Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
M16a4 (clone) picture thread (Page 138 of 145)
Page / 145
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 2:12:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Anyone know what happened to dts arms? His site is down.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 7:27:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: fadedsun] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By officerX:

Shark Arms has FN M16A2 buttstock kits for $115 shipped.
View Quote

Include buffer or no?

His website is hard to navigate
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 7:56:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By fadedsun:

Include buffer or no?

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 11:01:49 PM EDT
[#4]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By officerX:
Originally Posted By fadedsun:

Include buffer or no?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/335460/84AF4847-B084-475D-8F80-09B3E35F00C8_png-2142791.JPG
I bought one of these. Good stuff.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 2:56:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TennesseeRat] [#5]
Attachment Attached File
Mortarman with His M16A4 and White Zipties.

Marine using what he has on hand. Also interesting placement of TQ on collar(?).

Link Posted: 12/10/2021 10:38:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By TennesseeRat:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/79456/0A99EA27-8B47-406E-98F1-0EFCBA91277C_jpe-2166619.JPGMortarman with His M16A4 and White Zipties.

Marine using what he has on hand. Also interesting placement of TQ on collar(?).

View Quote

Yeah, that’s probably unit SOP. In Iraq, our SOP was a tourniquet in the left ankle pocket of the ACU trousers. In Afghanistan (in a different unit), the SOP was a tourniquet in your left upper arm pocket. It varies quite a bit.
Link Posted: 12/16/2021 8:44:43 PM EDT
[#7]
My Army Reserve clone.  

The upper and BCG are a factory FN that I got off Gunbroker, the lower is marked M16A4 from PSA, the stock is a factory FN from Shark Arms, the lower parts kit is generic, and the optic is an Aimpoint CompM4s.

Link Posted: 12/17/2021 1:43:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Just picked up a couple of new Colt LPKs from Arms Unlimited and they came with the proper notched selector. No Schmid marking though.

Link Posted: 12/17/2021 10:15:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Attachment Attached File

This thread is too good, I was out walking the property line and this pic kinda found itself. I love this rifle.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 9:24:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: officerX] [#10]
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 10:00:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/31/2021 7:33:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Anyone know where to get a good condition F stamped upper? I saw thoroughbred armament has surplus uppers, but seeing if anyone knows another place for them.

After seeing the post about the black creek precision limited supply of M16A4 lowers, I'll probably reach out to them after the new year to see if they have any plans to push them out again. I'm not a fan of the aero lower, and it'd be nice to see something in addition to the PSA lowers. The PSA lowers do look good, but damn if it's hard to snatch one up when in stock.
Link Posted: 12/31/2021 6:15:41 PM EDT
[#13]
DSA has stripped A4 uppers with no feed ramps for $35.

Link Posted: 12/31/2021 7:52:35 PM EDT
[#14]

I took the A2 and A4 out today.  I haven't fired the A2 in 6 months and the A4 in over a year.
I'm really tempted to sell the A4, but I know as soon as I do I'd want one again.

I carried one in Iraq, and while I dislike that configuration, it does have some sentimental value.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 7:06:10 AM EDT
[#15]
@Postal0311

What do you dislike about the A4?
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 8:45:04 AM EDT
[#16]
When the M16A4 was developed, it did what it was supposed to do.  But nowadays, it is completely obsolete.
Mind you, a Brown Bess musket can still serve as a fighting long arm, and the A4 can too.  But they are both obsolete.

No point in having a fixed stock on an AR, especially with a military weapon where you will be wearing armor, MOPP, etc.
Hell, even the new model AKs the Russians are using have adjustable stocks.

Now, I can have a match barreled carbine with a free floating barrel that is lighter and handier than the A4.
There are plenty of free float rails that are lighter than the old KAC M5 RAS.

So with the A4, I have a gun that is heavier than a precision AR, but not a precision gun.  And, for realistic combat distances, I can do that just fine with a SBR which is even smaller and handier.
A 10.X inch barreled can easily still make those 300m hits.  A 14.5-16 inch barrel can still dominate the 600m KD course of fire.

The military should have skipped the A4 and switched directly to the M4.  But the Marines wanted to be able to do close order drill, so we stayed with a rifle for longer than we needed to.

But just like the fuds who say, "muh wood-n-steel is more betta than your mouse gun", it is too easy to fall into the trap of letting the emotional connection we have developed for our inanimate rifle length ARs act as justification for their minimal benefits over the larger multitude reasons a carbine is better.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 9:23:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wally05] [#17]
Originally Posted By Postal0311:
When the M16A4 was developed, it did what it was supposed to do.  But nowadays, it is completely obsolete.
Mind you, a Brown Bess musket can still serve as a fighting long arm, and the A4 can too.  But they are both obsolete.

No point in having a fixed stock on an AR, especially with a military weapon where you will be wearing armor, MOPP, etc.

Now, I can have a match barreled carbine with a free floating barrel that is lighter and handier than the A4.

So with the A4, I have a gun that is heavier than a precision AR, but not a precision gun.  And, for realistic combat distances, I can do that just fine with a SBR which is even smaller and handier.
A 10.X inch barreled can easily still make those 300m hits.  A 14.5-16 inch barrel can still dominate the 600m KD course of fire.

The military should have skipped the A4 and switched directly to the M4.  But the Marines wanted to be able to do close order drill, so we stayed with a rifle for longer than we needed to.

But just like the fuds who say, "muh wood-n-steel is more betta than your mouse gun", it is too easy to fall into the trap of letting the emotional connection we have developed for our inanimate rifle length ARs act as justification for their minimal benefits over the larger multitude reasons a carbine is better.
View Quote

Not to debate, but a4s can be outfitted with adjustable stocks.  20" barrel makes a 55 grain pill a hell of a defensive round, even std m193, for a long distance.  Rifle gas system is the lightest recoiling and extremely reliable.  Non free float can still be plenty accurate for cheap... I mean there are a lot of counter arguments there.  A 10.5" may be hitting targets out to 300m, but it won't be doing much terminally and the muzzle blast indoors or under cover is pretty terrible.  I think most Americans do well with just a 20" gun if that's what they have.  I don't want one for my work because clearing rooms with a 20" sucks, but is doable.  I still have guys with A1s run those pretty damn well at training.

But this is a clone thread, so another thread for that topic would be better.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 9:30:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wally05] [#18]
dupe!
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 10:30:22 AM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

Good write up. If we are honest with ourselves these are all truths about the A4.

My A4 will never be my go to because I have options, but they are relatively inexpensive to build/clone and are fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 9:59:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By RotorWash109:

Good write up. If we are honest with ourselves these are all truths about the A4.

My A4 will never be my go to because I have options, but they are relatively inexpensive to build/clone and are fun to shoot.
View Quote

He's correct on numerous points, well written as well. I was issued an A2 and A4, I didnt really hate it because that's all we had. When I was issued anM4 that changed my perception of the musket. I agree there is better tools in the shed but for a troop that doesnt leave the wire they still have a place.

Even though I hated my A4, my meager collection wouldnt be complete without one. It's the pride of the fleet, for me anyway.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 12:25:33 PM EDT
[#21]
I have several AR rifles to choose from. But the A4 was my musket of choice for the rally in Richmond.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 10:05:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By wally05:

Not to debate, but a4s can be outfitted with adjustable stocks.  20" barrel makes a 55 grain pill a hell of a defensive round, even std m193, for a long distance.  Rifle gas system is the lightest recoiling and extremely reliable.  Non free float can still be plenty accurate for cheap... I mean there are a lot of counter arguments there.  A 10.5" may be hitting targets out to 300m, but it won't be doing much terminally and the muzzle blast indoors or under cover is pretty terrible.  I think most Americans do well with just a 20" gun if that's what they have.  I don't want one for my work because clearing rooms with a 20" sucks, but is doable.  I still have guys with A1s run those pretty damn well at training.

View All Quotes

Agree and all valid points.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 10:06:38 PM EDT
[#23]

View All Quotes

Agree and all valid points by wally05.
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 9:14:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Would an Army M16A4 clone wear a red dot instead of an ACOG?
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 12:05:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By retrohead2:
View Quote

Absolutely, especially if you were a Reservist.  I've had an A4 with a CCO.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 11:19:38 AM EDT
[#26]
View Quote

Because the fixed stock isn't a problem when using a red dot. Unlimited eye relief is great on fixed stock rifles. Every magnified optic needs an adjustable stock unless you are only going to shoot it off a bench.

You can gain eye relief on a LPVO by dialing the magnification down. Zero the rifle in prone at the highest magnification setting and use the variable power to get proper eye relief in different shooting positions. The ACOG need an adjustable stock.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 10:17:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Got a nice deal on a LNIB TA-31F for my Aero A4 build.  Red chevron reticle.

Link Posted: 1/10/2022 8:02:00 AM EDT
[#28]
View Quote

We had Aimpoints on our A4s (Army National Guard)
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 10:23:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By cone256:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cone256:

I had Aimpoints on A4s, with the Active Duty Air Force and then again with the Air National Guard (2002,2004,2006 and 2008). I am searching for a proper ACOG simply for the fact that I think they look like they belong together.

My first trip (2002) we had clapped out A2s, the guys that were doing the heavy lifting got some form of M4 with a carry handle and an optic on top. I wasnt a "gun guy" then but I wish I was.
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 12:08:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Price check on the Knights M5 rail? I can't seem to find them in stock any where...
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 2:38:38 AM EDT
[#31]
Some of you guys are acting like you can only choose one rifle for your collection AND will be actively carrying it in a tactical/deployed situation.. this is not the case for most here.  Even if you are issued a rifle, you are most likely going to own your own for off duty.  

AR's are not expensive.. I don't see a reason why any grown adult with a decent income couldn't afford a 20" and 16".. and even a 10.5"/11.5".  

For me I started with a 16" carbine back in the early 90's, went to a 20" A2 for CMP target shooting, then to M4 clones, then to SBR'ing a few guns.  I can't look at one and think that I need to get rid of it because it's not relevant today.. I love them all and pull a different one out for each range trip!
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 2:40:32 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By ThRob:
Price check on the Knights M5 rail? I can't seem to find them in stock any where...
View Quote

These have become somewhat hard to find and the prices have gone through the roof.  I was able to snag a brand new set from Brownells last year though, you can get on their notify list...
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 5:23:43 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By uniform64:
Just picked up a couple of new Colt LPKs from Arms Unlimited and they came with the proper notched selector. No Schmid marking though.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51752249383_64f74a678e_b.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51751183827_eb0ba180e6_b.jpg
View Quote

whats a 'Schmid' mark?
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 5:32:12 AM EDT
[#34]

View Quote

Is there a KAC M5 RAS that is free floating?  and are they usually slap on or have to be 'installed'  
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 5:52:26 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By CharlesBukowski:

Is there a KAC M5 RAS that is free floating?  and are they usually slap on or have to be 'installed'  
View Quote
Some are floating around. Have to be installed. Armalite and LaRue look similar.
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 9:39:50 AM EDT
[#36]
Was the compM4 the only red dot used, or were older aimpoints used prior?
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 12:21:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By HighpowerRifleBrony:
Some are floating around. Have to be installed. Armalite and LaRue look similar.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HighpowerRifleBrony:

Are you sure? I always thought all M5 RAS like the M4 RAS were slip on non free floating hand guard replacements. The RIS is the free floating rail, which is presently not being produced and the few for sale are unobtainable at realistic prices.
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 12:37:52 PM EDT
[#38]

whats a 'Schmid' mark?
View All Quotes

whats a 'Schmid' mark?

Schmid makes the hammer and FCG.

Link Posted: 1/16/2022 3:12:32 PM EDT
[#39]

whats a 'Schmid' mark?
View Quote

Manufacturers mark

Link Posted: 1/17/2022 7:35:57 AM EDT
[#40]

Manufacturers mark

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51825253300_c2aeee81bb_b.jpg
View All Quotes

whats a 'Schmid' mark?

Manufacturers mark

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51825253300_c2aeee81bb_b.jpg

ok thanks
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 7:36:24 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Another-Bill:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/472/Colt_Hammer-2242276.jpg
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Another-Bill:

whats a 'Schmid' mark?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/472/Colt_Hammer-2242276.jpg

OKthanks
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 10:07:39 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By mstennes:

Are you sure? I always thought all M5 RAS like the M4 RAS were slip on non free floating hand guard replacements. The RIS is the free floating rail, which is presently not being produced and the few for sale are unobtainable at realistic prices.
View Quote

I wouldn't call the KAC RIS free floating.  Locking screw is behind front handguard cap, rear goes into Delta ring like a standard handguard.  Bottom rail is same as RAS.  My Mk18 Mod 0 clone still has a RIS and I got issued the RIS on my M4A1 back in 95' or so.  DD RIS II is free floating.

CD
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 10:08:54 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Brandonbeezy:
Was the compM4 the only red dot used, or were older aimpoints used prior?
View Quote

I would say yes, as depends on what was on the units property books at the time.  

CD
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 10:24:13 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:

I wouldn't call the KAC RIS free floating.  Locking screw is behind front handguard cap, rear goes into Delta ring like a standard handguard.  Bottom rail is same as RAS.  My Mk18 Mod 0 clone still has a RIS and I got issued the RIS on my M4A1 back in 95' or so.  DD RIS II is free floating.

CD
View Quote

CD I may have used the wrong term for KAC rail I was thinking of. I’m thinking of the RAS or RIS rail that KAC made and is used on the MK12 MOD1, the NSW REECE and I “believe” on the M16 DMR?
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 12:58:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Completed a few days ago

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 12:20:07 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By HenryKnoxFineBooks:
Completed a few days ago

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/180398/Colt_A4_JPG-2243671.JPG
View Quote

Nice work, love the lower.!
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 12:49:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ColtM4A3] [#47]
Lately I've been taking my M16A4 clone to the range a lot!  My local range has gongs at 100, 200, 300, and 400, and I've been able to hit the 400 (and the others) after learning my ACOG.  I think so many have moved on to SBR's, Pistols and shorter setups that are all dressed up that many don't give the full size gun any consideration now.  I was certainly at that point... I have probably a dozen shorter AR's that I've acquired over the many years of being in the hobby but didn't have a 20".    

My history- I started with a Colt Carbine back in 1993, then got into 20" Match Target H-Bars and even shot a few CMP matches... I got into this on a total whim- several guys I work with were shooting matches and one of them had won some national matches, so it was fun to jump in and learn from all of these guys.  Made it fun to work with guys that wanted to go shoot and be competitive with an AR.  Fun times, but I ended up getting promoted and moved on a few years later.  I think I ended up selling my 20" Match target H-bar for $700 in the mid 2000's... after the ban was over it seemed like no one wanted them.  

In the late 90's I started building/buying M4gery clones, and built/bought Colt M4's and from there on I never touched another 20" AR15.  So about a year ago I decided to seek out another Colt 20" gun, and much to my dismay I saw that prices were very much up (last year at this time they were!).  I never really considered doing a M16A4 setup, but since I was looking at 20" guns it was definitely the way to go.  After only a few weeks of looking a really nice AR15A4 stamped gun that already had the KAC rails popped up locally at a fair price and the rest is history.  Picked out a good ACOG and hit the range... and now I'm hooked!!  

For anyone on the fence and if you have the proper range/land to shoot it, go for it!  Sometimes going back to an older setup can help freshen things up.  Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 1:45:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Are Colt upper receiver groups in stock anywhere?
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 2:37:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By pezboytate:
Are Colt upper receiver groups in stock anywhere?
View Quote
You can get Brownell'd
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 2:46:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Just because something is a better tool, doesn't take away the positives of an existing tool.

Yep, it's heavy with seemingly 24" of pic rails. Yep, it's not free floated which could affect accuracy. Yep, the marines fucked up by forcing that A2 length stock on us. Yep, a rifle doesn't clear a house as easy as an SBR.

But none of those are indictments either (ehhh, weight to an extent). Flexibility to mount shit you need on the rail. Not free floated, but sure as hell not fragile like lots of FF tubes either. Still don't like the A2 stock Not everything a rifle needs to do is clearing 10x10 rooms and 20" turns trash can 5.56 into a formidable round and turns premium ammo into canned lightning. It also lends itself to being the most pleasant shooting and perfectly gassed AR configuration ever made too.

It's all about purpose. I wouldn't set one up as an HD rifle because they aren't ideal inside a house, but my 11.5 sure isn't ideal when popping coyotes at 300-400 either.
Page / 145
M16a4 (clone) picture thread (Page 138 of 145)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top