Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2007 11:55:46 AM EDT
Ok,
Lets hear some tips and/or suggestions for a fellow left handed shooter?

I'll preface this with the fact that I've never really had any problems shooting a normal (right hand) AR.  I guess after so many years I just get used to handling the weapon and making it work.  But, it's reasonable to assume that as I've always had to adapt, I have no idea how much nicer it'd be with a platform actually made for a leftie.

I know Stag has gone out of their way to bring us a LH version of the AR.  I may pick one up someday for grins, but for now, I am content working with the standard AR setup.

I am interested in knowing more about ambi selectors, ambi mag releases, and tac latches.

What works, what's a waste of time and money... ?

Leland  
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 12:01:03 PM EDT
[#1]
An ambi selector is worth it's weight in gold.  I haven't tried an ambi mag catch as my method of removing mags with my non shooting hand works fine for me.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 12:12:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Along with the ambi selector, I installed an Ambidextrous Tactical Latch made by M & A PARTS.  I did not like the "tactical" part of the latch so I cut it off with a Dremel tool and touched it up with aluminum black. See pic.

Here is the link to the part at Brownells.
M&A ambi tactical latch
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 12:18:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I also installed a Norgon Ambi-catch but I usually use the standard mag release with my off hand.

Brownells - Norgon ambi-catch
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 12:32:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I think the ambi select switch is a good purchase. I can operate one fine on the standard side but do prefer using one on the other side.

I have the Norgon ambi mag release on some of my ARs. I am used to using the standard mag release but in working with this release, I have become fond of it. It is a good product but a bit expensive for what it is.

I do not use a ambi charging handle latch. I have tried them but really prefer the PRI latch. The PRI is easy to use  including when you have those optics installed right on top of them.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 12:37:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm a righty, but occasionally I practice left handed.  Without all the left gizmos, the AR is still pretty lefty friendly.  The only thing I notice to be difficult is the safety.

If you shoot left handed, your movements to reload easily allow for retention of the old mag.  (Especially with a dump pouch.)  Also if you don't have really short fingers, you can activate the Bolt hold open/release with your left hand index finger.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 1:11:46 PM EDT
[#6]
+1 to the ambi-selector switch.  Really useful.

I have the Norgon Ambi-catch on one of my rifles and will put it on all, eventually - I really like that for quick mag release.

I have one Stag left handed AR and one standard AR - I like the lefty, but am fine with standards so will likely build most of mine standard with the modifications above for my uses.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 1:31:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Which hand do you guys use to charge the weapon?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 1:33:41 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Left.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 1:38:56 PM EDT
[#9]
height=8
Quoted:

Had to get mine out to check...I use my right though.  I really feel like being left handed with the standard AR has it's advantages, many of them have come up in tactical situations.  But each person has a different style that is most comfortable to them.

-Cope
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 3:31:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Badger makes an excellent ambi charging handle. I have these along with the ambi selector and norgon ambi release on several of my carbines.  It's on the bottom of the page
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:40:17 PM EDT
[#11]
i've been a lefty all my life and i just pull the trigger
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:50:02 PM EDT
[#12]
STAG has done the recreational lefty AR shooter a great favor in manufacturing the lefty rifles.  

As a lefty LE IMHO I would recommend anyone using the AR for SD train w/ the standard righty AR platform.  Simply put the firearms industry targets the majority of shooters, who are right handed.  I own lots of STAG products (4 stripped lowesr waiting builds) and have nothing but praise for CMT for developing STAG.  That said STAG is pretty much on their own in offering these goodies.  Try to buy a new upper from any other company than STAG to fit your leftie lower!  

Sorry for the ramble!  Subject hits home!!!!
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:05:53 PM EDT
[#13]
My lefty manual of arms is to keep the left (shooting) hand always on the grip.
I can use a normal  charging handle and mag release with my right hand faster than ambi version of both.

Get an ambi safety and cut off part of the lever on the left side so it does not interfere with your left hand while shooting.

on safe
off safe

Be sure to leave enough of the lever so you can manipulate it with your right thumb when shooting right handed.

You can hit the mag release with your support (right) thumb while grasping the mag
with your right hand and ripping it out.

To drop the bolt release, I have to use both my left hand trigger finger and my left middle finger. I have arthritis, others may be able to drop it consistently  with just the trigger finger.

If you practice, you can get good at bringing your support hand (right) under the gun to smack the bolt release with your right palm.

Practice all the regular drills (reload, tack reload, jams, etc.) both right and left handed every time you dryfire and  you will have no need of any left handed rifles.

Gringop
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:09:02 PM EDT
[#14]
The only lefty accessory that I think is really needed is the ambi-safety.  Honestly, I don't understand why all weapons that have safeties aren't ambi.  I just don't use the rest of the leftie stuff and have never had a problem.

On second though, maybe a leftie sling loop, too.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:38:52 PM EDT
[#15]
1. Ambi safety selector - makes the rifle very friendly for lefties

2. Norgon Ambi-Catch - expensive but well worth it if you perform tactical magazine changes (I learned this in my first rifle course).  Also for general magazine changes its just handy that your left index finger does what a righty's would normally do on an AR

3. Ambi charging handle - not 100% necessary, I have the one pictured in the thread and wasn't real wild about it.  The PRI tactical latch works for me.

4. PRI Gas Buster Charging handle with tac latch - why?  Because being on the ejection side of the gun you get a lot more gas coming out (IMHO).  The gas buster seems to help this if you are shooting a lot.  

I have zero experience with the STAG lefty rifles but I'm sure they solve most of the problems that I faced.  Overall I had little problem shooting ARs without any lefty mods from the bench; when I took my first rifle course I found out that I was slower because I couldn't manipulate the safety/mag release efficiently.  Adding the above helped a lot.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:54:26 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
My lefty manual of arms is to keep the left (shooting) hand always on the grip.

To drop the bolt release, I have to use both my left hand trigger finger and my left middle finger. I have arthritis, others may be able to drop it consistently  with just the trigger finger.

If you practice, you can get good at bringing your support hand (right) under the gun to smack the bolt release with your right palm.

Gringop

GRINGOP states it perfectly...I always want my shooting hand (left) on the grip.

Both charging the bolt and releasing requires either left hand to pull CH or
going under the rifle and BLINDLY seekng the release button.

AN ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE MANUEVER FOR LEFTIES

My solution:
Get  a gunsmith to install a charging handle on the bolt carrier - the handle is screwed in at the front area of the carrier - the port on the receiver must be continued approx 1-1.5 inches rearward to allow for a complete charging cycle. Not only is this fully operated by the right hand but its so much more ergonomically correct given its position in the center of the rifle.And it can be done without looking at the operation! It's quite similair to charging a semi auto shotgun.

Accuracy Speaks installs this (installation of handle in carrier AND reciever cut) in your carrier and recr for $150.

Example

docgary
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 1:57:14 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
The only lefty accessory that I think is really needed is the ambi-safety.  Honestly, I don't understand why all weapons that have safeties aren't ambi.  I just don't use the rest of the leftie stuff and have never had a problem.

On second though, maybe a leftie sling loop, too.

+1

Re the leftie sling loop, the issue side mount front swivel is meant to be mounted on the right side in the first place.

That's so the grenade launcher can be mountedw/it's gizmo on the left sde.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 2:30:43 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm a left handed shooter, and I've found the AR to be a pretty workable weapon as such.

I for one don't like any of the ambi accessories and haven't found any of them useful, including the ambi selector. I prefer to keep everything stock so that my muscle memory doesn't cause me problems in the event I have to use an un-modified weapons.

My techniques go like this:

Charging:
While holding the weapon by the pistol grip with my left hand I rotate the weapon clockwise roughly 45 degrees to the side (carry handle pointing right instead of up) and push it slightly forward away from my shoulder, then charge the rifle with my right hand (right index finger releasing the charging handle latch).

Safety manipulation:
I keep my thumb on the left side of the receiver rather than wrapping it around the grip. This technique allows easy manipulation of the selector with no modifications. I actually find this more comfortable than wrapping up on the grip, and since being shown this technique I've found myself using it on most long guns.

Magazine changes:
This is one area I think lefties have an advantage on the AR - your firing hand never has to leave the grip and it's easy to keep the weapon on target. When you run dry bring the support (right) hand from the back from the forearm and press the magazine release. Then use the right hand to insert a loaded magazine. Once the magazine is seated press the bolt release with your trigger (left index) finger.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 3:16:18 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Both... then again I practice shooting both hands. I have a Norgon Ambi-Catch installed, and I'm right handed. Works good if I want to release and grab the mag with my left hand. Great piece but it's not cheap. Then again, any quality part in the AR world isn't.

Nathan
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 10:45:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Wow doc, that pretty interesting. Never seen a charging handle installed like that before. Interesting idea.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top