Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/13/2007 9:21:25 PM EDT
I just got an M&P 15A today. The Troy rear folding sight is almost impossible to get into the up position, because the release button is so hard to depress. Anyone else have this problem, and do you have any suggestions for me to loosen it up?

Thanks in advance.....
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 9:33:07 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I just got an M&P 15A today. The Troy rear folding sight is almost impossible to get into the up position, because the release button is so hard to depress. Anyone else have this problem, and do you have any suggestions for me to loosen it up?

Thanks in advance.....

To raise the sight, you just flip it up.  You depress the button to lower it.  It gets easier w/ use.
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 9:35:49 PM EDT
[#2]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

Thanks in advance.....

To raise the sight, you just flip it up.  You depress the button to lower it.  It gets easier w/ use.
It must be stuck in the down position then, because it will not come up. Thats why I thought the button had to be depressed.
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 9:44:21 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks in advance.....

It must be stuck in the down position then, because it will not come up. Thats why I thought the button had to be depressed.

I have Troy's on two guns, and neither was ever hard to raise up.  By the way, if you've never used them, I think you'll really like the Troy sights.  Hope it ends up working out for you.  Post back when you find out the problem.
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 9:48:09 PM EDT
[#4]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

Thanks in advance.....

I have Troy's on two guns, and neither was ever hard to raise up.  By the way, if you've never used them, I think you'll really like the Troy sights.  Hope it ends up working out for you.  Post back when you find out the problem.
Will do.
Link Posted: 4/14/2007 4:36:05 AM EDT
[#5]
How about a little CLP?  
Link Posted: 4/14/2007 7:24:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Maybe WD40 First then CLP
Link Posted: 4/14/2007 7:25:27 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
How about a little CLP?  

Yup.

Quoted:

Nope.  
Link Posted: 4/14/2007 8:18:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/14/2007 8:23:22 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Soak it with some form of penetrating lube and let it sit for a day, then work it back and forth.  I would rather have a BUIS that started out to stiff than a BUIS that flopped around and was too loose.

Yup, yup. I bought a Troy, it is a little stiff but I like it that way.
Link Posted: 4/14/2007 9:47:53 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Soak it with some form of penetrating lube and let it sit for a day, then work it back and forth.  I would rather have a BUIS that started out to stiff than a BUIS that flopped around and was too loose.

AGREED WD40 penetrates
Link Posted: 4/14/2007 9:49:00 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
How about a little CLP?  

Yup.

Quoted:

Nope.  

YOU NEED PENETRATION to CLEAN IT OUT CLP WONT DO THAT
Link Posted: 4/14/2007 10:02:08 AM EDT
[#12]
My Troy BUIS have slightly more resistance to raise it (+1 you don't have to push the side button to flip it up) but it's easier to fold it down after pressing the release button.

Maybe try SLiP 2000 weapon lubricant or equivalent lube.
Link Posted: 4/14/2007 10:19:08 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

YOU NEED PENETRATION to CLEAN IT OUT CLP WONT DO THAT

Wiki - CLP

CLP (spray) does just that.

Also, a new Troy sight doesn't need to be cleaned out, it just needs lubrication to help break it in.  
Link Posted: 4/14/2007 10:23:28 AM EDT
[#14]
I guess STICKMAN AND I KNOW NOTHING

CLP is BETTER PENETRATE THAN WD40 who would of KNOWN
Link Posted: 4/14/2007 10:40:03 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

same here.
Link Posted: 4/14/2007 11:10:39 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I guess STICKMAN AND I KNOW NOTHING

CLP is BETTER PENETRATE THAN WD40 who would of KNOWN

Stickman never said anything about WD40.  
Link Posted: 4/14/2007 11:25:05 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Also, a new Troy sight doesn't need to be cleaned out, it just needs lubrication to help break it in.  

+1

More than likely it just needs some CLP.

I was checking out a S&W AR just yesterday and first thing I noticed was how stiff the BUIS was to deploy. A little CLP was all I thought it would need. As mentioned above, better a little stiff at first till it gets broke in, than to flop around and not hold a consistent zero.
Link Posted: 4/14/2007 11:31:11 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Quoted:
I was checking out a S&W AR just yesterday and first thing I noticed was how stiff the BUIS was to deploy. A little CLP was all I thought it would need. As mentioned above, better a little stiff at first till it gets broke in, than to flop around and not hold a consistent zero.

The Troys lock in place. They can't "flop around" like some other brands.
Link Posted: 4/14/2007 11:41:21 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

The Troys lock in place. They can't "flop around" like some other brands.

Read what I said. I said it’s better to have a BUIS that is a little stiff than one that flops around. I never implied that the Troy would, or does flop around.  
Link Posted: 4/14/2007 3:53:09 PM EDT
[#20]
I have two Troy rear sights.  One is a M&P marked unit I bought from a guy that preferred a fixed BUIS.  The M&P marked Troy's release plunger is considerably stiffer than the other one.
Link Posted: 4/14/2007 6:05:59 PM EDT
[#21]
i just bought a set of M&P marked troy sights of EE. and they are quite abit stiffer than my standard troy sights i have. no big deal to me, i like them stiff. i wish my pri flip up front site/gas block was stiff like the troys, but it wobbles back and forth.
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 12:41:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Stiff is ALWAYS better than floppy.  Wait a minute.. What thread am I responding to???  Oh... Thats right, TROY sights.  Yes,,, I still say stiff is better.
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 12:57:25 PM EDT
[#23]
WD40 is the most overrated lubricant ever.  
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 7:38:25 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
WD40 is the most overrated lubricant ever.  

yeah no shit, its made with deisel fuel.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 10:56:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Thanks for the replies guy. It took me til today to get these because I forgot to subscribe to the thread. I finally got it up, and after the first time I just kept moving it up and down for a few minutes, and now its perfect.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 11:00:02 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I finally got it up, and after the first time I just kept moving it up and down for a few minutes, and now its perfect.

Link Posted: 4/21/2007 11:31:38 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Thanks for the replies guy. It took me til today to get these because I forgot to subscribe to the thread. I finally got it up, and after the first time I just kept moving it up and down for a few minutes, and now its perfect.

Glad you solved your "stiffness" problem.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 9:45:06 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Glad you solved your "stiffness" problem.
lmafao!! I set myself up for that one! Pricks!!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top