during removal, not to just break free.  Once I got it free, the flash suppressor was too hot to handle, due to the friction involved.

This is one reason I don't believe in crush washers.  I've never had one soft enough to crush without going over 50ft lbs of torque.  That's way too much torque for such fine threads.

When I absolutely had to use a crush washer, I would install it and see how far off the index was and then do the math.  Then remove the proper amount of material from the crush washer using a stone and some calipers.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 12:05:28 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
..I've got the AR 15 armorer's tool but the slots are just a tad too small to fit on the edges of the supressor mount.  

Do you have a civilian one (like the DPMS) or do you have USGI one (as pictured in the -23 except above)?

The civilian one
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 12:27:22 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Remember the GI torque value include using the USGI Barrel wrench (which also has slots for the flash supressor and the rifle receiver extension).

Yep, that’s outlined above in my excerpt from the -23/P.

Is that manual available here?
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 12:34:23 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Of course!    

www.ar15.com/content/index.html#manuals
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 12:37:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 12:57:40 PM EDT
[#22]
The DPMS and the GI wrenches are designed alike when it comes to torque.

Link Posted: 10/11/2007 12:59:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 1:02:37 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Close but not quite.

Please explain why not.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 1:29:58 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Close but not quite.

Please explain why not.

The barrel center on the GI is farther out from the torque slot than the DPMS is.

Also, the flash suppressor cutout is a bit farther out as well.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 1:33:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 2:03:22 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
The offset of the hole for the drive changes the torque values a bit.

Significanlty?  I don't think so - but enough that I'd try to keep the torque in the middle of range rather than near the min/max.

I knew you were headed in that direction. The torque values are minimal, enough that it would really make no difference to me.

The difference in the two wrenches is about 1/2”.  Below are the calculators to figure out torque with adapters applied. For my calculations I used a 12” in long torque wrench. I come up with about a 1 ft lb difference in torque applied between the two wrenches. Hardly worth worrying about.

If my calculations are wrong............. I stand corrected.

Online Torque Conversion
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 4:54:41 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Of course!    

www.ar15.com/content/index.html#manuals

Thanks Quib!
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 5:49:37 AM EDT
[#29]
No problem Tiger!  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top