Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/9/2007 4:09:02 PM EDT
I have been told (including by the owner of a known manufacturer) that there is not any legal problem with using a M16 bolt carrier in an AR15.  I originally though that it was considered a machinegun part but since then I have been told by numerous people that it was ok as long as NO m16 fire control parts were present.  I prefer to use them because of the correct weight, shrouded firing pin area and the fact that it is much easier and cheaper to use a quality Colt M16 carrier than it is to find an "enhanced" AR version of questionable origin.

PS: I am in NY (if that has anything to do with it)
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 5:56:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I would love to see the BATF letter if someone has it.
height=8
Quoted:
My LE6920 shipped with a "standard" carrier.

I loathe the emasculated bolt carriers.

Somebody dig out the BATFE letter again....
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:00:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:05:06 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
OK I've got a question....

What happens if you use an M16 BCG and your disconnector fails.  I think you will be FK'ed.

Actually, this is the kind of comment I was looking for. I have heard all sorts of "spooky" stories of the sneaky BATF using sensitive ammo primers to make even the most factory ARs slam fire, but I think that these are just urban legends.

Stop over at the Fal Files sometime and read what the ATF did to 'Moses.'  Now, the weapon was not an AR and the issue was not a bolt carrier, but he did have a full-auto selector in a non-sear-cut receiver (meaning it could not have been a machine gun) so, IIRC, what they did was use different types of ammo in their 'test' to see if it was a machine gun until they got the results they wanted - which was a slam fire type malfunction, but ATF yelled 'machine gun!'   Moses prevailed, but not after spending thousands of dollars on attorney's fees.  This is the case that led to congress passing a law making the ATF standardize and video-tape their tests.

It's just too bad that the malfunction didn't happen when the bolt was out-of-battery while it was being 'tested'

ps- I'm not trying to dissuade you from using an M16 carrier.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:10:16 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
can the carrier alone make the rifle run full-auto?

If not, there is your answer.

Mo one M16 part can, but to have some FCG parts for an M16 in an AR15 will cause you some headaches with the BATFE.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:14:15 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
OK I've got a question....

What happens if you use an M16 BCG and your disconnector fails.  I think you will be FK'ed.

What happens if your disconnector fails with a semi-auto carrier, yeah it can still double.
So where does that leave you...
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:23:56 PM EDT
[#6]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

If not, there is your answer. hought
just because some people on a website say its OK,and they do it, dont make it legal,Dont do it unless you are ready for bubba in a government hotel!
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:35:20 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
just because some people on a website say its OK,and they do it, dont make it legal,Dont do it unless you are ready for bubba in a government hotel!

And just because someone doesn't read the laws on a subject doesn't mean they should spread interent urban legends either
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:35:32 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

But I thought even if the rifle is semi auto, any parts like the auto sear, disconnector ect. that are full auto, no matter what, if any of them are present, it is considered illegal by the ATF due to this.  Now I know that the auto BC is okay because of how many people on this website have said so but I don't understand why it would matter in the first place if your rifle is semiauto only but contains one part that is made for full auto, when in fact it wouldn't work, correct?

Please, Colt has sold thousands and thousands of AR6721s, 6520s, and 6920s with the M16 type Bolt carrier to the populace. These is absolutely no issue with legality and the carrier in and of itself cannot "make" an AR "full auto" in any way shape or form. If you used that theory the BBL, recoil spring, buffer, and other parts that are interchangable would fall under the same rule.

Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:36:55 PM EDT
[#9]
OK let's cut to the chase and end the speculation and hysteria.

Here is BATFE's position on it. Make of it what you will.

Link Posted: 10/9/2007 11:02:32 PM EDT
[#10]
OK. I dont think any posts belong here anymore.  My question is answered.

This topic is thumbtacked under general/legal/  M16 bolt in AR15?  Lets direct future comments there (its only 5 years old and 18 pages)  Very informative and very amusing at times.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 5:27:03 AM EDT
[#11]
OK...Since that letter answers the question, lets start another issue.

Is 5.56 reallly a good round for our troops.  You know a 5.56 is just a .22 with more powder.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 5:55:27 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
OK...Since that letter answers the question, lets start another issue.

Is 5.56 reallly a good round for our troops.  You know a 5.56 is just a .22 with more powder.

Don't be a troll.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:50:55 AM EDT
[#13]
"We can only inform you that if this installation were to create a firearm that fires automatically, it would be a machinegun as defined; controversely, if it did not result in the production of a weapon that shoots automatically, it would be lawful to possess and make."

Thank you.

Edit

Pic thread?

Note:  The above weapon does not fire automatically.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:23:12 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

But I thought even if the rifle is semi auto, any parts like the auto sear, disconnector ect. that are full auto, no matter what, if any of them are present, it is considered illegal by the ATF due to this.  Now I know that the auto BC is okay because of how many people on this website have said so but I don't understand why it would matter in the first place if your rifle is semiauto only but contains one part that is made for full auto, when in fact it wouldn't work, correct?

Please, Colt has sold thousands and thousands of AR6721s, 6520s, and 6920s with the M16 type Bolt carrier to the populace. These is absolutely no issue with legality and the carrier in and of itself cannot "make" an AR "full auto" in any way shape or form. If you used that theory the BBL, recoil spring, buffer, and other parts that are interchangable would fall under the same rule.

Indeed, my 6520 did in fact have a M16 BC, so I assumed(we all know what assuming does) that if Colt sold it to me in that configuration they had the ok from the BATF otherwise the BATF would have shut them down for illegally producing/selling unregistered FA's to the public
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 12:25:48 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
OK. I dont think any posts belong here anymore.  My question is answered.

This topic is thumbtacked under general/legal/  M16 bolt in AR15?  Lets direct future comments there (its only 5 years old and 18 pages)  Very informative and very amusing at times.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 12:35:01 PM EDT
[#16]
IBTL  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top