Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/5/2007 11:59:57 AM EDT
How difficult is it? What tools do I need?

Am I better off just having a place like ADCO do it?
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 10:37:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Depends on how it's attached.  Clamp on, taper pins, etc.

I personally don't believe in doing any upper mods myself.  It's Armorer level maintenance.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 10:40:56 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't believe its supposed to be to tough to do yourself. I'm a very picky person so when I bought my upper I had Tom at Mooney's remove it for me so I wouldn't scratch up the barrel doing it myself. Then I ordered a YHM front gas block with the bolt on clamps so I wouldn't have to worry about wiggling on the gas block and scratching up the barrel. I know, I know its a tool meant to be used but I'm just a perfectionist. The build forum has a how to that covers the removal of the front sight tower.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 10:48:57 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
How difficult is it? What tools do I need?

Am I better off just having a place like ADCO do it?

20 yrs ago I destroyed a Colt Comp Match Hbar barrel finish and destroyed the FSB completely  by whaling on the pins with a hammer, wrong sized punch and trying to hold it at the same time.  Couple that with driving the pins from the wrong side and you can see where I'm headed. I didn't know what i was doing but I was learning. Pretty expensive class.

Fast forward to now it takes about 2 minutes for even the toughest taper pins because of experience but mostly because of having the right tools.  I press pins out when I can, always press pins in and have a pretty good method for removing taper pins with a big hammer, small socket and a proper sized punch.

If you're going to do a bunch I would say get the proper tools and do it correctly. I think there's quite a few threads on the subject if you can search. If you're only doing this one I would find a local AR armorer in the hometown forum or ship it to any of the ARFCOM vendors and be done with it.

Good luck
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 10:54:42 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
20 yrs ago I destroyed a Colt Comp Match Hbar barrel finish and destroyed the FSB completely  by whaling on the pins with a hammer, wrong sized punch and trying to hold it at the same time.  Couple that with driving the pins from the wrong side and you can see where I'm headed. I didn't know what i was doing but I was learning. Pretty expensive class.

The baby Jesus cried that day.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 11:23:05 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The baby Jesus cried that day.

A lightning bolt should have struck me dead.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 12:53:37 PM EDT
[#6]
If the front sight base currently has straight pins, take to it with no fear with the correct size punch and a hammer. My Armalite fsb came right off and went right back on. No scratches to the barrel. I was nervous but the guys in the "Build it Yourself" forum talked me through it. It came out great.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 1:24:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Piece-O-cake if you have the right size drift pin punch. Just swapped one out for the first time last wkend. The drift pins on mine was tapered so they only come out/in one side.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 2:26:59 PM EDT
[#8]
If it is pinned I would take it to someone with the right tools.  No use screwing something up and costing allot more than trying to save 5 to 10 bucks.  Now it it is set screws, that is a piece of cake.  Pretty much self explainitory.  Righty tighty lefty loosey.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top