Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/19/2007 4:04:24 PM EDT
I need a cheap optic, $100 or less. What do you recommend?
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 4:07:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Irons.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 4:09:00 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Irons.

yep

OP you may wanna go to the Optics section.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 4:12:49 PM EDT
[#3]
LMT BUIS irons are nice. Windage and elevation adjustment. Or just a plain old A2 upper receiver works well, too.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 4:48:23 PM EDT
[#4]
3X9 Tasco or Simmons scope, about 50 bucks, mount, about 25 bucks, rings, about 10 bucks.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 4:55:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Leapers T168 6x illuminated reticle

$45'ish at CheaperThanDirt
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 5:01:23 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

does that thing really work?
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 5:04:07 PM EDT
[#7]
This is the one that I have. If you keep checking back from time to time, they get them in- but they go fast.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=746570

This scope is an incredible bargain at the original price, but for $99, it seems almost too good to be true. It's bright and clear at all settings, has a nice pebble finish, holds it's zero, and is shock proof, waterproof, and has a lifetime warranty.
Mine is are mounted with Burris Xtreme rings.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 5:15:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a Pentax Gameseeker 4-12 and I love it. They can be found for $120-130 and have a bullet drop compensator as well. My buddy loves it and would trade me for his Burris 3X9 in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 5:23:05 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes sir, a couple people have it and like it.

I plan on getting it soon.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 6:34:04 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I recommend waiting until you can afford an optic that is worth a shit. Ive had relatively bad luck about getting what I pay for I'm sure, but wait until you can afford what you REALLY want and you wont have any regrets about it. For example:

I had a red dot sight and mount for an AK. I bought them cheap at a gun show (this was when I was new to all this). They were shitty both. The mount wouldnt hold zero after disassembly/reassembly (dust cover mount) and an adjustment knob siezed and broke off the sight while trying to get something resembling a zero. (NCstar) Oh and the battery life was less than an hour.

I have a springfiled XD .45 with over $500 invested in it. I like the gun a lot. It is too big to carry in pretty much april through september in hot and humid alabama. I have a Khar CW40 (the economy line version of the polymer framed .40 cal). It is small enough to carry in summer clothes. It is also currently at the factory getting a problem with the sear fixed (manufacturing defect). I also spent some $25 getting a new front sight installed after the first one flew off in the first 100 rds. I now have just under $500 invested in this pistol. Ive got a grand in new age technology, low cost pistols, and neither one of them is currently any use as a carry gun.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 6:36:12 PM EDT
[#11]
The SPOT red dot, available from CS Gunworks and others.

Seems to be 3/4 of an Aimpoint at 1/2 the price.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 7:49:59 PM EDT
[#12]
I had the S.P.O.T sight for a while and it's ok. However, I ended up selling it and getting what I really wanted to begin with which is a EOTech.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 7:53:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Personally I would stick with iron sights and wait until I saved up and caught a smoking deal for something nice on the EE.
Trust me, I bought cheap optics when I first got inte ARs. Not worth it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 8:08:00 PM EDT
[#14]
i bought a red dot from 1337tactical.com and so far so good.  people may talk smack about it, but so far with about 1000 rounds through it still is holds zero so i cant complain.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 8:14:14 PM EDT
[#15]
I would spend the money and go with an Eo Tec or Aimpoint. Once you buy either of these quality units, you'll never go back.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 12:12:38 AM EDT
[#16]
These guys speak the truth but if you want a cheap red dot email this guy.

[email protected]

$68 shipped

Magnification:1×
Unlimited eye relief
Objective Lens: 30mm
Exit Pupil: 28mm
Length: 120mm
Eye Relief: Free
Field of View (@100yards): 57"
Monotube scope ,beautiful complement and cool look
Shock proof for any size gun
High-durability aluminum alloy with black matt
Feature 1/2 M.O.A windage and elevation adjustments
Mount for Standard weaver style bases includes

I splurged and got a real aimpoint from a dealer that cannot be spoken of on Arfcom and I'm happy knowing that it was the low bidder for the .gov contracts.

Seriously it is nice and durable. If you're at the 3 gun match next month at CMMG I'll let you try it out.

Link Posted: 4/20/2007 12:55:27 AM EDT
[#17]
I use a Simmons 1.5-5x20 shotgun scope on one of my ARs and really like it. It's not by any means perfect, but it gets me the magnification that I want for that rifle. At the low end of magnification I can kind of use it with both eyes open like a red dot. The funky cross is big enough that I can quickly get on target for close stuff. I then can turn up the magnification for shots as far as I feel are capable with the rifle and cartridge combo. I also picked it up from CDNN when they had them for $50 on closeout. The scope is made for a shotgun, so I think the recoil of an AR should be no problem, which it hasn't been so far. The glass is not the clearest, but decent for what it is. It's better than a lot of scopes like Tasco, Barska and BSA.

I also love a scope that I got at a show a while ago. The only issue is that I haven't used it much other than a short time on a 10/22. I switched it out for a red dot for the time being.
Konus 3-12X 50MM Illuminated

The glass on this scope is dam clear for the price. It's also an etched reticle as well. The construction also appears to be of decent quality as well. A friend who is very picky about scopes even said it was a decent scope. I think the pro versions of these scopes are an excellent value............ of course, I want more time with it to be sure. I did accidentally have my 10/22 slide off my trucks bumper onto the ground with it on. It landed on the scope. I picked it up and brushed the dust off and proceeded to hit small rocks out at 100 yards. It has a very thin reticle in the center which is illuminated which is very nice. i paid just over $100 for it which was lucky. I'm pondering on getting one of the 1.5-6X ones as well to try out. The FOV isn't the best, but if the glass is as nice as the one I have, it's well worth the $79 or so

The scope is made in China for an Italian company...... go figure.

I plan on using it on my DPMS 308 if it ever gets in. I'll probably switch it out for a Bushnell 3200 10X at some point and put it back on a 22 bolt as the very fine reticle screams 22 varmitter.    

Link Posted: 4/21/2007 7:28:24 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

If you "need" it for plinking, then pretty much anything will work.  If not for plinking, don't bother - use your irons and save your money to get something worth it later, or spend it on practice ammo.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 8:55:20 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm happy with my Leapers 30mm 3-12X44 Mini Size AO Mil-Dot Scope for range and light hunting duty.  It isn't as durable as a ACOG, it's like a std hunting scope you find on many rifles. The best thing about it over the other scopes listed is that it is compact. At about 10 1/2" it fits on my Elite CAR without being too bulky. Dave's Collectibles sells them for $120.  He also sells rings for it Here.  

I got it with a set of their high rings with it but found that I wanted an added 1/2" riser with them because I have astigmatism in my eyes and keeping my head more upright rather than rolling it to the right helps my accuracy.  I happened to find a ARMS mount/BUIS for cheap on EE but YMS sells one for $25 that you can add later if you decide you want one.

Over 6,000 rds and it's still bright, clear, and solid as a rock and works great.  I adjust the target turrets by hand all the time when shooting at my range because I can vary my shots from 25 – 500 yds.  They maintain their positive clicks and the reticle stays put.  No problem with drift either.  Is it 'tactical'?  No, but has it been a good value range optic at about $135 including rings?  Yes, for me it has.

It's specs:

Model:                                                SCP3-M3124AOMD
Magnification:                                      3X-12X
Tube Dia.:                                           30mm
Objective Dia.:                                     44mm
Field of View @100 yards:                      32.0 ’-11.5’
Eye Relief:                                           3.4" -3.0"
Exit Pupil:                                            14.7mm-3.7mm
Click Value@100 yards:                         1/4” (Adjustable Target Turrets)
Length:                                               10.6 "
Weight:                                               21.2oz
Parallax Setting:                                  10 yds - infinity

BTW, another inexpensive but practical addition if you have an adjustable stock is a CAA Stock Saddle.  You can find them for $20 and it helps a lot with keeping a good cheekweld.  Same principle as the LMT stock but about $200 cheaper.

Link Posted: 4/21/2007 9:15:15 AM EDT
[#20]
You get what yo pay for...  100.00 won't buy anything good in the world of optics. Save your pennies and pick up something decent in the EE.  
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 9:20:57 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm liking mine so far.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 9:48:53 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm liking mine so far.

I had one before I got my 3x12 above and it also performed very well as a carry handle scope.  Solid and clear, however, while I really liked the ability to use the irons with it, I found that my old eyes just needed a higher magnification to be able to see the target out at 400 - 500 yds.

Link Posted: 4/21/2007 10:00:55 AM EDT
[#23]
I do envy you guys that have the best optics but living on fixed income I have to make do.  I have buis rear sight on the Bushie M4. And a Barska 3X9 that ran around $59 less shipping. mounted atop the removable carrying handle. I am happy with it and you can see and use the iron sights if necessary.  

However I seldom mount the scope and carrying handle. Also have an older Russian night sight that mounts on the A3 handle but iron sight (BUIS) is the normal here.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top