Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/26/2007 6:43:42 PM EDT
This may be a stupid question, but I have a Denny's 6.8 Recon Barrel which is Bead Blasted.  Is there any black paint that I can purchase from Home Depot/Lowes that I can paint my barrel?  I don't want something that will flake off after a couple of hundred rounds.  And if there is such a paint, is there a trick to painting it without taking the barrel off?  I just wanted to take the Troy handguards off and cover up the gas tube and front sight and paint the barrel.  Any help/suggestions appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 12:12:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Use BBQ black paint over high temp primer, and make sure to put it on in very fine mist coats with about 5 min between coats - thick paint will flake easier. use the blue tape to mask everything well....and don't let it run into the gas block - it can plug the gas port.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 3:56:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Send it out and have it "HK" coated.......my SS barrel looks great
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 4:46:50 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Use BBQ black paint over high temp primer, and make sure to put it on in very fine mist coats with about 5 min between coats - thick paint will flake easier. use the blue tape to mask everything well....and don't let it run into the gas block - it can plug the gas port.

Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 8:32:58 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Send it out and have it "HK" coated.......my SS barrel looks great

OK that's a new one on me. Got any more info on this? (Where, how much, durability, pics, etc.?)
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 8:38:05 AM EDT
[#5]
I used this combo on a ss bolt gun and it worked well. At an automotive paint store I purchased a spray can of "self etching primer" and then painted over it with a can of black epoxy home apliance paint that I bought at Home Depot. Did years ago and hasn't flaked yet. My ss wasn't bead blasted and that primer really did the job.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 12:47:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Thank you guys for all your help.

Before:

After:
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 1:18:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Wow great AR, glad to help...
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 1:35:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Looks like you did a good job. I really like it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 1:42:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks again guys.  Even my wife, likes the black one better .
This is my all-purpose AR.  It is pretty much the only one I shoot.  The only thing I would change would be the muzzle brake, but since I live in NJ the Vortex and Phantom are out of the question.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 1:44:23 PM EDT
[#10]
You used the BBQ paint, right?
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 1:46:50 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
You used the BBQ paint, right?

Yes.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 3:28:14 PM EDT
[#12]
If you ever want to use something more durable, I recommend Norrell's Molyresin in SOCOM flat black.  You need an airbrush to apply and it cure's in the oven at 300 F.

Your rifle looks great.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 4:12:11 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
If you ever want to use something more durable, I recommend Norrell's Molyresin in SOCOM flat black.  You need an airbrush to apply and it cure's in the oven at 300 F.

Your rifle looks great.

Thanks for the tip.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 8:22:58 PM EDT
[#14]
If it's the same BBQ paint I used, it gets harder after it heats up the first time (in the directions). The first time it starts to heat up, you'll notice a smell, it's just the last of the solvents being evaporated out as the final hardening occurs. Did this to a scratched up M4 16" and it didn't flake or anything, even with a couple thousand rounds through it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 9:24:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Watch out tho, the BBQ paint WILL bet eaten off, or fucked up by cleaning agents and oils,................I did a WASR(ak) not long ago, and it turned out great, at first then i went shooting and cleaned it up after words, and ended up with black all over my hands, i looked around the gun and found spots where oil and ran out of the dust cover down and down the rec leaving trails in the paint. NOTE, the brand i used was High Heat from walmart.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top