Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/12/2007 7:32:01 PM EDT
I have been wanting to buy a black rifle of my own for a while now, and recently have come up with some funds to look into actually purchasing one. I am currently looking towards the Stag Arms Stag-15 Model 2T, Rock River Arms CAR A4, and the Panther Mark 12 from DPMS of which I have researched the least and finally the Smith & Wesson M&P15T. I have done some searching around the site but would really appreciate some advice rather than just telling the newbie to go search the threads. Any info would be greatly appreciated, such as which rifle is the best as far as: reliability, accuracy, and the best bang for the buck.

Also, would it be better to buy the complete rifle or to buy the complete upper and lower separate and just put them together.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 8:22:12 PM EDT
[#1]
put some effort into it, "search" the threads--you will find MANY topics that review these same models and diff opinions and ideas on em

rough opinion:

Stags and RRAs are the best ARs for the buck; DPMS is also another one, but i'd take the CMT and RRA over em (they simply have better quality imo)

the SW 15t is a great deal for what you get in the package, h/w, its noticibly more than the other 3 models you listed...so i guess, do you want the basic features of an AR or a more tricked out one like the SW 15T?

accuracy wise, they will be comparable and roughly the same--they will get you at least 2MOA at 100; reliability wise, they are near comparable...but like i said, i would put CMT/Stag (and since SW gets thier stuff from the same company) and RRA over DPMS

DPMS and RRA are more commercial vs Stag/and SW being more "mil-spec"...if that means anything

as to building, again, try a search, b/c this question gets covered almost every other day...imo, its cheaper to build IF you plan on building more than one or want to have more customized features, use an AR kit or complete upper/lower snap together, or get parts used

other than that h/w, it can be better to get an AR complete out of the box; say for example for new folks to ARs (or those that dont want to research/learn on how to build or invest in tools/time in it, etc), for warranty purposes and product service, or simply its "available" out of the box, ready to go

good luck
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 9:15:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Plus 1 to the above info. I would recomend getting a out of the box Ar15 for the first rifle. Keep it simple. A nice 16in Car type rifle. Not sure how your money situation is. But Stag is a good co. There parent co. Is CMT and they make parts for Colt, RRA and S&W.  If you can go a little more check out the CMMG site. Geat customer service. But keep reading. And posting.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 3:38:09 AM EDT
[#3]
You could also look at the S&W M&P15A.  Less tricked out.  Same quality.  Lower price.  I own one!  
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 4:25:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Any of the rifles you listed will work well.

The only thing to watch out for on the DPMS is possible bolt issues. When run hard some DPMS rifles will crack the bolt. So if you plan on using it as a defensive weapon, then that is something to consider. Otherwise, just buy a spart bolt (that HAS been MP tested) and a bunch of ammo.

I don't have any "off the shelf" AR's, but my M4gery is a RRA with a Bushmaster barrel. (RRA didn't offer a gov profile 1:7 when I built).
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 9:01:52 AM EDT
[#5]
After searching the threads for a few hours and thanks to the advice, ive narrowed it down to the RRA CAR A4, and Stag 2T, any insight from those who own/ know about these two models and manufacturers such as comparing the trigger's, barrel's, etc.  I requested a catalog from both companies yesterday, and did not find enough info for my liking from their websites. And any info on warranty's would be nice, i have read about Stag offering a lifetime warranty?...
These seem to be very similar rifles, and the comments about  CMT making them, I just would like to know which way to lean towards, also any idea as an actual price range I would be looking at not just the MSRP. Thanks again.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 10:34:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Having just gotten into the AR-15 myself, I would suggest that, if possible, you order the complete upper and complete lower separately online, and have the lower shipped to a gun shop, shooting range, or FFL near you (whoever will let you use their FFL for the cheapest price).  I went this route, and was able to assemble an AR-15 for just $700 including 2, 30-round magazines from Del-Ton, Inc, whereas the Gander Mountain store near my house wants $950+ for a basic carbine.  That way you'll have more money to buy ammo, optics, more magazines, more gear, etc.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top