Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/14/2007 7:41:52 PM EDT
Hi All,

New to the site been reading for about a week now.  I have been a hand gunner for a few years now and i am ready to take the plunge into ARs.  I need suggestions on what is good and all my reading has been fruitless mainly because i dont know all the acronyms i think.

I would like suggestions for a first AR and i am trying to stay around 1k if that is possible.  The more complete the package is the better as i am unsure if i would be able to assemble one without instruction (although i did see quite a few nice guides).

The rifle will be used for target shooting and probably switched back and forth between 5.56 and .22lr (i am not a rich man, but the Navy pays more than it used to for sure).  Can anyone help out an AR newbie?

I know i want a "flat top" with no fixed iron sights but the pop-up versions are very appealing. I will eventually top it with an eotech down the road.

Thanks!
Nick
PO2 USN
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 7:43:36 PM EDT
[#1]
stag is a good bet for that price. Well made and cheaper. Check out the Equipment exchange and deal with people with feedback. You can do a damn nice rifle for $1000 buying used and deals.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 7:48:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Stretch,

I saw that link but didnt realize that was what it was. I will check it out. Thanks.  I thought the only online places for equipment was gunbroker.com and auctionarms.com

Any other suggestions anyone?
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 8:42:25 PM EDT
[#3]
It sucks that your first rifle will be an AR...
Cause then you're spoiled. Every rifle you will own after that will be a bucket of bolts compared to that AR of yours.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 8:55:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I also suggest Stag Arms. You can buy a nice flat-top rifle with flip up sights for $950. If you don't want to build one but want to still save money, you can buy a complete upper and complete lower from Stag Arms and then just snap them together for under $800.

http://stagarms.com
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 8:55:46 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Stretch,

I saw that link but didnt realize that was what it was. I will check it out. Thanks.  I thought the only online places for equipment was gunbroker.com and auctionarms.com

Any other suggestions anyone?

Bushmasters can be found at decent prices.

AIM

Link Posted: 8/14/2007 9:05:21 PM EDT
[#6]
height=8
Quoted:
It sucks that your first rifle will be an AR...

Cause then you're spoiledhat

Oh that will not bother me one bit =) I like to own the best I can reasonably afford.  I am trying to get a rifle similar to the M4 SOPMOD that the Team guys use where I am stationed.  Granted I have never seen one up close, but what I have in my head seems "tactical" enough.  Obviously I cant get a Crane but I should be able to make mine look like theirs, right?
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 9:33:35 PM EDT
[#7]
welcome to the site

next, read around (esp the tacked threads) and use your search features

i'd stick to the ABCDRS, LMT brands for ARs

FWIW: .22lrs might have some problems in std twist AR bbls b/c the AR's tend to twist faster

+1 for Stag, esp thier complete M4 uppers for ~$500, just add it onto a complete lower (~$250 from the EE/ind board) and you are set

RRA is also a good AR brand for the price
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top