tango down VFG
LMT/tango down rail cover @ 3 and 9
KAC rail cover @ 6 and a ladder cover in front of VFG
Tango down PR-16A4 with homemade single point sling
Link Posted: 9/25/2007 2:58:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OStateFlyer] [#2]

Originally Posted By Jolly_Roger_Arms:
The ACOG can still be used very effectively at close range

I'm not doubting that at all.  I would still love to have an ACOG, but the price difference between an Aimpoint and ACOG was too much, personally, to justify any advantages for the type of shooting I do.  I would pick up an ACOG in a heartbeat if they weren't 3x what I paid for my Comp M2.

I've seen reference to the Army issuing the TA31F, as well as the USMC.  I've also seen reference to the TA31RCO-A4 being issued in the USMC.  So which model ACOG would be 'most correct' to put together an 'as issued' A4gery w/ ACOG?

To keep this on topic about M16A4gery pics, here it is before the Comp M2 and sling swivel rivet:
Link Posted: 9/25/2007 5:11:11 PM EDT
[#3]
can we keep this thread on topic please

Link Posted: 9/25/2007 5:30:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Close as i get.

Link Posted: 9/25/2007 6:02:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice looking rifles Guys... and that applies to every memeber who has posted!  I am almost done with my Commando then it will be to Project 2; my A4 like I carried on active duty.  You guys have definitely motivated me, keep up the good work!
Link Posted: 9/25/2007 8:17:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Is the Knight's SAR the GI forend? (If so, would this be the M5 Rifle SAR?)
Is the Army using it, or just the USMC?

Can anybody recommend any online vendors where I can purchase same at a reasonable price?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 9:57:03 AM EDT
[#7]
The Army and USMC both use the KAC M5 RAS, also referred to,at least by the Army, as the M5 ARS.  You can find them from a lot of vendors here, but the most cost effective would be  the EE.  There is usually a big, big difference in price....big difference.
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 12:47:23 PM EDT
[#8]
All BM but the LPK (CMT/Stag). 1/7 tax time upper.
Still waiting on a deal for a new KAC M5 RAS to finish it out.

Link Posted: 9/26/2007 1:37:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jolly_Roger_Arms] [#9]

Originally Posted By OStateFlyer:

I'm not doubting that at all.  I would still love to have an ACOG, but the price difference between an Aimpoint and ACOG was too much, personally, to justify any advantages for the type of shooting I do.  I would pick up an ACOG in a heartbeat if they weren't 3x what I paid for my Comp M2.

I've seen reference to the Army issuing the TA31F, as well as the USMC.  I've also seen reference to the TA31RCO-A4 being issued in the USMC.  So which model ACOG would be 'most correct' to put together an 'as issued' A4gery w/ ACOG?

To keep this on topic about M16A4gery pics, here it is before the Comp M2 and sling swivel rivet:
i173.photobucket.com/albums/w75/OStateFlyer/IMG_0043.jpg

If you were trying being exacting you would want to go with the RCO-A4. I used a regular 31F on mine.

keeping on topic

Link Posted: 9/26/2007 3:41:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: seahorse] [#10]
Converted A2->A4 two days ago, including KAC M5. Went to the range yesterday. Took photo today. Yes, she's a keeper. I like it much more in this configuration.

Bushmaster w/1-7 twist barrel & full-auto carrier
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 5:10:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 8:46:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Great lookin' rifle Jolly_Roger!  

While not mine anymore, I can't wait to replicate my last issued rifle although in the pic the ACOG, Surefire M95 and PEQ/2 aren't mounted.

Link Posted: 9/26/2007 11:49:34 PM EDT
[#13]
The evolution of my M16A4 clone:

Link Posted: 9/28/2007 6:35:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Here's the one I just finished:

Bushie lower
Colt upper
Colt 1/7 govt bbl
KAC M5 RAS
KAC VFG
ACOG TA31RCO-A4 w/ Firepoint in J-P mount

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:55:50 PM EDT
[#15]
<bump>
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:12:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Love this thread. An A4 clone is my next build.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 10:04:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Curiously, has anybody built a clone with a collapsible stock being the only exception on the blueprint?
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:43:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: platypusREX] [#18]
Oh well,

Link Posted: 10/12/2007 3:58:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ThePrisoner72] [#19]
Just received my Knights RAS & VFG from the EE. I have 3 11 rib panels coming also which were purchased from the EE.

Link Posted: 10/12/2007 5:32:25 PM EDT
[#20]

Superior Lower
CMMG Upper

I have a TA31F due in next week.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2007 6:24:12 PM EDT
[#21]

Originally Posted By KZ1:
Curiously, has anybody built a clone with a collapsible stock being the only exception on the blueprint?

Like so?

Link Posted: 10/19/2007 11:30:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FA_45ACP] [#22]
Very nice rifles guys; once I get my camera working I'll post mine.

It would be nice if this could be stickied though, to compete with the tacti-cool M4gery crowd

I'm also in the same position Aimpoint vs ACOG. Though like most of us we only get a chance to shoot at 100m ranges. Plus I already have an M1A, so maybe the ACOG should go on that
Link Posted: 10/19/2007 4:06:50 PM EDT
[#23]
TA31F would be correct also.  

The RCO-A/M4 ACOG's have only just begun being issued recently.  The large numbers of TA31F's that were in circulation with both the Army and Marine Corps were what prompted the "development" of the RCO reticule.  

Believe it or not, from what I can see, more Reserve and National Guard units are running around with both RCO's and Aimpoint M4's than active units in the Army, at least.  Most of the active component units had already gotten optics, and primarily have TA01NSN's and TA31F's, while National Guard units who had to newly purchase optics before mobilization have the newer RCO's and Comp M4's.  

Just my limited observations, of course.  The point, however, is that a TA31F is more than appropriate for an M16A4 build.

~Augee
Link Posted: 10/19/2007 6:23:53 PM EDT
[#24]

What is up with the not so flush fitting carry handle on this A4?
Link Posted: 10/20/2007 3:28:03 AM EDT
[#25]

Originally Posted By Augee:
TA31F would be correct also.  

The RCO-A/M4 ACOG's have only just begun being issued recently.  The large numbers of TA31F's that were in circulation with both the Army and Marine Corps were what prompted the "development" of the RCO reticule.  

Believe it or not, from what I can see, more Reserve and National Guard units are running around with both RCO's and Aimpoint M4's than active units in the Army, at least.  Most of the active component units had already gotten optics, and primarily have TA01NSN's and TA31F's, while National Guard units who had to newly purchase optics before mobilization have the newer RCO's and Comp M4's.  

Just my limited observations, of course.  The point, however, is that a TA31F is more than appropriate for an M16A4 build.

~Augee

So you're saying that the CompM4 is inappropriate for a full sized rifle? In a unit with all M16A4s, would everyone get an ACOG or just a designated sharpshooter?
Link Posted: 10/20/2007 5:00:17 AM EDT
[#26]
No, the Comp M4 is a red dot reflex site, and has no BDC.  It will function just fine with any weapon you can mount it to.

The ACOGs in question however, come in two varieties:

The TA31RCO-A4 for M16A4's, M855 out of a 20" barrel

and

The TA31RCO-M4 for M4's and M4A1's, M855 out of a 14.5" barrel

and

The TA31F for M4's and M4A1's, M855 out of a 14.5" barrel

That said, the differences should be relatively minor enough for an experienced shooter to compensate sightly.

HTH,
~Augee
Link Posted: 10/20/2007 6:33:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/20/2007 1:58:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/22/2007 5:53:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/25/2007 12:46:51 AM EDT
[#30]

Originally Posted By renesis:

it is just mounted 1 notch to far back than it should be.
Link Posted: 10/25/2007 1:24:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/25/2007 5:48:20 AM EDT
[#32]

Originally Posted By gunnut003:

I've seen many M16A-4's, and even M-4's with the carry handle mounted like that, and zeroed and used, while not the way it was designed, it doesn't cause too many problems mounted a notch back, while on the other hand, because of the thumbscrews, a weapon with the DCH properly mounted will not fit in a standard, USGI rifle rack, so whenever it's stored in the arms room, it needs to be moved back a notch.  Leaving it there simply eliminates the need to unscrew the handle and move it every time it goes in and out of a rack.

~Augee
Link Posted: 10/25/2007 10:35:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/29/2007 1:25:23 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 11/3/2007 11:11:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FA_45ACP] [#35]
Does anyone here regret their decision to go with a 20" instead of a carbine?

It may just be BRD, but I find myself having buyers remorse with my 20" rifle when I see how many AR owners own carbines
Link Posted: 11/3/2007 11:32:08 PM EDT
[#36]

Originally Posted By FA_45ACP:
Does anyone here regret their decision to go with a 20" instead of a carbine?.....

Get Both!

AR-15/M16's only came in 20" for a long time, unless your were Special Forces/LRRP. It is a great rifle that I believe every new shooter should start with. First get to know it well, then decide what you really want next. It'll save you a lot of grief & $$$$$.

Beware the man with only one rifle. Chances are he knows how to use it.
Link Posted: 11/4/2007 12:51:13 AM EDT
[#37]

Originally Posted By FA_45ACP:
Does anyone here regret their decision to go with a 20" instead of a carbine?

It may just be BRD, but I find myself having buyers remorse with my 20" rifle when I see how many AR owners own carbines

The infamous ARFCOM reply------GET BOTH

I've always had a freaky affection for the full-size AR's. I love my carbine but if I ever had to pick one, I would take my 20".
Link Posted: 11/4/2007 1:59:20 AM EDT
[#38]
This thread makes me feel better about going with a 20"
Link Posted: 11/4/2007 9:04:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ThePrisoner72] [#39]
I love my 20", even more than my M4'gery!

Comin' soon:

Magpul MIAD Grip
ARMS BUIS

Link Posted: 11/4/2007 10:03:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Well, I don't pretend to be a combat vet. But it just seems so wrong that after 40+ years the 20" M16 that we all grew up with is "on the way out" as some people like to put it.

Personally, I like the look and feel of the 20" at the range. But it seems like thats just extra bulk length when an AR10 has the same 20" barrel.
Link Posted: 11/4/2007 11:04:03 PM EDT
[#41]
20" is not "on the way out," the Marines still issue A-4's, plus, Army side, not only are there thousands of the things floating about, but the SDM-R is still a 20" base model.  

IMHO, once everything is calmed down and reevaluated, I think the 20" will find it's niche.  It may not be in every hand any longer, but it'll soldier on as long as there's AR variants in our hands.

~Augee
Link Posted: 11/4/2007 11:28:53 PM EDT
[#42]
My Bushmaster 20", most accurate rifle I've been able to fire with irons at 100 yards.
Link Posted: 11/5/2007 12:17:06 AM EDT
[#43]
The M16A4 is easily the sexiest bitch in the AR family I think...Bonafide Sexifide. I've been thinking about starting one of the those online petitions to get Colt to wise up and start making one available to civvies...man up and release a modern day R6550...an A4 Government Model Rifle...that thing would sell like the 6920 baby! Either that or get FN to do whatever they need to do in order to kick out some ARs...you know they'd release an A4 if they could.

Since I don't own one I figured I'd kick out some pics I jacked from the web. I know most are the real deal/not clones but they're just too damn good...

Link Posted: 11/5/2007 2:17:55 AM EDT
[#44]
Where are you all getting those "peace through superior firepower" stickers?
Link Posted: 11/5/2007 7:52:10 AM EDT
[#45]

Originally Posted By JeremyinTX:
Where are you all getting those "peace through superior firepower" stickers?

www.lifelibertyetc.com/

All kinds of cool stuff.
Link Posted: 11/5/2007 10:22:54 AM EDT
[#46]

20" is not "on the way out," the Marines still issue A-4's, plus, Army side, not only are there thousands of the things floating about, but the SDM-R is still a 20" base model.  

IMHO, once everything is calmed down and reevaluated, I think the 20" will find it's niche.  It may not be in every hand any longer, but it'll soldier on as long as there's AR variants in our hands.

~Augee

Yeah those SDM-Rs are real nice!

My point being that the 20" will no longer be standard. Also the fact that the 20" will remain in service really doesn't speak to anything but the fact that there are so many of them. It doesn't mean it's the best tool for the job. The M35 truck and the M14 have been around for longer than most of us have been alive. There are way better systems out there but we're still using them because we had them already in inventory and they work. It seems that the M4 rifle would have been the ideal platform to start with, but now it's too late and we have to make do with the "Kentucky Long Rifles" we got.
Link Posted: 11/5/2007 1:02:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OStateFlyer] [#47]

Originally Posted By gunnut003:

I've seen many M16A-4's, and even M-4's with the carry handle mounted like that, and zeroed and used, while not the way it was designed, it doesn't cause too many problems mounted a notch back, while on the other hand, because of the thumbscrews, a weapon with the DCH properly mounted will not fit in a standard, USGI rifle rack, so whenever it's stored in the arms room, it needs to be moved back a notch.  Leaving it there simply eliminates the need to unscrew the handle and move it every time it goes in and out of a rack.

~Augee

I was playing with the CH and left it there, but to atone for my sin:

Link Posted: 11/5/2007 1:11:06 PM EDT
[#48]
so you can take off the carry handle, put it back on, and it will hold zero?
Link Posted: 11/5/2007 1:17:41 PM EDT
[#49]

Originally Posted By KavonTN:
so you can take off the carry handle, put it back on, and it will hold zero?

Absolutely. As long as the rear sight isn't monkeyed with, and the handle is replaced in the same position, it'll hold zero just fine.
Link Posted: 11/5/2007 4:33:12 PM EDT
[#50]
those pm comics are pretty funny

And they work too
Page / 145
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top