Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2007 6:48:32 PM EDT
Anybody have a set of MI 2-piece carbine rail handguards? What do you think of them?  How solid are they on the barrel?  Any movement?  How are they secured on the barrel?  Do they rate well compared to say a KAC RIS handguard?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 7:36:04 PM EDT
[#1]
ive heard pretty good stuff about them
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 7:51:48 PM EDT
[#2]
the MIs they are some of the best for the price imo--great fit and finish and they fit tight

the non-FF simply replace the std HGs by locking into the delta ring and foward cap

the KACs i have seen lock up real tight also, and its just as comparable if not a tad better than the MIs...if you got the money, opt for the KAC
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 7:55:33 PM EDT
[#3]
height=8
Quoted:
the MIs they are some of the best for the price imo--great fit and finish and they fit tight

the non-FF simply replace the std HGs by locking into the delta ring and foward cap

the KACs i have seen lock up real tight also, and its just as comparable if not a tad better than the MIs...if you got the money, opt for the KAC

+1
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 8:13:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I have 2 sets & they are anything but tight. They are made of very nice material & the finish is awesome. I'm not sure if the slop in the 2 sets is due to any manufacturing tolerance or if it's due to the uppers they're installed on. I have to keep them tight with zip-ties & they work fine otherwise. I would buy another set if I needed to though.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 8:15:24 PM EDT
[#5]
The MI #17 2-piece rails lock up as tight as the KAC RIS because they are secured using the same method: Wedged in between the handguard cap and the delta ring assembly.  There is slight play in both units.  I used to own the MI#17's and have handled the KAC RIS.  They are good enough for lights and foregrips, but I would not trust them to hold a zero on an optic or laser.

I sold my MI#17's and bought a KAC RAS to replace them.  I am much happier with this unit.  The rails lock on incredibly tight and there is no movement at all!  This is because they are not only secured between the handguard cap and delta ring assembly, but they also lock to the barrel nut.  If they move, they are taking the barrel with them!  This is why the Military has been using these as standard issue.  The only unit still using actively purchasing/issuing the RIS is the Navy SEALs.  The reason they like it is because it lacks the barrel nut clamp, thus not making it peculiar to M4 profile barrels.  This allows them to mount RIS rails on weapons with heavier barrel profiles.

The MI's are great for starter rails on a budget, but I highly recommend the KAC RAS.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 9:42:21 PM EDT
[#6]
my MI is tight as a bullfrogs ass

mine has grooves that lock on the barrel nut
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 9:45:32 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
my MI is tight as a bullfrogs ass

mine has grooves that lock on the barrel nut

There is absolutely NO play in my MI 17

ETA:  mine also locks onto the barrel nut.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 9:47:03 PM EDT
[#8]
the MI pc. FF rails are really great. They fit tight as you could ever want.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 10:16:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I have the MI FF system on my M4, cant beat them.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 11:03:47 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+1 here, too.
Again, great fit and finish, they lock up very tight, have a nice styling...I've had 0 problems with them and would highly recommend them.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 2:34:11 AM EDT
[#11]
I love my MI’s. I’m completely content with them.

Link Posted: 4/22/2007 2:56:50 AM EDT
[#12]
i have 3 sets, all lock up rock solid. excellent workmanship, laser etched. great product
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 2:58:16 AM EDT
[#13]
What they said. Fit and finish is excellent. The overall quality is top notch IMO.

Link Posted: 4/22/2007 4:09:58 AM EDT
[#14]
I have two sets of FF MI HG and one set of the non-FF HG.

The FF lock to the barrel nut and will not move. The lockup is contoured enough so it will not slip.

The non-FF took me some effort and a handguard tool to get on and has absolutely zero play.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 4:18:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Same as everyone else said, they are great for the price and installation is Marine proof.

A bit on the heavy side but not too noticeable and well worth the duckets.

P
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 5:35:13 AM EDT
[#16]
A downside is that they are wide, at least the Floated ones are.  
But if you're like me and run a VFG...the width isn't a big deal.  
A light will stick out further though.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top