Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/10/2007 8:18:57 PM EDT
Just want to know how many people are like me, buying extra parts for their AR fearing of an upcoming assault weapons ban?
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:25:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm building whole ARs and stockpiling mags and ammo. I have spare parts too.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:26:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I've bought spare parts almost as soon as I received my first AR-15.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:43:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I have an extra sling.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:46:08 PM EDT
[#4]
25 COLT'S
4 OTHER BRANDS
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:46:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I was doing that for years before the old ban ended. No sense stopping now, I suppose.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:52:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I have enough parts to replace everything in my 2.5 ARs, twice.  That includes things like BCGs and FCGs, not just some random springs and detents.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:03:35 PM EDT
[#7]
You see, you have it ALL wrong.... there ain't gonna be a WEAPONS ban....

Them damn Dummycrats or DemoRATS if you prefer, will institute a ban on ammo.

You can have all the guns you want, just no ammo to shoot in them!!!

THEY are the reason, ammo prices are so high already!!!!
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:05:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I've seen a lot of talk about this on the forums. i dunno about anyone else but i'm going to stock up on all the lowers i can. it seems to be the trend these days, even though i'm going to be opptimistic and say i don't think we'll see another ban for some time, but hey, then i'll have to build all of them anyway. so its Win Win!h>
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:57:16 PM EDT
[#9]
some will laugh at my weak stock pile but i plan on having 4 AR's before the 08 elections, i've got 2 already and one reciever in the safe that'll be getting parts next week
i need to figure something out for my ammo stockpile
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:12:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Mags and lowers.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:15:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Are they really trying to ban spare parts?  I don't think that is their big priority.  That will be down the road.

Lowers will not do much for you if you haven't built them into complete rifles.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:35:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Yeah but how would they know when you completed your rifle?
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 11:17:15 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm not worried about spare parts...it's lowers I want to get before the '08 election.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 11:20:11 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I'm building whole ARs and stockpiling mags and ammo. I have spare parts too.

+1  Can never have too many.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 11:46:35 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm not in a hurry to buy spare parts. It's still the #1 selling rifle type out there, parts will be readily available for many years to come....AW ban or not.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 11:51:55 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I'm not in a hurry to buy spare parts. It's still the #1 selling rifle type out there, parts will be readily available for many years to come....AW ban or not.

Sure, but the people with those parts will be ready to rape you in price.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 12:13:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Better to have complete spare rifles ,the cost is about the same .. imo
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 1:37:16 AM EDT
[#18]
if there's a sweeping AWB that covers magazines, ARs, etc in the near future I am going to really be annoyed.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 1:40:50 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Uh Sure!
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 1:42:24 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sure, but the people with those parts will be ready to rape you in price.

Meh, my AR's don't break anyway. I've got 7 that all get used and abused and I haven't broken anything yet....many many thousands of rounds.

If I break an extractor in 2009 when Hitlery has abolished all guns, how much do you think it will cost, given that there are gazillions on the market and in private hands? Twice as much? 4 times as much? Still quite affordable.

I'm not feeling the hysteria.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 1:43:20 AM EDT
[#21]
The way HR1022 was worded is they want to replace parts not just lowers.  Thye figure eventually the guns will wear out and ban themselves.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 2:32:33 AM EDT
[#22]
I'd like to have more parts on hand.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 4:15:14 AM EDT
[#23]
I'll be getting spare parts to turn into another AR.  Hey honey, I just built this one out all the spare parts I had laying around.  

Before the 2008 elections I will be stocking up on lowers and mags for all the guns I have.  I also plan to get at least one of the lowers set up a SBR.  I also want to add a can to that SBR.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 4:24:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Ive somehow ended up having a few more "extra" stripped lowers than normal. Stockpiling , no. but having a couple spares, maybe.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 4:29:08 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I've bought spare parts almost as soon as I received my first AR-15.

Also tools for servicing.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 4:42:31 AM EDT
[#26]
I have spare parts on hand because I like having spare parts. I'd rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it but I buy things when I find a really good price on them or when I'm ordering something I need now and just have some extras thrown in.

I'm stocked up on mags because A. I'm a mag whore and B. mag prices are great right now. Even if there never is another AWB, simply economics show they can only get more expensive from here. I do have some spare lowers but all of them have a purpose in mind.

If you want to stock up on stuff just to make sure you have what you need regardless of what happens politically, that's fine as prices are good right now so why not but I wouldn't be buying stuff with the hopes of selling it for a huge profit after the next AWB. I say that because if there is another AWB, I think it will be more like CA's then the '94 ban meaning you won't be able to legally sell any of your stock pile except for during the feeding frenzy that will happen in the time between when the law is passed and when it goes into effect.

Quoted:

Can you please explain how the Dems are causing the current high prices on ammo? Most sources quote the war as one of the reasons of the current shortages\prices so that being the case, the Reps are more to blame then the Dems as most of the Dems want us to pull out of Iraq and Afgan
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 4:49:46 AM EDT
[#27]
There is probably still more than a couple of years in which to buy whatever one might want before the next big anti- gun initiative can actually pass through congress.  I think it's true that gun control will not be on the front burner immediately even if the Dems win both the White House AND the Senate in '08.

I take it as axiomatic, however, that the Libs will never abandon gun control.  Saying that they learned from the backlash in '94, or the loss of the White House in 2000 is kind of like saying that an alcoholic has "learned" from his last hangover.  They'll be back with all their obnoxious social engineering ideas.  The wise will use any and all available grace periods to prepare.

Link Posted: 10/11/2007 5:37:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Like a couple of the other posters it's the ammo and maybe mags you should worry about.  What good is a rifle if you have no ammo for it.

If you already have more rifles than you can hold them stack the ammo wide and deep and a few extra mags never hurt.

The ammo is not protected and that's the first thing they will go after, if they ban ammo for the public safety and good, your rifle will not be worth much.  However if you have a six foot wide and six foot high stack of ammo, that my friend would be worth a lot.

I have a had at least two rifles in the past that they quit making ammo for, the ammo became very valuable, no one wanted the rifles at all.  One was a Rem 5mm rimfire, I like it a lot took many coyotes with it.  The ammo quickly went up to over $1 a round and the people with the rifles wanted the ammo, no one wanted my rifle.

So bottom line, if you don't have at least two rifles then get two, if you do then get 100,000 rounds minimum ammo for each one.  

Just look back, while rifles do go up in value it's nothing like the increase in ammo prices, that where to invest your gun money.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 6:09:59 AM EDT
[#29]
I'm only stocking up on receivers
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 6:22:59 AM EDT
[#30]
I have lowers, I also have a reloading setup.

Keep in mind that the Dem's will want to ban "evil" guns without pissing off the ENTIRE gun owning public. Many Fudd's could care less about EBR's (i.e. Zumbo), but if you said you were going to ban their shotgun shells, or their 30'06 cartridges you would see them lining up at the poll's with buckets of tar and feathers.

As long as I can get ahold of powder, projectiles, and primers I have sources for brass.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:03:07 AM EDT
[#31]
Gonna stock up on everything !!! Parts, lowers, ammo, tools, accessories, mags
food and water.  Between Jorge and Georg ,  it could indeed get a little bumpy.
......If you want peace; prepare for war !!!  
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:16:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Bottom line
Buy what you can and as much of it
Shame on you if your just starting now
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:41:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Yes, a complete spring set, extra firing pins and extractors.  Magpul stock, mags.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:57:18 AM EDT
[#34]
It's not a matter if but when there will be another ban. With current consensus that the Dems will be in complete control of two branches of Government in 2008 it does not look good for EBRs or gun owners in general. We will probably see a rush of gun restrictions come down the tube in early 2009 to make up for the past several years. Even if a Republican wins the Presidential election I doubt they would veto the bill since it would cost them votes on other issues. Stocking up might not help if they completely ban all EBRs with no grandfathering.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 11:18:53 AM EDT
[#35]
"...completely ban all EBRs with no grandfathering."

Would that mean you couldn't sell what you have?  Or you can't have what you already have?
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 11:26:04 AM EDT
[#36]
Most likely such a ban will allow you to keep what you have now but you will not be able to transfer it to anyone else. Trying to make people turn their guns in would be a logistical nightmare but it could be done.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 11:29:05 AM EDT
[#37]
I just keep an HK91 and 93 around for spare parts. They are unbreakable.
JR
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 11:55:20 AM EDT
[#38]
I have been buying as many mags, lowers and parts as I can afford.
as gun owners we are currently experiencing the "calm before the storm" the panicked buying will start long before a ban is actually passed.
if it looks like Hillary might win the gun buying frenzy will begin even before the elections next year.
I have several gun owning friends who have no spare parts and just two or three mags per rifle or handgun and have the attitude "I don't need them right now and besides I can always buy them later if I want them" - these will be the people who panic and make it nearly impossible find anything in stock.

I am sure people remember last years elections when the Dems took control of the house and senate? In a single day most of the dealers here were sold out of mags and for a couple of months stripped lowers were almost impossible to find
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 12:05:57 PM EDT
[#39]
height=8
Quoted:

the price of ammo has alot more to do with the war waged by republican....
I love my AR, but at the sametime, stricter regulation should be in place for our own safety.

it really bothers me that both parties are on the extremes on this gun issues.  as of now, I think it's WAYYY too easy for people to get a gun, reason are:
1. takes no time to go into a gun dealer and purchase a stripped lower, and anyone can easily lie to those questions on those form. who is going to admit he's crazy or have stalked someone on that form?
2. barrell should be the part that requires background check, not lower receiver.

now if Dem do take over in 08, i hope they will just spend more effort on actual gun control, not just blindly ban our hobby as one of their Agenda.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 12:10:10 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I love my AR, but at the sametime, stricter regulation should be in place for our own safety.

WTF?  You worry about YOUR safety. Let ME worry about MY safety.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 12:11:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Call Del-Ton, this week, DPMS lowers for $95.00. Would make a great spare part.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 12:19:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Get the fuck out of here you troll!  With talk like that, you are not going to last long around here!

Quoted:

Quoted:

the price of ammo has alot more to do with the war waged by republican....

it really bothers me that both parties are on the extremes on this gun issues.  as of now, I think it's WAYYY too easy for people to get a gun, reason are:
1. takes no time to go into a gun dealer and purchase a stripped lower, and anyone can easily lie to those questions on those form. who is going to admit he's crazy or have stalked someone on that form?
2. barrell should be the part that requires background check, not lower receiver.

now if Dem do take over in 08, i hope they will just spend more effort on actual gun control, not just blindly ban our hobby as one of their Agenda.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 12:32:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Sometime in the near future, I will be buying more 30 round mags, a couple of extra barrels and i'm currently working on getting a FA M14. It's a very good idea to always be prepared....

And I'll also tell you that for the next couple of years, the anti-gun lobby will NOT succeed in re-enacting a AWB. Considering, they already tried to pass a law where if you have a history of mental issues you can't buy a gun, and it was SOUNDLY defeated. So an AWB in the NEAR future is pretty unlikely, BUT, like I said above, never hurts to be ready.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 12:36:46 PM EDT
[#44]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

WTF?havingyes, obviously we can protect ourself, we are gun owners after all.  
The shooter in the VT massacre would have a very hard time buying guns if a more comprehensive background check was in place.  He lied about him arrested for stalking and checking into mental institute, I am sure those two along would disqualify him to be a gun owner.
Some of you might argue he will get a gun from else where regardless, but I highly doubt it.  This is a kid that doesn't talk to anyone, let along knowing someone on the black market that will try to hook him up with the gun.  then again, all these cheap guns on the black market has to do with how easy it is to purchase a gun.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 12:48:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Get the fuck out of here you troll!  With talk like that, you are not going to last long around here!hooting,all you think about is your short term benefit of how easy it is for you to buy a gun, but the long term effect is we might loose this hobby forever.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 1:03:33 PM EDT
[#46]
The Government doesn't care about Gun Control, if they did they would ENFORCE the CURRENT LAWS.

Instead they just write new ones, make bans all the while trying to look like they are doing something possitive.

Only the law abiding among us respond to those changes and that's what we are talking about here.

When Bill C stood up and quoted how many guns had been stopped from purchase by the Brady bill, I was FURIOUS.   He should have said we have arrested and are pressing charges against those who violated the Brady bill.

What good are ANY of these laws if they don't enforce them?

Here's my message to the Government and this doesn't just apply to guns.

"DON'T WRITE ANY NEW LAWS UNTIL YOU ENFORCE THE OLD ONES AND THEY DON'T WORK".
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 1:05:46 PM EDT
[#47]
As far as a ban goes, I will not give up my Constitutional, God given rights to any tyranical government. There will always be a way to stay armed.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 1:11:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 1:23:23 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

not everyone is like us, you can't assume everyone as a good behaving citizen, after all, we are talking about GUNS.
yes, obviously we can protect ourself, we are gun owners after all.  
The shooter in the VT massacre would have a very hard time buying guns if a more comprehensive background check was in place.  He lied about him arrested for stalking and checking into mental institute, I am sure those two along would disqualify him to be a gun owner.
Some of you might argue he will get a gun from else where regardless, but I highly doubt it.  This is a kid that doesn't talk to anyone, let along knowing someone on the black market that will try to hook him up with the gun.  then again, all these cheap guns on the black market has to do with how easy it is to purchase a gun.

No, that wouldn't have been able to prevent him from getting a gun.  TIGHTER controls would not have prevented him from getting a gun.  NOTHING would have prevented him from doing what he did---- except, perhaps, LOOSER gun control laws, in that the average citizen was able to exercise his or her right to defend himself and carry a gun himself.

I don't think you're a troll, I just don't agree with you at all.  I think you've bought into the gun control Brady/Michael Moore propaganda thinking that it's too easy for anyone to get a gun, and there are too many guns out there.  The fact of the matter is that guns USED to be MUCH easier to get before 'gun control'-- from machine guns to handguns, and yet the killings are happening more now.  The root of the problem is not the gun(s)...it's the people BEHIND the guns.  You're going to have to take a deeper look at things than you are.

You're also going to have to realize that the control laws that are on the books are more than enough as it is.  We have more than enough laws, they just aren't enforced, or punished to the extent they need to be.  None of these criminals take the laws seriously, so they will continue to break them.

I don't think the government has the right to know every little thing I own or do- even regarding firearms.  I'm a law abiding and contributing legal citizen of this country, and I have every right to own what I want as long as I'm not harming anyone else.  Just because someone else harms someone, does that mean *my* constitutionally protected rights need to be taken away too?  Or should those who do violate the rights of others be the ones punished?

You need to decide what's more important to you.... your freedom and actual personal safety, or the 'feel good' mentality of gun control laws that will not stop bad guys in the end, and only pave the way for corrupt and oppressive government.

But be sure.... if gun control keeps going the way it has been, your AR *will* be taken from you, and you will NOT be able to own a handgun at all.... after all, there's no real NEED to own a handgun, right?

Think about it, and good luck.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 1:45:58 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

not everyone is like us, you can't assume everyone as a good behaving citizen, after all, we are talking about GUNS.
yes, obviously we can protect ourself, we are gun owners after all.  

DU is that way ---------->

Take your authoritarian, fascist attitude and your bullshit "logic" elsewhere.

Being arrested is not cause for denial of gun ownership.

I saw in your other post that you consider gun ownership a "hobby."
Well, I certainly don't, and, while I can't speak for them, I suspect that 99% of the membership here doesn't either.
My guns aren't about a hobby, they're about protecting my life, liberty and property.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top