Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2007 4:02:19 PM EDT
 Got to the range today for the first time with a RRA NM I bought several weeks ago.
 Chambered the first round from the mag that came with the rifle OK, fired that round and the ejector threw the empty about 10 ft. to the right but the carrier did not pick up and chamber the next round.This happened with 3 different mags and 3 different brands of ammo. I never could get it to pick up and chamber the next round.
I loaded one round in a mag with the carrier locked back, hit the bolt release and the round chambered and fired and the carrier locked back on the empty mag so it seems the carrier has plenty of travel.
Then a couple of times after loading a single round as above all I got when pulling the trigger was a very light primer dent with no ignition, kinda like the dent you get when chambering a round.
 I'm not a newbie to firearms, have built several 1911's from bare frame up and have done many action jobs on rifles and pistols so I guess my question is:
 Is any of this something I can fix or do I just need to send the rifle back to RRA?
 One good thing. When I did get a round downrange it went where it was supposed to. Took 8 rounds to get the scope zeroed( after using my LaserLyte) and then it was a one holer at 50 yards.

Link Posted: 4/21/2007 4:16:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Call RRA and send it back.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 4:30:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, thats what I was afraid of. One thing I forgot to mention was that when the carrier locks back on an empty mag the bolt itself is in the forward position instead of being back against the carrier face. Normal? The bolt is forward over the rounds in the mag with the carrier locked back when it fails to chamber, also normal? doesn't look right but I'm new to the AR and looking for all the help I can get.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 4:42:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Hammer Spring may be in wrong.  That can slow down the cycle enough to cause problems with feeding.  Also, the light primer hits might be indicative of loss of Hammer inertia.  When a part is in correctly this can effect one or more relationship during the firing cycle.  That is the first place I would look.  CARRIERKEY
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 4:53:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I hope RRA put the springs in right.
I'll try to be a little more clear. Fire one round, empty ejects and carrier goes forward and seats but did not pick up a round from the mag. Pull the carrier back and lock it and look into the chamber and the bolt is sticking out over the rounds in the mag(bolt is as far forward as it can go)Looks like the bolt itself may be keeping the carrier from picking up the next round in the mag.
Make any sense?
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 5:20:29 PM EDT
[#5]
The bolt forward about an inch is normal when the carrier is locked back. I believe the only time the bolt is back in the carrier is when it is in battery all the way forward. I don't think it is possible to have the bolt over a cartridge and the carrier locked back so the carrier probably is not in the locked position. I am by no means an expert but have you cleaned and lubed the gun? It sounds to me as if you don't have enough power to cycle the action if there is more than one cartridge in the mag maybe a gas problem. There are some guys on this board that really know their stuff and will give you better advice. Try the trouble shooting forum. Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 5:59:20 PM EDT
[#6]
 The rifle was detail cleaned after purchase and the carrier is locked back all the way and the bolt lugs are forward to about the middle of the top round in the mag. when the problem comes up.
 I can cycle the action and latch the carrier back  with no mag in the rifle and the bolt does indeed stick out about an inch from the carrier face.
 After firing one round and the carrier fails to pick the next I pull the charge handle all the way back(the empty case was already ejected), latch it, and that is when I see the bolt lugs sticking out over the middle of the top round in the mag.
 Pop the bolt catch and the next round chambers but a few times all I got was a small primer dent when pulling the trigger instead of popping the primer doing it this way
but most of the time the round went bang.  
 As I said, fire one round over an empty mag and the carrier locks back the way it should so it looks like the carrier has enough travel, just not picking up the next round.
 This thing has a two stage trigger that I'm not familar with yet but I can hear the hammer fall when I only get the primer dent instead of ignition so maybe it not going into full cock?
 I can cycle the action by hand and all is OK, loads and ejects just fine and I thought about a gas problem but the carrier locks back ok firing one round over an empty mag.
I hate to think about sending it back to RRA,and hoped to find a solution here.

Link Posted: 4/22/2007 1:45:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I think the problem is in the bolt/carrier unit. The only way I can see for the bolt to stick out further than an inch from the face of the carrier is if the bolt cam pin was not present. With the carrier locked back it's a good two inches to the center of a round in the mag. Take the carrier out and see if the bolt stops and the cam pin is present. I am by no means trying to insult you only help. If you have done this already I am running out of ideas.I have read it is dangerous to shoot the gun with out the cam pin, This is according to the Bushmaster site. Good luck.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top