Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2007 1:26:07 PM EDT
My reasoning's a long shot, but I'm up against something I cant explain.

I've been unable to see the front post clearly through the large aperture.  It's very blurry, but then again it's perfectly in focus when viewed through the small.  I still dont get that part...how small aperture's in focus but large isn't.
Anyways, one day I picked up an M4 at the shop and looked through the large aperture.  Holy shite!  The FP was in focus through the large aperture no matter where I aimed: lighted areas, dark areas, near, far, at the owner, customers, etc.  Just kidding.  
Went directly home aimed my rifle and it was blurry again.  WTF?

Only thing I can figure is, my carry handle is cut and the walls of the Bushy handle somehow helped my focus.  Thinking that might be the answer, I blackening my peep site and post but it barely helped, still blurry.  
Any explanations?  Is there a positive optic quality to a full carry handle?  Unfortunately I cant remember if I experienced blurryness before I cut the handle, it was years ago when I cut it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 2:08:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 2:18:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm sure your Dad warned you about excess handling of the package.

But really, is the peep the same distance from your eye as the other rifles?  It does sound like more of an eyesight issue.  Last chance is that the aperture is no longer square to the eye?

It is a funky problem.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 2:27:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Actually, its just a combination of physics and your eyes getting older.  The effect through the small aperture you are seeing is the same as that in a pinhole camera.  A very small aperture gives a very long dept of field.  

Many of us older types use the same principle to help see both the front and rear sight on our pistols. I made a simple version out of some electrical tape, a 3 hole punch, a nail, and a hammer. Stuck it to my shooting glasses right where I sight through and it works like a charm.

If you have a small enough hole (1/16" is a big hole), its amazing to be able to see a rear sight + the front sight + a target 100yds away all in focus.

Link Posted: 4/22/2007 2:53:06 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/Coloradoglocker/100_1772-1.jpg

That's an excellent idea, thanks!
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 3:16:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a cut carry handle on my go to AR and love it.. I like it more than the fancy flip up BUIS that I have on other AR's..

Must be you..
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 4:41:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I've seen folks at the range with some kind of dohicky on their glasses. I might have to try that, I have old eyes!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top