User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/10/2007 1:22:27 PM EDT
I am looking at building my first AR.  

How important is a chrome lined barrel?
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 1:27:13 PM EDT
[#1]
there nice because they can take abuse, and theres no chamber damage when using wolf's steel ammo.   i think there just as accurate, and a little easier to clean.  do you really really need one.... not really, but most rifles include a chrome chamber and boar for only 35$ more.  i say... why not?!?
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 1:41:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 2:14:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Pros, correct me if I'm wrong.

The only advantages of a chomolly barrel over chrome lined is better accuracy and price.

However, your probably not a good enough shot to actually notice the difference in accuracy. (very few people are)

And the price difference should be less than $50 bucks.

The are several advantages of a chrome lined barrel: Easier to clean, less likely to corode, will last longer....etc

Link Posted: 10/10/2007 2:22:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 2:51:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I dont shoot corrosive ammo, I clean my guns after going to the range, but I prefer chrome lined bores in my AR's just do to the increased life of the barrel. For an extra $50 you get a barrel that will last the average range commando 2 lifetimes so why not?
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 2:52:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Chrome lined will last much longer, and do cost a bit more. Here, we only stock the chrome lined as there have been two cases where duty rifles were brought to us that were not being maintained properly (chromemoly) and chambers rusting. As a result, failure to eject and rims torn off the cases. Yes, with proper maintenance the chromemoly barrels are just fine, but if you want the added insurance....
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 2:55:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Chrome lined is Much easier and faster to clean.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top