Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/13/2007 7:42:02 AM EDT
I just ran out of Brownells action lube and was thinking of my brand-loyalty to it.  
Which brand do you use for lube?  Is there a certain content of actual molybdenum disulfide that I should use?  

I know there are other products that use molybdenum disulfide, like white lithium greases... can those be used too?  If not, why not... If so, which products?

ETA: I would like to keep using moly on the bottom of my trigger, it sticks there... won't blow out, doesn't make a mess like oil, etc.  
I just wanted to know if there was anything out there that was maybe cheaper or that I might already have around the house, like white lithium wheel bearing grease... like that.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 8:56:53 AM EDT
[#1]

If not, why not... If so, which products?

Well I have tried many product lines...and I have tried to stick to one product line. But I have now narrowed it down to 5 products that work for me as I have found there is NO "do all product".
I recently went to a friends house to try out his new Electric Bore Cleaner on my HS Precision HTR 2000 after the..simple set-up he turned it on the unit and it IMMEDIATLY it went green (for clean) = no copper. Now he cleaned an old Mauser and filled the rod several times with copper.  He said to me what ever you are doing keep doing it ... Here are my secrets.
I have leapt into the 21st century and have found that I had to stay "old school" on certain things. It "seems like allot" but once you do this it cuts down you following cleaning times in half.

Cleaning: GunSlick Foaming Bore cleaner & Break free Powder Blast
www.gunslick.com/products/chemicals/cleaners.aspx
www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=626617

The Bore:
After a thorough cleaning with the GunSlick foaming bore cleaner I use the Break free powder blast down the Gas tube and then the bore and then finally I pass a patch with alcohol to remove all grease/residue from the cleaning agents I use (and before you shoot the weapon again)
I then apply Tetra Gun Lube to the bore:
Tetra
www.tetraproducts.com/endorsements.asp
This stuff does what is advertised it fills the micro Fissures in the barrel inhibiting copper build up. I pass a Tetra lube wet patch down the bore >>LET IT DRY and buff with a cotton bore buffer...not sure what its called but it is made out of fluffy white cotton.

Lubing your weapon
On my LAR15 and all other Rifles and Pistols: TRW25b
I am pretty sure this is the same stuff we were told to dunk our entire weapons in when I was in Iraq... It is awesome stuff!!! Works great in the heat...and in the cold. And is advertised to work in such extreme conditions. It is ..."Hydrophobic". so this reduces surface rusting. In my case it eliminated surface rust on my Blued Colt Delta Elite resulting from carried "Body Moisture"
TRW25b
www.mil-comm.com/weapons_lubricants.html
One TRICK whatever part you apply this to... Wipe down part with Alcohol to remove surface grease or it will not permeate the metal and wear off

For weapons that "require grease" ..like the roller on the bolt of the M1/M14 or AR Buffer & spring (lite grease)
Rig Gun Grease (The Old School)
AND Rig +P for SS (reduces gauling)
Compared to other grease it takes MUCH longer to break down especially in wet situations. Again Hydrophobic.
www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=496433

Man looking at this post it LOOKS like allot....but I have to tell you my weapon cleaning is no longer a chore.. Incidentally I HATE...HATE...HATE cleaning my weapons and have tried to talk several of buddies into cleaning my weapons... I can never get it to workout for me.

Just my .2c

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top