Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/26/2007 8:02:41 AM EDT
When firing my buddy's Oly AR15 you can distinctly hear the sound of a spring moving.  Is there a way to address that?  It seems to function fine so it's not a big deal but it would be nice if you didn't have to hear that every time you fired the weapon.  Obviously not a big deal but hey we're a picky lot.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 8:11:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 8:11:36 AM EDT
[#2]
a little grease will soften the noise.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 8:16:44 AM EDT
[#3]
If you don't like the "sproing" don't shoot it!!!!
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 8:30:47 AM EDT
[#4]
If it's a new rifle, the sproing noise should diminish some over a few hundred rounds.

Learn to embrace it! Love the sproing, and it will love you too.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 8:58:34 AM EDT
[#5]
It's normal

gives the weapon character
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 9:02:20 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
but hey we're a picky lot.

You're a picky lot, but you chose to buy an OLYMPIC ARMS rifle?

That's rich!
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 9:41:04 AM EDT
[#7]
New build - first build lessons.

I followed someone's internet instructions linked to this site, and liberally slobbered grease all over my buffer and spring.  My rifle short-stroked on its first shoot - failed to lock back and even failed to feed a couple times.  My smart adviser said the heavy grease was the cause.

I stripped the spring and buffer of all but a light coating of grease, and a) everything worked smother, without problems, and b) it still ran silent.  

It runs 100% smother with only a light coat of grease.  I think the obvious conclusion is valid - a little grease goes a long way.  

I am used to shooting .30-06 and .308, in Garands and an M14 clone.  The .223 does not have the same amount of recoil.  It involves a change of mind-set.  Little parts, little bullets, and aluminum receivers - who wudda guessed?

I really think a little lube on all moving metal-to-metal parts is good.  But not too much.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 9:42:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 9:48:38 AM EDT
[#9]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
I really think lube on moving metal-to-metal parts is good.  But not too much.

It is a good idea.  Just not on your buffer spring or inside your receiver extension.  I hear you, and don't want to argue the point - but has anyone personally experienced a bad result from using a little grease on the spring and buffer?  It is pretty standard to grease enclosed springs on firearms for long-term rust prevention and friction reduction. It feels right.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top