Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/17/2007 5:27:07 PM EDT
I would like opinions and feedback from those of you who own, have used, been issued, or figured out how to tear up one of the bayonets designed to fit on our beloved black rifle. I am wanting to learn more about the m-7, m-9, and the OKC Marine Corps bayonet. How well do they work as bayonets and as knives in general? Any website links or posted photos would be appreciated and I'd love to hear from any of anyone that's carried one into harm's way. Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 5:45:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Whats really to know? OKC makes a nice bayonet, never really used it to cut much other than 550 cord and random stuff though.
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 6:41:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I have some M7 bayonets like Imperial, General Cutlery and Eickhorn-Solingen (Germany), they're similar to the M6 bayonets which are used on the M14 rifles, same narrow blade but with different attach lock design.

I also have a OKC3S bayonet and the blade seems a little thinner than other M9 bayonets I've seen before.

Other M7 manufacturers are:

Bauer Ord. Corp.
Carl Eickhorn [for Colt]
Colt
Columbus Milpar & Mfg.
Conetta Mfg.
Frazier Mfg.

M9 manufacturers:

Phrobis III
Buck
Lan-Cay
Ontario Knife Co.

There's also a new OKC M10 bayonet which is similar to the M9 except with ergonomic handle and MOLLE compatible sheath.

Ref. M7 Bayonet at Wikipedia link

Ref. M9Bayonet.com link

Ref OKC-3S Bayonet Info link

From top: IMI-Solingen Galil M7, OKC3S, Eickhorn-Solingen M7, and Imperial Knife M7
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 7:44:28 PM EDT
[#3]
There is not much use for a bayonet these days other than using it as a standard knife. Besides training in Basic in the whole 10 years of my army career I have yet to use it on my rifle. When my unit deployed to both Afghanistan and Iraq we did not even take them out of the country. We took out issued Benchmade autos and our personal knives.
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 8:17:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 8:21:09 PM EDT
[#5]
The M7 bayonet is the same bayonet as the M6, M5A1, M5 and M4 bayonets that have been in service since WW2.

They just fit on different rifles.

M7  (M16/M4)
M6  (M14)
M5/M5A1  (M1 Garand)
M4  (M1 Carbine)
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 8:28:56 PM EDT
[#6]
One thing is the same..look at the lock mechanism on the M1 carbine bayonet and the carbines lug...its the same as the M16.The trend with the bayonet starting with the M1 carbine of the blade style is the same as the M3 trench knife of WW2 dont know wich was first the knife im assuming.From then on its been pretty much the same blade stryle until M9.Its funny the garand and M14 have the same type of lug and the M1 carbine and M16 the same lug and lock up.
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 9:16:06 PM EDT
[#7]
The M9 is my favorite. My lancay has a thick blade and it seems to take a nice edge, but I have never used it for much, it mostly just sits in the back of my safe. My M7 is ok, It seems to be of good quality but it has this stink I cant get rid of.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 5:26:33 PM EDT
[#8]
sorry to disappoint you ARin, ... wait a minute no I'm not ! I just finished Basic myself, and judging by how little emphasis is put on bayonet practice, I don't expect to have to use it. Then again, I never expect to use my seatbelt either, ,  so who knows what the future will bring.

Oh yeah, the M1 carbine and M16 bayonets are similar but not the same. I wonder who was the genius who the slight change between them and made all those M1 bayonets collectors items?

I guess it doesn't make much difference, but I believe the M16 bayonets would be more useful as a tool if they had a solid pommel like the M14 and Garand bayonets. I've used the pommel on an old air force survival knife as a hammer before. The M16 bayonets look like you'd destroy them if you tried that.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 6:39:17 PM EDT
[#9]
There were some Brits in Iraq that did'nt expect to use them...untill they did.  The bayonet is not outdated, just underutilized.  Get yourself an M9 or the new Marine Corp sword, er, I mean bayonet.  You won't be dissapointed, Ontario makes great versions of both at a very reasonable price.
Scott
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 6:55:17 PM EDT
[#10]
I just picked this up at the NRA Convention from the Ontario Knives booth.  It is a new version of the Army's M10 and features a tanto-style blade.  It also uses a different type of steel rather than stainless.  While the this means that the blade needs to be kept oiled, the new steel gives this bayonet 11x more punture power than the M9 and M10.  The rep at the Ontario booth said it will punture body armor plates.  Regardless, I'm not going to try it.  I just thought it was cool.

The handle has the same elliptical cross section of the M10 and has some type of elastomer coating.  "US ARMY" is molded into the handle on one side and the Army Eagle Emblem is molded into the other.  The blade has "ONTARIO" etched onto one side and "COMBAT" into the other.

Link Posted: 4/18/2007 7:08:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Oh yeah, I forgot to add:

I was issued an M7 in the IDF, but never carried it in combat.  I carried a KaBar Spec Plus instead.  We didn't do much training with bayonets in the IDF.  But, I did see one kid put one through his boot after going over a wall in basic.  He landed and the rifle skewered him to the ground, cutting off 3 toes through his boot.

I never had need for a bayonet in a gunfight.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 3:54:45 AM EDT
[#12]
The only time that ours came out of the arms room was for a post change of command where we marched with fixed bayonets!  Have carried them during the first Gulf War and OIF I,II, and III but never used them on the end of a rifle.

CD
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 8:28:17 PM EDT
[#13]
clasky, that is one cool bayonet. it looks like a tanto version of the USMC bayonet. how much was it? i'd love to get one.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 9:34:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Is this it?

http://www.knifecore.com/store/product.php?productid=17797&cat=0&page=1

no affiliation with the retailer no idea if they are reputable or not.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 7:52:22 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
clasky, that is one cool bayonet. it looks like a tanto version of the USMC bayonet. how much was it? i'd love to get one.

Follow the link that Raventai posted.  That is the bayonet.  It is being offered up for trials right now to the US Army for their new bayonet.  It's biggest selling point is the fact that it can punch through body armor.  
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 7:55:19 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Follow the link that Raventai posted.  That is the bayonet.  It is being offered up for trials right now to the US Army for their new bayonet.  It's biggest selling point is the fact that it can punch through body armor.  

IBTB
In before the ban

nice bayo. I got mine a couple years ago
cept mine is minus the serrated edge
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 8:42:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Who makes those long handled bayonets to fit the lugs that are too far from the muzzle. Kinda weird looking and only have seen one.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top