Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/15/2007 1:53:36 PM EDT
I have a RRA Varminter with a 20-inch barrel. Shooting 77gr SMK’s Moly (mag fed) using VV N140, prone using a bi-pod with a Leupold 6x18 scope. The best I get for 5 shot groups at 300 meters (330 yards) is 1 inch. This rifle shoots better than I expected. What I would like to find out from anyone else that has a RRA Varminter is do you get results like these? Did I just get lucky to get a shooter or is this what can be expected from RRA Varminters with the right load?
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 3:07:37 PM EDT
[#1]
That's what can be expected with the right load and the right shooter.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 9:18:10 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
That's what can be expected with the right load and the right shooter.  

+1

those Varmiter bbls tend to outshoot most shooters

what were the weather conditions? trigger setup? any pics?
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 10:42:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I had to get up early to get no wind with temperatures in the 70’s. Nice clear day. The trigger is RRA’s two-stage match, which comes standard on the Varmint A4’s. I don’t have a camera so no pictures. I was loading 69gr SMK’s Moly using VV N540 before this and was easily getting 2-inch groups at 300 meters. My friend shoots in high power competition and it seems a lot of these guys like a lot of bullet speed. My 69gr load was getting 2950fps but I thought this might be pushing it so I tried the 77’s at a more reasonable bullet speed about 2600fps and it sure shoots good as long as I do my part. I’m just playing around but I like to try to get the most accurate load I can and I don’t care if it is not the fastest achievable bullet speed. By the way my 77’s load came from Sierra’s accuracy load. I had to adjust it a little probably for the Moly. Sierra lists for the accuracy load Varget for the 69’s at 2750 fps and I still have some 69’s left and some Varget so I might have to give it a try too.

I recently took another friend ( Wild Bill ) who had never shot an AR before with me and let him shoot some 77’s from the bench with a bi-pod. His first 5 shot group at 300 meters had 4 shots touching. I think he saved his target.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top