Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/8/2007 10:01:54 AM EDT
never happened before, but sunday we took several mags and 2 AR's to shoot.

this is an older pic but he shot this one

the Eotech makes it easy for him to hit.
but he shot, and the next round jams at the ramp.each try.I clear it and blast off a few quickly with no problems.I give it back and same thing.I told him to put the stock in tight to his shoulder and things were ok.
is that really the answer?
I did not think how it is held could cause a malf.
this particular carbine was made with all quality parts by me and we were shooting hornadys practice ammo.steel case I think it was 55grn.

what do you all think?
he has never had problems before and this is the first time this AR has had FTF so I was going WTF?

thanks
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:28:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Kinda hard to help with limited info.

1. Hornady practice ammo with steel casing? Can you post a picture of the ammo box? Maybe try a few different Milspec 5.56mm FMJ brands.
2. How many rounds have you shot through this weapon previously?
3. Did it have a good amount of lubrication on the bolt & carrier? What kind of lubrication?
4. Did the 11 Y-O shoot standing up, or sitting down on a bench with the weapon resting on a sandbag, or a bench rest?
5. If he was standing, what was his stance? Leaning back, shooting arm in the high chicken flap position, or an aggressive, leaning forward arms close to sides, Haji door kicking get some stance?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:39:57 AM EDT
[#2]
what are the specs? Mid length gas? have you used that ammo in that AR before? any info you can provide will help the experts here to figure it out.
a friend of mine had a similar problem the first time he used my AR, it turned out to be a problem with him holding or putting pressure on the mag and causing the FTF problem.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:44:32 AM EDT
[#3]
A loose firing grip WILL cause malfunctions.  Hold that baby tight, and she'll hum.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:55:09 AM EDT
[#4]
It may be that your rifle is "almost" under-gassed and a loose grip is retarding the speed of the bolt carrier.

If the rifle is relatively new, it may just need to break in. If you start having problems in cold weather, or with Wolf or some other under-powered ammo, then you may want to take a closer look at your gas system.

Is the gas key tight and staked properly?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:59:26 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Kinda hard to help with limited info.

1. Hornady practice ammo with steel casing? Can you post a picture of the ammo box? Maybe try a few different Milspec 5.56mm FMJ brands.

I can answer this one...  they look just like Wolf, only they are stamped Hornady.  I have four boxes of it that I haven't shot yet.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:09:27 AM EDT
[#6]
well, it has about 1000rds thru it so far.
the bolt carrier group is a BCM M16 that I had Ionbond in indy chrome nitride.
and it is wet with clp prior to use.
he was benched using sand bag, leaning into it slightly
the barrel is a noveske recon 16.1 midlength
the ammunition it has run has been 90% hornady 55grn to 75 grn
he put left hand on the rail not touching the mag at all
I have not had any problems at all with this AR
the gas block is sealed well I looked for carbon leaks as my bushie had done that before
the practice ammo I shot 300 rounds of it last weekend with no issues so it is ok.
I am sure it is his holding it caused this but I really wanted to know what you think.
the buffer is a H1 ( 1 tungsten weight in it)

thanks again

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:24:20 AM EDT
[#7]
gotta go to work, thanks any other ideas appreciated

thanks,
rick
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top