Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2007 9:10:37 AM EDT
If a midlength gas tube is 11 3/4" in length, what version is a gas tube that is 12 1/4" in length

-KW
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 9:51:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Now...really...who asks this kind of question.....when.....you know that's a really hard one to figure out....cause I have the same question, and all I get is blank stares!
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 4:22:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Is it possible?  Could it be?  Did I stump the all-knowing minds of ARFCOM?

Bumped back to the top...someone here's got to know.

-KW
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 4:34:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Obviously it's the the threequarter-length gas system!
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 5:41:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Obviously.

Hadn't heard of them.  

Why would anyone make such a thing?

-KW
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 5:46:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Just a guess but would it be the rifle length tube?  I'm not sure either.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:00:47 AM EDT
[#6]
I'll play...

My guesses are:
1-some kind of ar10 variant
2-out of spec.
3-one is bent and one is straight...you're messing with us
4-just plain messing with us...J/K

Seriously though....
Are the gas ports the same size?
If you line up the two tubes at the gas ports, how do they compare? Is it longer on the gasblock side, receiver side or split between the two?
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:02:52 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Just a guess but would it be the rifle length tube?  I'm not sure either.

Naw, rifle length is 15 1/8" or so.

Must be some new-fangled 3/4-length super hadji-killing system.  Probably shouldn't even be talking about it.  Hush-hush ya know.

-KW
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:17:18 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I'll play...

My guesses are:
1-some kind of ar10 variant - actually, that's what I was thinking, but I've no AR10 experience.
2-out of spec. - definitely a possibility.
3-one is bent and one is straight...you're messing with us - nope.
4-just plain messing with us...J/K - no, I'd expect to get hammered for that.

Seriously though....
Are the gas ports the same size? - yes.
If you line up the two tubes at the gas ports, how do they compare? Is it longer on the gasblock side, receiver side or split between the two? - split

The bend is not in the same place as a midlenght tube.  If you line up the bends, then the ends do not line up.  The gas block ends are the same, and the receiver ends are the same...

An AR10 midlength seems the most likely at this point, however, I would have thought the lengths would have been the same.

-KW
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:22:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Could there be an AR manufacturer who uses a different spec for their midlength? Or maybe it isn't even AR related.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:49:16 AM EDT
[#10]
I posted on the AR10 board.  I'm hoping maybe one of those experts can shed some light on this.

Looking at Armalite's website, they refer to a 12" intermediate gas tube on their AR10 carbine and RRA has a midlength LAR-8.  So, maybe this is part of the .308 AR.

-KW
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:51:59 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Could there be an AR manufacturer who uses a different spec for their midlength? Or maybe it isn't even AR related.

There certainly could be a custom builder that does. I know one that makes his own gas tubes from aircraft hydraulic tubing. He actually builds rifles as opposed to assembling them. Build? yes build as in a barrel blank with no gas port, he puts the gas port where he wants it based on a number of variables, cuts the chambers, installs barrel extensions etc.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:57:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Oh really? Do you happen to know what he would charge for a custom AR barrel? I want a .25 cal and no one offers one
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 11:59:48 PM EDT
[#13]
I spoke to a guy who builds barrels and seemed to know his stuff.  He doesn't list .25cal on his site, but maybe worth asking. His website is ar15barrels.com. This maybe who is being refered to.

Link Posted: 12/1/2007 2:14:20 AM EDT
[#14]
The gas tube may be for the Armalite AR10 since their gas tubes are approx 1/4" longer than standard. However, it is probably for the Noveske Leonidas 12 1/2" 7.62 barrel. I don't know the spec but it uses a proprietary length tube.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 11:49:53 AM EDT
[#15]
So what length is a Carbine tube? -
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top