Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2007 7:30:23 AM EDT
I bought my AR because of worries of future bans.  I also picked up some C-products SS 30rd mags.  My question is how do you test for reliablity?  
I am not in position to take a carbine course at this time but would like to know that my gun works reliably before I go.  
Right now I mostly take it to the range to shoot while my rifle is cooling down.  Playing around I'll double tap into different human silohette's at 25 and 50 yards for a magazine than move on to other guns.  Not really difficult and doesn't seem to heat up or challenge the gun much.  This past weekend I took a couple of other guys with me and we shot 120 rounds in a row.  Smoke was coming off my barrel and the handguard was getting warm, but no problems.  
So when do you start trusting your AR?
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 1:16:41 PM EDT
[#1]
A minimum of 500rds, including some rapid fire (as fast as you can pull the trigger and control the rifle).  I prefer a 1000rds, and don’t feel completely satisfied until 2000rds.  The only failure I’ve experienced was a loose carrier key at 700rds.
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 1:24:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 1:26:54 PM EDT
[#3]
500 rds is my minimum before I trust a firearm.

My colt has around 5K through it.  I trust it.

RRA has about 800 so I trust it but would still go for the colt if pressed.

New BM only has 250 through it so it is still eyed with suspicion.

In reality magazines give me the willies more than the rifles themselves.
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 1:37:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Buy an AK and forget about it.

NO NO NO JUST KIDDING JUST KIDDING...............CLOSING UP THE CAN O WORMS NOW.

But like the others have stated all you can really do is go out and shoot. As much as you can. As the actions break in they tend to be more and more reliable.

Link Posted: 6/14/2007 1:42:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I like to say that if my rifles shoot through their FIRST 500rnds of cheap ammo(wolf, silverbear) with out any problems then they should be ok. Im in the process of breaking in my first AR build. I have only put 200 through it as of now, with 1 feeding problem, and that was the 2nd round ever loaded.

ETA- before i fire any live ammo, I like to go to a safe place and cycle a full mag of live rounds through. I will also manualy action the rifle empty several times. I feel that this may help the mechanics "set in".
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 1:43:46 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Go shoot 10,000 rounds.
Keep VERY specific notes on every single failure.
Almost nobody does this.
As time passes, they forget specific failures and tend to say that their equipment is MUCH more reliable than it really is.

this is dern good advice.  Only trouble for me is that 10K (even reloading) at current ammo prices gives me a sick feeling.
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 3:03:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 3:12:37 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
this is dern good advice.  Only trouble for me is that 10K (even reloading) at current ammo prices gives me a sick feeling.

I'm currently reloading 223 ammo for 12.5 cents a round.
It used to be 7.5 cents a round.

i feel your pain
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 4:22:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 5:16:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Right click, save as......

Thanks PaulE!
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 6:02:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the information.  I guess I'll just keep shooting it until it does stop.  I have 300 rounds through the upper now but I'll shoot the next 200 all at once to see what happens when it gets really hot.
Numbering the mags and documenting stoppages are also good idea.  
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 6:17:44 AM EDT
[#12]
I run 500-800 with bcg well oiled for break in.As far as reliability goes,maintaining and thorough cleaning will prevent problems down the road.A problem or a breakage can happen at any time,during plinking,competition,or shtf,you just dont know.Some run 1000s of rounds wth out failure,some run only a 100 and have problems.Shoot it and maintain it!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top