Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/19/2007 8:33:12 AM EDT
I getting ready to buy my first AR, I'm 90% sold on a JP Enterprises. I’m having a hard time finding any information from people who have used them.  I realize I could possibly save some money if I piece one together but I prefer to buy a nice quality unit already done. I will be using this for recreational use and local club matches, I don’t expect to be shooting over 300 yards and 90% of my shooting will be 50-100 yards . I need help with barrel length, I was looking at a 16" but now I'm thinking a 18" would be better over all… if I go to 20" will I see any benefits? And what about the Heat Sink they offer, it looks like a good idea…
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 9:28:05 AM EDT
[#1]
I like there brake......got the bennie coolie thingy, it on a 16" .75dia
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 10:19:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Good stuff and good people to deal with.  I have bought at least 4 of their uppers and parts kits.  
I liked to build up their expedition 16" uppers befoe the sunset of the ban.  My BIL bought one of their complete rifles at Knob Creek a couple years ago.  It is still running just fine.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 10:19:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm sorry I don't have a JP Rifle, but was once very interested in their rifles.  They seem to be geared towards the target shooting crowd more than anything.  A lot of the upgraded features on their rifles are geared toward precision and tight tolerances more than reliability tolerances you would find on most other AR's.

I think if you are mostly going to be shooting at 100 yards or less, than an 18" barrel would work great.  I think that a 16" would shoot very accurate at that distance but 2-4" may help you tighten up your groups when shooting at 100 yards or more.

You may also want to check out the Bushmaster Varminter series...We have one with a 24" bbl and it holds very tight groups at 100 yrds...Although now I think that the 24" barrel is overkill...I would get the 20" Varminter if I had to redue it.  The gun has a fluted barrel, and two stage trigger that I think is pretty nice.

Link Posted: 4/19/2007 10:26:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes you can put one together for less, but JP makes good stuffs (I have a CTR02).  You won't find too much info on JP rifles here, but go to Brian Enos Forrums
you will find more info in the 3 gun section.

With regards to barrel length, either 16" or 18" will do the job nicely.  I use both 16" and 18" out to 400 yds, just have to know the ballistic of each barrel length.  Won't need the heat sink unless you plan to do mag dumps (kinda expensive rifle to do that with, but it's your choice )
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 10:36:26 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
...A lot of the upgraded features on their rifles are geared toward precision and tight tolerances more than reliability tolerances you would find on most other AR's.

JP uses Wylde chamber in his match barrel, which is the same as RRA and WOA barrels.  I've seen JP rifles puked at matches, but that was due to running the adjustable gas system too light or not well maintained.  The standard JP15 without the LMOS is just as reliable as any other well made AR's.  I run JP LMOS system and match triggers in all my rifles and have had good results with them.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 2:58:00 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Good stuff and good people to deal with.  I have bought at least 4 of their uppers and parts kits.  
I liked to build up their expedition 16" uppers befoe the sunset of the ban.  My BIL bought one of their complete rifles at Knob Creek a couple years ago.  It is still running just fine.

JP not JT, I believe your expedition kit was from JT.....
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 9:15:36 AM EDT
[#7]
I have had my JP for few months now and i must say the gun is perfect!

I have a CTR02 upper with 18" barrel in a JP15 lower. I have not had any troubles with reliability, it has a lmos and adjustable gas system. This Rifle is really "easy" to shoot in competitions, since the mechanical accuracy is SO good. I can shoot much faster, since i don't have to concentrate so much in aiming. http://www.hunt101.com/img/472471-big.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/img/482528-big.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/img/482529-big.jpg
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 10:03:48 AM EDT
[#8]
4 JP rifles since 1997 and still have all of them.  They work AND are more accurate than just about anything out there for the uncompromising reliability you get.

ANY rifle will jam/puke if not properly maintained.  JP's have a knack though for keepin' on runnin' if you just feed it some more oil.  

As for accuracy, 0.17" groups are near impossible to beat on an AR platform.  I guarantee you nothing at Bushmaster can meet that.  

As for distance, a 16" rifle will drill out to 600 yards all day.  You lose a little (and we're talking less than 300 fps) with a 16" vs. 20"...probably a lot less.  I'm ordering a new CTR-02 when I get back from Afghaniland with JP's new 16" barrel.  It'll fit in nice with the 20", 2-18" and re-barreled 16" JP that I have.  

Buy with confidence.  Oh, and if you need some real world qualifications, the Viking Tactics line of JP rifles designed and spec'ed by Kyle Lamb, have more than enough credentials.

Rich
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 10:05:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Everything that JP does is absolutely first class.  Actually, their products are in a class of their own way above first class.  JP products are extremely well engineered and manufactured.  Their products are also extremely well thought out.  JP and his design team are well informed and ahead of the game.  BTW, I do own their products.

Gary

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top