Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/9/2007 8:55:06 AM EDT
Is National Match a subjective term? I want to put together a rifle for high power and I see uppers and parts labeled NM. I just want to know if it means anything. Or does it mean its the top for that maker. Meaning it may or may not be as good as standard for another maker.?

Bryan
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 8:56:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 9:09:34 AM EDT
[#2]
National Match is typically a marketing gimmick. see also: Elite, Tactical, Professional.

for example, a tight upper to lower fit could be marketed as "national match" when it has absolutely ZERO effect on accuracy. then again a Geissele Hi-Speed National Match Trigger is probably the best AR trigger on the market.

a legitimate company will use the term "match" to mean "made at higher quality control standards than standard parts"... other companies will use the term to make a higher profit...

reminds me of that scene in Tommy Boy... the text in red would make for a good QUIB cartoon caption...

Tommy: Let's think about this for a sec, Ted, why would somebody put a guarantee on a box? Hmmm, very interesting.
Ted Nelson, Customer: Go on, I'm listening.
Tommy: Here's the way I see it, Ted. Guy puts a fancy guarantee on a box 'cause he wants you to fell all warm and toasty inside.
Ted Nelson, Customer: Yeah, makes a man feel good.
Tommy: 'Course it does. Why shouldn't it? Ya figure you put that little box under your pillow at night, the Guarantee Fairy might come by and leave a quarter, am I right, Ted?
[chuckles until he sees that Ted is not laughing too]
Ted Nelson, Customer: [impatiently] What's your point?
Tommy: The point is, how do you know the fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer? "Building model airplanes" says the little fairy; well, we're not buying it. He sneaks into your house once, that's all it takes. The next thing you know, there's money missing off the dresser, and your daughter's knocked up. I seen it a hundred times.
Ted Nelson, Customer: But why do they put a guarantee on the box?
Tommy: Because they know all they sold ya was a guaranteed NATIONAL MATCH piece of shit. That's all it is, isn't it? Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed NATIONAL MATCH, I will. I got spare time. But for now, for your customer's sake, for your daughter's sake, ya might wanna think about buying a quality product from me.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 9:15:27 AM EDT
[#3]
"National Match", when used in reference to AR parts, is pure advertising and nothing else. I would wager that there were no parts that were sold as "National Match" in the last 5 national service rifle champions rifles. Where are you in Georgia? I can fix you up with highpower gear and you can try before you buy.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top